Hardware Nintendo says the WiiU Pad isn't comfortable for NES Mario Bros.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You know, you keep babbling about how VC's all about how its just injecting and inserting ROMs, yet you seem to miss the part where games that weren't made to run on the GamePad won't unless they're SPECIFICALLY MEANT TO. Hence why they said Mario Bros. doesn't work well on the GamePad. If they're talking about the Wii VC game, then obviously it won't work. It wasn't built to. If it is the Wii U VC game, well, this guy said it best.
Wow, I'll start again.

A WiiU binary can use either the TV or the controller for screen output - a Wii one is more limited. If you run the ROM on an emulator built for the WiiU, from the ground up, you have that option. If you don't, you don't. It's that simple. I'm telling you that they need to build the emulator from the ground up - the part to which you are referring to as "built to work on the Wii". Do you now understand?

Damn you insecure. No one called you a fanboy. YOU called ME a fanboy.
Because you're being one for supporting something that is downright lazy. Besides, I said "turn Fanboy Mode off", I didn't say "You're a fanboy." - I didn't mean it in a derrogatory way, I merely said that we should forget about brand royalty and focus on what can and can't be done on the hardware.

Reactions: Lucifer666

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They had the entire WiiU development cycle to work on this issue, but they haven't. They neglected it, opting to use Wii Mode instead. Not because they have standards but because they couldn't be bothered. A lot of what you said is true, but it does not change the fact that the conduct is lazy, and I hope that they are going to fix it in the future - because they can.
They have more important things to do with developing the console. Sure they could spend more money on making sure all of these hundreds game work in Wii U mode as they do in Wii mode, sure they could re-approve each 3rd party title but then it'll hike up the development costs. They have certain priorities to maintain first.

They have hundreds and hundreds of games in the VC library and it'll be best to do what you suggest one game at a time so that they can do the testing. Hopefully if they do this they won't ask for people to pay again but they probably will ask like they do with the 3DS and while I hate the idea of them charging again, they do have the right to. They only said that Wii software will work on the Wii U (which they really don't have to do), they promised nothing about those same games working on Wii U peripherals.

DonnyKD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, you keep babbling about how VC's all about how its just injecting and inserting ROMs, yet you seem to miss the part where games that weren't made to run on the GamePad won't unless they're SPECIFICALLY MEANT TO. Hence why they said Mario Bros. doesn't work well on the GamePad. If they're talking about the Wii VC game, then obviously it won't work. It wasn't built to. If it is the Wii U VC game, well, this guy said it best.
Wow, you're pretty slow, aren't you?

A WiiU binary can use either the TV or the controller for screen output - a Wii one is more limited. If you run the ROM on an emulator built for the WiiU, from the ground up, you have that option. If you don't, you don't. It's that simple. I'm telling you that they need to build the emulator from the ground up - the part to which you are referring to as "built to work on the Wii". Do you now understand?

Do you keep reading the parts where I say "Wii Virtual Console" and not "Wii U Virtual Console"? As in "Wii Virtual Console will not play on the GamePad because it will run on a certain hardware mode that makes the console act like the Wii, basically cutting off any Wii U GamePad support except maybe the buttons themselves?" They're not going to take 402+ VC games and run them on a different hardware, or a different emulator. Its not "lazy", its common sense to not go that far for little result.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
First of all this topic is bullshit. Relaxs. :P

Opener poster has it all mixed up. I read this yesterday, they are talking about why they updated the Wii U controller after E3 2011 cos it was uncomfortable to play SMB for longer hours.

Topic needs to be deleted or updated.
So, WiiU's Virtual Console will have dedicated WiiU binaries or will it work in Wii Mode? I'm willing to trust you on this one, so just answer this simple question - it seems to be the bone of contention.

Iwata - Back then, the surface was extremely uncluttered.

Ibuki - Yes. But after last year's E3, we heard it was difficult to use. We played the NES version of Mario Bros. game on the Wii U GamePad and realized we couldn't do it very well.

Iwata - I remember that with the design of the GamePad at the time, a good amount of people said it was tiring and difficult to play.

Ibuki -Yes. That's no good as a controller, and just when we thought we wanted to do something about it, we heard of a desire from within the company to change the specs regarding improvement of the controls and took it up.

I can't answer that, but Nintendo did have NES running on the Wii U controller regardless.

I

Reactions: 2 people

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Do you keep reading the parts where I say "Wii Virtual Console" and not "Wii U Virtual Console"? As in "Wii Virtual Console will not play on the GamePad because it will run on a certain hardware mode that makes the console act like the Wii, basically cutting off any Wii U GamePad support except maybe the buttons themselves?" They're not going to take 402+ VC games and run them on a different hardware, or a different console. Its not "lazy", its common sense to not go that far for little result.
In that case I'm going to say "no, because they have three processor cores to use. Provided they have one dedicated to the Wii Mode, one dedicated to the background processes of the system, there's one left AFAIK and it could be be used for additional features of the sandbox". This is not like Gamecube Mode of the Wii - the Wii had only one core it could dedicate - the WiiU has several.

