Nintendo Switch online subscription delayed to 2018

jolsp3s9d67xceweom7a.png

Nintendo has delayed their online subscription, that was set to launch in Autumn 2017, to launch sometime in 2018, meaning users will get some more time experiencing online on the Switch for free! They also revealed the prices and the fact that people with a paid subscription will get access to older games with new online play support. The full details and prices can be seen below.
Online lobby and voice chat
Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device.

A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017.

Classic Game Selection*
Subscribers will get to download a compilation of classic titles with added online play, such as Super Mario Bros. 3, Balloon Fight and Dr. Mario.
Subscription prices:

1-Month Membership
$3.99 (USD)

3-Month Membership
$7.99 (USD)

12-Month Membership
$19.99 (USD)

:arrow:Source

More information regarding the classic games collection:
Nintendo confirmed that this monthly plan has indeed changed, telling Kotaku: “Nintendo Switch Online subscribers will have ongoing access to a library of classic games with added online play. Users can play as many of the games as they want, as often as they like, as long as they have an active subscription.”

:arrow:Source

Last edited by TheDarkGreninja,
S

Saiyan Lusitano

This. And same can be said for Sony's grotesque internet prices. Gotta pay for a router, internet connection, etc.
Just because a lot of people have it it doesn't mean everyone does. I don't have an internet data service on my phone, I just use my home's internet or if possible, the free one in public.

I like saving money one way or another.

LuxerWap

The Green Husky with a Broken Tail
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It really can't be that hard, though?
It'd be sending inputs from one system to another, and receiving ones from someone else, like most online games, while emulating easy to emulate games.
I don't see why that isn't also reasonably doable with SNES or perhaps N64.
The way you say it sounds easier said than done if you ask me. That's kinda like, for example, the Switch now gets NES emulation, then immediately saying, "Great but where's SNES, N64, GCN, etc. As those takes time to emulate. Sure, the Switch can handle them, but it doesn't take a snap of finger to do it. Look at the 3DS. Took awhile to get GBA emulation and it's still not perfect (I don't count VC injections as emulators though).

Pokemon wasn't the first to receive wireless. There were NES (and I believe GB?) games with Download Play, eg SMB3.
Nope. The only option that features Multiplayer for the NES VC was pressing, X (or Y?) to switch controls for a different characters. Wireless communication in VCs never happened until Pokémon RBY was announced.

Last edited by LuxerWap,

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The way you say it sounds easier said than done if you ask me. That's kinda like, for example, the Switch now gets NES emulation, then immediately saying, "Great but where's SNES, N64, GCN, etc. As those takes time to emulate. Sure, the Switch can handle them, but it doesn't take a snap of finger to do it. Look at the 3DS. Took awhile to get GBA emulation and it's still not perfect (I don't count VC injections as emulators though).
I suppose. But it wouldn't be too hard to port the emulators used in 3DS or Wii U's VC over.
That said, some of those were kinda bad, so I wouldn't mind the wait for good emulation.

Nope. The only option that features Multiplayer for the NES VC was pressing, X (or Y?) to switch controls for a different characters. Wireless communication in VCs never happened until Pokémon RBY was announced.
SMB3 does indeed offer Download Play.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh lets just hope they plan on cancelling that idea of the phone app for voice chat and other online stuff.
That's kind of what I was driving at with my previous rants.
The whole phone/app system they're going to be implementing is completely unnecessary for standard play over wifi (which is what most people use), and could be streamlined into the existing hardware without the need for any other external devices.
The paid service, which includes the mobile app and device tethering, should (imo) still be available, but purely for those in the minority that are going to require the 3g feature to get online.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

The paid online service only starts in 2018 so until then it's free of charge to play online. Better try to make the most of it till then. :)

Reactions: ATofix

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just because a lot of people have it it doesn't mean everyone does. I don't have an internet data service on my phone, I just use my home's internet or if possible, the free one in public.

I like saving money one way or another.
Right, I was just saying the argument, stated was rather silly, as you could say the same, the other way around.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Ooh, sounds like we might be able to keep the free VC games for as long as we're subscribed, rather than only be able to play 1 game every month like what was originally announced.
I am really happy it is not as expensive as I was expecting.

what is that?
The price was announced a while back (although the monthly and 3-month plans weren't known about until now, but those aren't worth it anyway)

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Ooh, sounds like we might be able to keep the free VC games for as long as we're subscribed, rather than only be able to play 1 game every month like what was originally announced.

The price was announced a while back (although the monthly and 3-month plans weren't known about until now, but those aren't worth it anyway)
The fact that VC games will have online play have made me very interested but I hope it won't be just NES titles, have also SNES and N64 ones too. :)

D

Deleted User

Wait, it sounds like your only allowed get Classic Games if you have a subscription.

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Or like, she won't hear that at school, outside, when browsing the internet or under any other circumstance. Overprotective parents spoil their kids too much.

The more protective you are, the less she'll trust you.
If you're ok with your kid being called a fucking retard, that's you.
What about GGPO?
what?

TheDarkGreninja

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, wow. Another overprotective parent.

1. I'm not a parent.
2. Nor am I overprotective, if my child is going to learn profanity I'd rather it not be from an enraged 20 year old and that they learn that it's not right to use them whenever but it's unavoidable that they will use them. But I'd like the piece of mind that at least I taught them why they're wrong.

And if we're going to insult each other, I'd suggest that you're the type of person that would let their child waste their life away in the name of "freedom"

S

Saiyan Lusitano

1. I'm not a parent.
2. Nor am I overprotective, if my child is going to learn profanity I'd rather it not be from an enraged 20 year old and that they learn that it's not right to use them whenever but it's unavoidable that they will use them. But I'd like the piece of mind that at least I taught them why they're wrong.

And if we're going to insult each other, I'd suggest that you're the type of person that would let their child waste their life away in the name of "freedom"
There are good and bad experiences, everywhere. It's not exclusive to voice-chat conversations so trying to protect your child will only make them avoid you from speaking about problems they'll actually have because they will think you're too oversensitive and will just keep it to themselves.

If you try to prove to your child you're trying to be a "good" "parent" this isn't the way about it.

TheDarkGreninja

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There are good and bad experiences, everywhere. It's not exclusive to voice-chat conversations so trying to protect your child will only make them avoid you from speaking about problems they'll actually have because they will think you're too oversensitive and will just keep it to themselves.

If you try to prove to your child you're trying to be a "good" "parent" this isn't the way about it.
I'm not saying they shouldn't learn them, what I am saying is that they should learn them the right way. By understanding what the mean completely rather than "When you hear this word you must be offended".
For example, do you want your child saying the N-word in public? Sure, they're going to learn it, but they need to understand that it is wrong to say it.
anyway, we've digressed enough, I think.

D

Deleted User

They have to make more splatoon and Mario mic splitters and sell empty game boxes to get the funds to have a 5kb/s voice chat through game

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1