OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
well it's official, the wii is the highest selling NINTENDO console of all time,
here is a quote from IGN:

"Wii Sales Overtake Original NES
There's a new king of Nintendo consoles.
by Jim Reilly

February 1, 2010 - The Wii has officially become the best selling Nintendo home console of all-time, passing the original Nintendo Entertainment System released in the 1980s.

During the company's investor call last week, president Satoru Iwata provided an update on life-to-date Nintendo Wii sales. The console has moved 67.45 million units worldwide since its release in 2006 and has now passed the original NES, which has sold 67.45 million units worldwide to date.

"It has replaced NES to become the best selling Nintendo home videogame console of all time," Iwata stated.

The Nintendo DS is also now the best selling Nintendo product ever. The handheld has sold 125.13 million units worldwide, passing the entire Gameboy series, which sold 118.69 million units.

"Needless to say, these are just two milestones of a larger journey in our efforts to reach the ultimate goal of bringing one home console for every household and one handheld for everyone," Iwata added."

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
acturus said:
well it's official, the wii is the highest selling console of all time,
here is a quote from IGN:

"Wii Sales Overtake Original NES
There's a new king of Nintendo consoles.
by Jim Reilly

February 1, 2010 - The Wii has officially become the best selling Nintendo home console of all-time, passing the original Nintendo Entertainment System released in the 1980s.

During the company's investor call last week, president Satoru Iwata provided an update on life-to-date Nintendo Wii sales. The console has moved 67.45 million units worldwide since its release in 2006 and has now passed the original NES, which has sold 67.45 million units worldwide to date.

"It has replaced NES to become the best selling Nintendo home videogame console of all time," Iwata stated.

The Nintendo DS is also now the best selling Nintendo product ever. The handheld has sold 125.13 million units worldwide, passing the entire Gameboy series, which sold 118.69 million units.

"Needless to say, these are just two milestones of a larger journey in our efforts to reach the ultimate goal of bringing one home console for every household and one handheld for everyone," Iwata added."

WTF, I didn't know Gameboy sold so less?
Wow, massive feat for the DS.

What about the other consoles, like PSX/PS2?

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PS2 sold over 138 million copies. It's still the best selling system of all time. No other home console has sold as well as the PS2.

They announced their sales last year in October. Nice edit, arcturus.

acturus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Windaga said:
The PS2 sold over 138 million copies. It's still the best selling system of all time. No other home console has sold as well as the PS2.

They announced their sales last year in October. Nice edit, arcturus.
thank you, figured i should make it a little clearer

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
tj_cool said:
I wonder if the Wii would be this possible if it couldn't be hacked

Sure, WiiFit/WiiSports just appeal to a much bigger audience, I'm sure the Wii would have sold that well even without hacking.
It would just take a longer time then.

House Spider

In the GBAtemp attic.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net
XP
Country
Im not really crazy about the Wii but I never realised how many are.

EDIT:Fixed up the grammer Omocho.
nyanya.gif

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
N64Temp said:
Im not really crazy about the Wii but I never realised how much are.

how many*
...sorry, can't stand insanely bad grammar.

The Wii is appealing for several reasons.
1: it's doing something new
2: Appeals to a pretty wide audience. (Ages 4-12, 30- 70. approx)
3: Cheap, small, easy to set up
4: Easy to hack (though I bet you most people don't have it hacked, so many adults are oblivious to that kind of thing)
5: HUGE health craze. (especially since it WORKS...)

Probably other reasons.

PS2 has a ton of sales, but we also have to remember that's because it's the poor mans PS3. (where it is still getting a decent amount of games, and already has a huge library thanks to still being an active console).
Hell, i've been itching to mod mine (too lazy to go buy action replay >_>). I have like 50 games I wanna play on it.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Poor Mans PS3? What you takin' about, Willis? I wouldn't want a PS3. Not enough good games. 360 has enough online games, so that evens out. Wii, however, has so many more games that I wanted though.

acturus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
shinkukage09 said:
Poor Mans PS3? What you takin' about, Willis? I wouldn't want a PS3. Not enough good games. 360 has enough online games, so that evens out. Wii, however, has so many more games that I wanted though.
ps3 has way more better games than the 360. i didn't even turn my 360 on for a year (mass effect 2 made me turn it on, and online sucks, paying for it sucks and it's pretty much just first person shooters), and my ps3 gets used every day (online is free and has free online, and alot of online games). my wii only gets used when my 5 year old wants to play mario (that will change when metroid comes out though)

