Nintendo Switch sales surpass 89 million, has outsold both the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3

nintendoswitch-blogroll-1610734332405_160w.jpg

Nintendo continues to dominate in terms of sales, as the Nintendo Switch has hit yet another sales milestone. The latest financial report shows that the Switch family of systems has officially shifted 89.04 million units since the console's launch in March 2017. Last time we checked in on the Q4 2020 fiscal report, the Switch had sold 79.87 million units, which means in a matter of a few months, the Switch was able to surpass the sales figures for the PlayStation Portable, the Game Boy Advance, the Xbox 360, and the PlayStation 3. Despite such success, Switch hardware and software sales are noticeably down from 2020, with the former having decreased 21.7%, and the latter going down by 10.2%.

With the launch of the Nintendo Switch OLED on the horizon, as well as major first-party and exclusive releases set to arrive before the year, Nintendo is keeping its outlook positive. The next milestone for the Switch would be overtaking the Nintendo Wii, which sits at a respectable 101.63 million units sold.

:arrow: Source

Augusto101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
My guess is that it will be the third most sold console of all time surpassing Gameboy and Gameboy color.

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States

Nintendo continues to dominate in terms of sales, as the Nintendo Switch has hit yet another sales milestone. The latest financial report shows that the Switch family of systems has officially shifted 89.04 million units since the console's launch in March 2017. Last time we checked in on the Q4 2020 fiscal report, the Switch had sold 79.87 million units, which means in a matter of a few months, the Switch was able to surpass the sales figures for the PlayStation Portable, the Game Boy Advance, the Xbox 360, and the PlayStation 3. Despite such success, Switch hardware and software sales are noticeably down from 2020, with the former having decreased 21.7%, and the latter going down by 10.2%.

With the launch of the Nintendo Switch OLED on the horizon, as well as major first-party and exclusive releases set to arrive before the year, Nintendo is keeping its outlook positive. The next milestone for the Switch would be overtaking the Nintendo Wii, which sits at a respectable 101.63 million units sold.

:arrow: Source

i bet money they profit more from joy con sales

Reactions: Dud

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
handhelds are consoles, they're just not home consoles.
I dont get why people still make that argument... a handheld console is just as much a console as a home console.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

thats good for them but unfortunate for us. the ritcher they get they less they care for quality hardvare, services or software and consumers. you cant have both.

so when you say how switch is the most sold console and present that as a good thing, remember that that means nothing good for the end user.
Weird argument, compare the switch vs the wii u. More sales clearly mean more support, not less support. Any normal company (including nintendo) gives much more support to a profitable platform. You can even look at sony and compare the vita to ps4.

Last edited by kevin corms,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What's wrong with the DSi?
It would probably be quicker to list what it is right.
It is a pointless update that amounted to nothing, failed as a stopgap/delaying the death of the DS (android and IOS was rising up, lot of good stuff in those early days as it was not going the return of coinops/microtransactions aplenty just yet) and I would hold that the lack of games either made for it, enhanced notably by it and lifetime it had says it all. Some might prefer it to the DS lite but would you bet against having many people argue for the DS lite as the superior method of playing DS games (even taking GBA link and GBA itself off the table)?

Payne

Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
Crazy to imagine that something handheld passed 3DS in sales, always seemed unbeatable in my mind.

btw do we know statistics on how many lite vs regular were sold?

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Population was 6 billion people in 2000 and now its around 7 billion. How much would have this affected sales?
Depends on where the population growth occurred relative to where their sales were made. If the population grew solely in areas where no sales where made, then there would be no impact.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow nintendo surpasses old console sales, not suprised with all its alteration models.

I laugh at the claim of excellent first party titles lined up.

The switch has had very little of anything new and excellent, or does this mean more ports.

NelGibs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow nintendo surpasses old console sales, not suprised with all its alteration models.

I laugh at the claim of excellent first party titles lined up.

The switch has had very little of anything new and excellent, or does this mean more ports.

Switch is likely on par with XBOX 360/ PS3 performance wise. Many ported games from that generation almost have the same performance (30fps and lower). I don't miss Switch a bit lol. 3DS is my portable system.

europat

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I’m a bit out of subject, but some days ago, there was a topic about a Switch Oled and other great prizes, is the results are still on the way, tx for any info ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo