Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i think that nintendo is slowly moving to a handheld only company
here are some reasons why
first, wii successor has not even been discussed and the wii is uber old
not even a hint. either ninty finally can keep secrets or there is no console.
second, 3d is best on a handheld and if ninty was moving in that direction, then they would only logically do it to a handheld system and give up on console
third, in japan, a large market is in handheld gaming as many there travel daily on subways etc and it is popular that way

also, ninty tends to use a grand new technology in their systems. i can not think of one that would enhance gameplay and just an improvement to graphics is a waste to them b/c think of the effort to attract a few more customers, not many and may even lose some to price
i think a console wont come for a while personally ... or until virtual reality becomes feasable for consumers

so what do you think? is the 3ds going to carry both of nintendos markets?

pocchama1996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well Nintendo said themselves that they're working on a Wii successor and since i'm pretty sure either 360 or ps3 are older than Wii I dont think that matters too much since neither of them have announced successors either. Anyways a Handheld only Ninty would be great to be honest. I'd love that.

pocchama1996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And I feel like handhelds are way better suited to 'gimmicks' i mean 3D/Touchscreens/Motion sensors
everything since theyre self reliant. They don't require you buy fancy 3000 dollar tvs and glasses or controllers to use. So Nintendo can make some amazing technology and share it with everybody at a very reasonable price point. and with their sole focus being one console and it being portable I dont have to spend as much money and I can have everything with me wherever i go. Of course having a video output to tv would be great too. and maybe even bluetooth for controller use.

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Nintendo is the benchmark of pioneering gaming technology. I think if they became handheld only, It would mean they've got enough technological plans to stay strong handheld-wise to last a lifetime.

RNorthex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
agreed, but i know they still have ideas for consoles that wouldn't work on just a small screen and everywhere
it would seem illogical to walk away from home-consoles

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
bigpaws said:
That's bull shit.
Give the 3DS a chance to breath man.

KinGamer7

Trophies
XP
Country
There'll probably be an official (albeit vague) mention of the Wii successor by Nintendo in 2014/2015 at the earliest. Just be patient and enjoy what Nintendo is offering right now (and in the very near future with the 3DS).

sprogurt

Trophies
XP
Country
bigpaws said:

The fact the information has not been disclosed/widely available means nothing, I haven't heard of anything after PS3 but Sony has a new PSP coming out. It doesn't mean they're getting rid of the home console market, it means that they can be in any stage like research, development, advertising or just holding information until a big event. Their next console is 3DS, if they release details of another console it would surely shadow part of the 3DS's hype.

bigpaws said:
second, 3d is best on a handheld and if ninty was moving in that direction, then they would only logically do it to a handheld system and give up on console

How? Home consoles are normally more powerful than portable devices, here's another example: No one will get rid of a gaming desktop to play the same type of games on an eeepc.

bigpaws said:
third, in japan, a large market is in handheld gaming as many there travel daily on subways etc and it is popular that way

Japan is an island, I would assume there's a larger market for USA, Europe, etc.

bigpaws said:
also, ninty tends to use a grand new technology in their systems. i can not think of one that would enhance gameplay and just an improvement to graphics is a waste to them b/c think of the effort to attract a few more customers, not many and may even lose some to price

More RAM, more powerful processors. They make them for the coders too mind. Without them there would hardly be any games and giving them more to play around with = more money for ninty.

QUOTE(bigpaws @ Feb 3 2011, 08:23 AM)
so what do you think? is the 3ds going to carry both of nintendos markets?

There's 2 different markets to suit 2 different market audiences. My personal opinion would be no.

QUOTE(KinGamer7 @ Feb 3 2011, 02:53 PM)
There'll probably be an official (albeit vague) mention of the Wii successor by Nintendo in 2014/2015 at the earliest. Just be patient and enjoy what Nintendo is offering right now (and in the very near future with the 3DS).

Earlier than that I'd say.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
bigpaws said:
Nintendo have the best secret keeping in the business.
Have had since before Jesus was maybe possibly probably who knows born.

bigpaws said:
i can not think of one that would enhance gameplay and just an improvement to graphics is a waste to them b/c think of the effort to attract a few more customers, not many and may even lose some to price
Just because you can't think of one, doesn't mean Nintendo isn't entertaining clever-clots with things like KINNECT(which they did 3 years before MS told us about natal), or the wii-mote.

QUOTE(TheDarkSeed @ Feb 3 2011, 08:38 AM)
give it atleast 2 years, the Nintendo DS came out in 2005.

Wii came second in 2007.
LATE 2006*
e3 codename reveal, and maybe some screens or minor details. But probably only to press. 2012 or early 2013 release date.
That is, unless the world ends in 2012.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bigpaws said:

I believe this is for the best since their selection of games for the handhelds are much better than their offerings for the Wii. I play my DS and DSi way more than I ever play on my Wii (I haven't played my Wii for 6 months), the reason is a better selection of games. Also, being in a handheld only market will enable them to successfully introduce new technology to their systems.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Hop2089 said:
bigpaws said:

I believe this is for the best since their selection of games for the handhelds are much better than their offerings for the Wii. I play my DS and DSi way more than I ever play on my Wii (I haven't played my Wii for 6 months), the reason is a better selection of games. Also, being in a handheld only market will enable them to successfully introduce new technology to their systems.
It's easier to play on a handheld than get a tv remote, change channel, switch on console, grab controller, sit down, and play.
That's why I play handhelds more.

the wii has good game imo, i just don't play them since it's right next to my pc.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree that nintendo is moving in that direction. the wii, while it does have the best first-party games of the three big consoles, it has little of anything else. it's almost as if nintendo doesn't care. plus, the wii was very antiquated when it was released. if this gen is supposed to be 10+ years, nintendo made a huge mistake by developing it with so little power. nintendo has turned its back on its core audience in favor of the casual market. microsoft is starting to do that as well...which is unsettling.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point, I really have no reason to buy a next gen Nintendo console if one came out. If all it were was a Nintendo-branded Xbox(not literally. But just a console for core games, nothing special about it), it wouldn't really sell. Nintendo needs to come up with the next "gimmick" or improve on the old ones. If Nintendo decided they wanted to make another core console like GameCube, N64, etc, it would be a flop. People come to Nintendo for their gimmicks, not for the core gameplay.

If Nintendo wanted to become a handheld-only company, I'd be fine with that since I only seem to be able to get 2 consoles per generation, but I don't see it happening.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @RedColoredStars, Lol