BlackDave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
acturus said:
shinkukage09 said:
ps3 has way more better games than the 360. i didn't even turn my 360 on for a year (mass effect 2 made me turn it on, and online sucks, paying for it sucks and it's pretty much just first person shooters), and my ps3 gets used every day (online is free and has free online, and alot of online games). my wii only gets used when my 5 year old wants to play mario (that will change when metroid comes out though)

You said the xbox online sucked twice and the PS3 online is free twice..... Um... they each have their own good things..... I owned an Xbox, Own a Wii and want to own a PS3.

Xbox has it's good. I mean more online playability and a lot more features like Windows Media Center Extension, Ease of use Netflix (no CD) and great games.... it's true most great games for the xbox are shooters, but that's just a phase, like Guitar Hero. Oh and you can play your music during your games (why didn't sony let that happen?)

PS3 has a lot of features, an OS can be installed on it. It can recognize keyboards and mouse fast and there's an internet browser (xbox failed there). It has PSP connectivity uses blu-ray, has way more processors than the xbox 360 so games should run better but then again that's up to the game developer to understand how the ps3 works.

The Wii may be the dead-end of console graphics but it proves that game play is what really counts in a game, not pretty little movie games where you play 20 mins to unlock 1 hour movie (hint: FFXIII). Sure it had its flaws in the control but the motion plus makes it better. Plus any person of any age can play, understand, and appreciate wii games.

Back to the subject. Nintendo will always be one of the best at selling game system, not because of graphics and such but because of innovations and new ways to play, even if it means buying the motion plus, wii speak, wii zapper, wii vitality sensor (my wallet is crying) and other accessories (next we will have a full-body suit complete the "feeling of being in the game"

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its really not that much different, its surpassed the previous records because there are more people now! Its only common sense it would sell that much. So I don't know if it deserves praisies for the Wii and DS to surpass their parents...its a feat but if a parent buys their two or three children a NES when it came out, odds are those children will buy future systems from nintendo as well. My family has four kids and I have a Wii and my sister has a Wii

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
PS2 sold so much because it launched really early with in a market with no proper competitors.

The Wii would sell LOTS more (more than the PS2, in a 9 year lifespan), if only the X360 and the PS3 wouldn't be so aggressive in keeping their market shares.

Obviously, this didn't happen at the time of the PS2, where the XBOX wasn't ever a real competitor, nor the GC, and the DC sadly left the scene early.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
raulpica said:
PS2 sold so much because it launched really early with in a market with no proper competitors.

The Wii would sell LOTS more (more than the PS2, in a 9 year lifespan), if only the X360 and the PS3 wouldn't be so aggressive in keeping their market shares.

Obviously, this didn't happen at the time of the PS2, where the XBOX wasn't ever a real competitor, nor the GC, and the DC sadly left the scene early.

This, and just some kick-ass games, like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Metal Gear Solid, ....
They still sell them by the way, for 100$ new, so they probably sell even now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    So what's the latest on ya?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @sombrerosonic, I've never seen you in a while. How's that game getting on?
  • sombrerosonic @ sombrerosonic:
    Unity is a asshole and I want to set it on fire
    +1
    and C++
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @sombrerosonic, "Unity to die. Coding is a fuck."
    Rez how else am I suppose to make my horny AI who wants people to love it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Real women are better, AI isn't worth the trouble.
    Mine would be easy. All it has to do is bob it's head :D:evil::blush:
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Psi can make an AI babe lol.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I knew I should've bought the 50ft ethernet cord over the 25 lesson learned size matters
    +2
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    vffvb gferwbgereg
    :O [☎️ Bunjolio's mother that he's swearing]
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    she*
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fuck
    +1
  • J @ Just_Ragnar:
    What are mlc.bin files and are they important or can i delete them off my wii u sd card
    My apologies there little Miss @Bunjolio :mellow::blush::)
    Butt I'm still telling her :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Never gonna give you upNever gonna let you downNever gonna run around and desert youNever gonna make you cryNever gonna say goodbyeNever gonna tell a lie and hurt you
    I don't recognise the song. Which one is it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sigma
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Sometimes people make mistakes, if you correct them then they'll remember.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Bunjolio, Sometimes people make mistakes, if you correct them then they'll remember.