PS4 gets kernel level access on FW 4.06

C8YkhwRWsAANHFy.jpg

The PlayStation Vita isn't the only system that has scene news today, as a user named qwertyoruiop has done something huge with the PlayStation 4. On official firmware 4.06 he managed to get Kernel access through an exploit. Established PS4 hacker "Cturt" also tweeted out the following:

Failed to fetch tweet https://twitter.com/CTurtE/status/848472325007822848

The web exploit is claimed to work on 4.xx firmwares, a huge advance compared to the previous exploited firmware, 1.76. There is no guarantee of a CFW or backup loader at this point in time, but it is still a huge breakthrough in the PS4 homebrew scene.

:arrow: Source

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The kernel exploit works on 4.50 so get it quickly before sony sends another update.
No need to do this. You can disable automatic updates on the PS4 and you can update from USB at any time. If people are unsure, just don't update for now.

D

Deleted User

Being honest here, how useful is a backup loader when every time you insert disc it installs data from the disc. At this point is basically a way of saying "Hey now you don't have to change disc just to boot a game already loaded into your system" :wtf:

Yeah i know i answered my own question, but the fact the system loads data from disc into harddrive, what is the point of disc anyway? O_O
The sentimental value and for collectors

Reactions: Pandaxclone2

kiryu1

Trophies
XP
Country
Being honest here, how useful is a backup loader when every time you insert disc it installs data from the disc. At this point is basically a way of saying "Hey now you don't have to change disc just to boot a game already loaded into your system" :wtf:

Yeah i know i answered my own question, but the fact the system loads data from disc into harddrive, what is the point of disc anyway? O_O

mine's for collection. It really gets me happy whenever I see the shelf of my games and back-up loaders are a god-send since I'll only be popping the disc once and store them forever..

Last edited by kiryu1,

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll update my PS4 and just buy/trade for a new (or in this case, old) console with an exploitable firmware, thanks. It always makes me laugh when people hear about some kind of exploit and say how they won't update "just in case." "Just in case" could mean days, weeks, months, years, or possibly never.

Reactions: scubix

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Tbh, I'm not really fussed about this or potential exploits that may lead into CFW/loaders for the PS4. I was heavily into drive flashing/Jtag/RGH Xbox 360's and when the PS3 had Teensy boards, as a boot dongle (still have them) up until CFW became a thing.

Now, I tend to use my legit Slim PS3 (collecting originals) and have a nice library of original PS4 titles in my collection so far. The fun days are long gone imo and now it's just more of a cat & mouse game, lawsuits and too much negative scene drama, etc.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'll update my PS4 and just buy/trade for a new (or in this case, old) console with an exploitable firmware, thanks. It always makes me laugh when people hear about some kind of exploit and say how they won't update "just in case." "Just in case" could mean days, weeks, months, years, or possibly never.
I agree, but it does depend on circumstances. For example, I have a gaming PC and and Xbox One so I can afford to not update my PS4 in the short term. I'll likely update when a game I want appears, which is likely to be Kingdom Hearts 3. Until then, my console it likely to stay turned off anyway.

I certainly won't be keeping my Switch on a low firmware, however - I use it daily.

Chris313

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That is a huge breakthrough in homebrew for ps4.I hope now after a year or so we may get alot of homebrew software and maybe even a backup loader yes please

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
If there ever is a CFW, I wonder how it would work for updates for the Pro. Some devs have taken to releasing Pro updates after the game has released, then again it may be something and nothing. I'm just wondering whether Sony would try to tie this down by making them release the updates via the PSN. Who knows anyway, time will tell.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
well,
x1 has the most secured gameOS, but microsoft hasn't a good bluray player,
ps4 has the most secured bluray player, but gameOS sucks AF.

now x1 with sony's bluray player= most secured consol on EARTH EVER!

hackers hire and work for m$, 100% M$ cospiracy against $ony confirmed

Last edited by leon315,

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If there ever is a CFW, I wonder how it would work for updates for the Pro. Some devs have taken to releasing Pro updates after the game has released, then again it may be something and nothing. I'm just wondering whether Sony would try to tie this down by making them release the updates via the PSN. Who knows anyway, time will tell.
They pretty much will everytime there is a breakthrough even if its a small exploit on the PS4 they react with an update to block it out. People v-blogging this all over youtube or mainstream media doesn't really help where theres always Sony Scouts reporting these things

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
They pretty much will everytime there is a breakthrough even if its a small exploit on the PS4 they react with an update to block it out. People v-blogging this all over youtube or mainstream media doesn't really help where theres always Sony Scouts reporting these things

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. Kind of ironic to think that Sony would use ideas from people v-blogging their concerns, but I've often thought about how accessible YouTube is considering the amount of videos you get on how to mod consoles.

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My PS4 has been packed away since I finished the Destiny story mode about a month after release, I have no idea what firmware it runs, 2.xx I would imagine. But it's been waiting for a day like this... now to track down USB update files before Sony removes them all.

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If there ever is full cfw I'm pretty sure you wont have to worry about updates, youll be able to get them somehow.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Too late. They are really scared right now.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ps4-firmware-collection.447573/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/4M3E1Lz6l9E?si=fSYNJxYTa0czXVow