That said, I misunderstood you. From what you posted so-far, I gathered that the Virtual Console altogether will be working in Wii Mode, not that the Wii Virtual Console will. If there will be a WiiU Virtual Console eventually, I see no issues, however they should repack those 402+ games because nothing stands in the way of doing so. Sorry if I upset you, I woke up with my left foot today. I apologize. ;)

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do we even know if the Wii U has Wii hardware inside? I'm pretty sure it does, hence why the resolution won't be upped. It would have been nice if they went the emulation route...but again what with the 360 having trouble running a lot of Xbox games they probably felt it was more efficient to go the hardware route.

DonnyKD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
From what you posted so-far, I gathered that the Virtual Console altogether will be working in Wii Mode

I kept saying "Wii Virtual Console" except at least once.

Foxi4 said:
If there will be a WiiU Virtual Console eventually, I see no issues, however they should repack those 402+ games because nothing stands in the way of doing so.

You mean besides money and time? Yeah, because I'm so excited to play Volleyball on the Wii U GamePad!

Yeah, no, either they're going to 1) add Wii U GamePad support to every Wii U VC game one by one, as in, Yoshi's Island on the first week, then let's say, DK64 on the next, and so on and so forth, or 2) they'll do a 3D Classics like thing with the Wii U VC, like, rerelease SMB3 for GamePad support. Maybe.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Do we even know if the Wii U has Wii hardware inside? I'm pretty sure it does, hence why the resolution won't be upped. It would have been nice if they went the emulation route...but again what with the 360 having trouble running a lot of Xbox games they probably felt it was more efficient to go the hardware route.
Would be an issue if there weren't several cores involved, but fortunatelly there are. Look at the 3DS in DS Mode - it *can* upscale and it *does* have background processes specifically because it's a multicore built with one core pretending to be the DS and the other dealing with system management and video output.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Would be an issue if there weren't several cores involved, but fortunatelly there are. Look at the 3DS in DS Mode - it *can* upscale and it *does* have background processes specifically because it's a multicore built with one core pretending to be the DS and the other dealing with system management and video output.
I think the 3DS's GPU is used for DS video output. ;) Second core is just running background processors like you said.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I think the 3DS's GPU is used for DS video output. ;) Second core is just running background processors like you said.
Sort of what I meant - excuse me, I literally just woke up and I'm not thinking straight, so my wording is crippled. :P

In any case, the Wii's CPU emulation can be contained within one core, the system-reserved resources are still available (meaning the resources that are used for Gamepad functionality, among others) since they are based on a different core entirely and requests can still be sent to the GPU - it's tricky, it's a boundry but it can be done, which was my point all along.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Is heartgold the only one who gets it? They're obviously talking about controller ergonomics FFS, jeeez man!! *facepalm*
That news article is so stupid it's unbelievable...

Fixed the title (now it's clearer).
I still don't think it fits the OP raulpica :/ because Nintendo hasn't commented on it at all, read the iwata asks. It's referring to the controller ergonomics and how it didn't work well playing a long session of NES Super Mario Bros at E3 last year.

Wii transferred VC won't probably play on the gamepad only but I'm guessing that there will be updated WiiU VC with its own set of emulators updating your previous Wii mode VC.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Is heartgold the only one who gets it? They're obviously talking about controller ergonomics FFS, jeeez man!! *facepalm*
That news article is so stupid it's unbelievable...

Fixed the title (now it's clearer).
I still don't think it fits the OP raulpica :/ because Nintendo hasn't commented on it at all, read the iwata asks. It's referring to the controller ergonomics and how it didn't work well playing a long session of NES Super Mario Bros at E3 last year.

Wii transferred VC won't probably play on the gamepad only but I'm guessing that there will be updated WiiU VC with its own set of emulators updating your previous Wii mode VC.
Here's for hoping.

Reactions: 1 person

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It really amazes me how Ibukis statement could have been so drastically misunderstood.

As Eerpow said the statement was made towards the ergonomics of the gamepad-prototyp. Since it was flat they found it to be tiresome to even play simpler games, thus the SMB example! By adding the two bulks on the backside they fixed that and that was the only point they wanted to make. Essentially there is no info or statement concerning VC...

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It really amazes me how Ibukis statement could have been so drastically misunderstood.

As Eerpow said the statement was made towards the ergonomics of the gamepad-prototyp. Since it was flat they found it to be tiresome to even play simpler games, thus the SMB example! By adding the two bulks on the backside they fixed that and that was the only point they wanted to make. Essentially there is no info or statement concerning VC...
I hope the title's better now :unsure:

Reactions: 1 person

Wanderlei777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not a "daunting task" - it's a matter of writing a handful of emulators for the new hardware and embedding ROM's in said emulators. This is the equivalent of saying "we won't add Virtual Console to the 3DS because Virtual Console was made for the Wii" - it's retarded and they're being lazy, plain and simple.

Correct

You mean, that isnt's how Nintendo works - they have a pre-existing Virtual Console that works, so why improve it? which is typical lazy mentality.
I'm sorry you don't understand what I'm saying.

I'll break it down so it's easier for you.

Nintendo has certain standards.
They release a title but before they do they need to test it thoroughly, sometimes things slip through but they still do so.

Sorry thats not true.

I have Streets of Rage I bought of the virtual console but it became on playable when I upgraded tv's, with 'invalid signal' error. Several other VC games suffer this same problem and many people have this problem. They have patched a couple of the games, that you can redownload and use a obscure button combo to enable a mode to make them playable, which most people would never know about it took me ages of searching to find.

BUT Streets of Rage is still not fixed, they have known about the issue for years, the fix is easy, yet they do nothing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Nope.