Nintendo Switch Online adds Fighter’s History, Kirby’s Avalanche, and Daiva Story 6: Imperial of Nirsartia

Nintendo has added three new titles to its classic catalog for the Nintendo Switch Online service.

Two of the titles are for the SNES. First up is Kirby's Avalanche, a Puyo Puyo clone with Kirby dressing. The other SNES game is Fighter's History, a fighting game from 1993 most well-known as being the target of a copyright infringement lawsuit from Capcom, who claimed it was too similar to Street Fighter II. The court ruled against Capcom, however, believing that the copied elements were too general or integral to a fighting game to be covered by copyright.

The final title is Daiva Story 6: Imperial of Nirsartia, a Famicom game that has never been released outside of Japan before. Strangely, it doesn't appear to have been localized in any way, as the password input screen is still completely in Japanese. The English trailer helpfully provides you with a password that lets you skip any section that may be confusing to non-Japanese speakers and skip right to a side-scrolling mech battle. (The Japanese trailer provides a look at some of the different gameplay.)

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fighter's History is a clone of Street Fighter 2, and Kirby's Avalanche is a clone of Puyo Puyo. Pretty lame.

(although tbf Fighter's History is actually pretty fun)

ZoneBlaze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's the "cheap" tier, but the pricier one isn't much better either.

The problem also lies with the customers who happily accept it.
I don't get the animosity. I pay for Nintendo Online to play first party games online, not for the extra games. It's not a model I agree with, but it's the same thing with PS and XBox, except their service is more expensive. $40 vs $60 per year, you get what you pay for.

XRTerra

What if instead of ohio, it was kai cenat land
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yet another reason to just emulate the games you want yourself.

I despise new Nintendo. We already have Puyo Puyo on switch online. If nintendo was doing this when the switch launched and they were releasing banger game after banger game, you know damn well we woulda gotten donkey kong country on launch with several huge third
I

party games.

If I was a little kid experiencing nes and snes games for the first time, all I would see are some games I've never heard of, games I'm not interested in, and first/second party nintendo games that I want to play out of the what, 100 games on the service? The expansion pack is slowly starting to get justified with game dlcs, but not everyone likes animal crossing, or mario kart 8, or likes genesis games, or they just want to play mario 64.

I'm not paying 50 dollars for a game I can play for free with a better port that is 60 fps, has raytracing, etc.

The next nintendo console is going to flop sales wise because nintendo is just gonna be lazy again, then the console after that is going to be another hit. Repeat process until nintendo finally gets the point.

I'm getting to the point of just homebrewing my switch before getting a new one just to emulate the games I want to play.

Wanna know the craziest part?

We don't even have tetris yet. TETRIS.

I genuinely hope the servers get hacked and some hero just dumps the entire nes/snes library onto the switch online servers and keep them locked from Nintendo until they accept it and just put better games on it. It's absolutely 100% illegal, but the person who does it, man, woman, child, whatever, will be known as a hero in history.

Last edited by XRTerra,
Reactions: Bladexdsl and Xzi

daddu3

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
The next nintendo console is going to flop sales wise because nintendo is just gonna be lazy again, then the console after that is going to be another hit. Repeat process until nintendo finally gets the point

Switch is selling out console after console as we speak... I'm pretty confident the opposite's gonna happen instead, with Nintendo getting to influence the views of the casual towards not giving fuck like thos company does towards better presentation of legacy titles or game preservation.

At best we can at least enjoy our sanctuary of passion towards retro games still here and other sites.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The next nintendo console is going to flop sales wise because nintendo is just gonna be lazy again, then the console after that is going to be another hit. Repeat process until nintendo finally gets the point.
won't happen because the good little drones will happily throw their money at nintendos feet no matter what underpowered and full of gimmick consoles they make next (gauantee that's what it will be won't be able to match even the ps4 pro) and keep buying the same mario games and re-releases and ports of OLD games over and over again without realizing they are part of the problem nintendo is like they are today. :glare:

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I think the better question is what's left Nintendo can release at their leisure.
Even a game like Kirby's Avalanche had the formalities of being cleared with Sega (game engine) and HAL Laboratory (characters/soundtrack)

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
This is weird. From the gigantic library of the NES, and we get a Japanese game?
Why not offer a Switch game, instead?
I mean, if they are not resorting to the worthwhile games each older system has, at least get a medium tier one from the new system.
But I don't pay for NSO, as I can't find anything worthwhile in it, so for me, it's all the same.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you expect, look at the console itself, littered with yet again old games.

Even nintendo cant be arsed anymore porting its old shit, then later charge you for dlc content that you would expect in a new game.

Take mario kart as a perfect example.

BOTW another that ended up been crapped out then later add content as dlc, but had that much planned they decided to make it into a new game.

Then they go do the same with pokemon, another pathetic attempt at open world gaming, then the feedback off what should be classed as a demo than a new title, they then crap out another game with everything that the game should have had in the first place.

They get away with this because its fans are devoted die hard sheep. They're happy to throw money at nintendo for old shit.
I think you are missing the core point of the argument as to why this is seen as lazy from Nintnedo. Its not about old games, its about the fact they released a game that never saw release outside of Japan and did not bother at all implementing translations for it. That is what is lazy about this whole thing. They could not even be bothered to release the game with a translation patch.

I mean if this is going to be their excuse for things what's to stop them from doing it more so in the future? This is the reason why Piracy is just more sensible in the long run. At least then there might actually be a fan translation available for it.

XRTerra

What if instead of ohio, it was kai cenat land
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bring back Sega, NEC, 3DO and SNK. It's obvious the big 3 need some competition in the hardware space to spice things up a bit.
Lot's of people have tried and failed, so I wouldn't get my hopes up. Not even google could make a sizeable dent. If anyone were to try and maybe do okay, it would be apple. But they wouldn't really have any good exclusive games. It would just be "Oh hey I can play call of duty as well" or "this game is coming out on me too!"

Reactions: TraderPatTX

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i hate how nintendo releases these games... i mean kirby's puyo is fine. i have yet to try FH. but the third one... why do they do this...?

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lot's of people have tried and failed, so I wouldn't get my hopes up. Not even google could make a sizeable dent. If anyone were to try and maybe do okay, it would be apple. But they wouldn't really have any good exclusive games. It would just be "Oh hey I can play call of duty as well" or "this game is coming out on me too!"
This happens in every industry where companies merge, get bought up or just exit the industry entirely. The customer gets left with few options and the companies that are left become so huge that they can squash anybody who tries to make waves.

Google Stadia was doomed to fail because the tech isn't there yet. Me personally, I would never subscribe to a service like that because I like to own my games physically. I also buy my music physically because I have the same amount of trust in Netflix and Spotifiy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: