*PROPER* Nintendo 64 emulator for Wii U

zmatt25

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii U doesn't have any proper N64 emulators, even though it should be more than capable of emulating that specific system.
We currently got two N64 emulators on the Wii U:

1 - Nintendo's N64 Virtual Console: Runs games in 480p, has a TON of input lag, and applies a dark filter to every game you play (this last one can be removed with homebrew).

2 - Wii64/Not64: Runs games in 480p but somehow looks even worse, also has some input lag, can NOT use any Bluetooth controllers outside of the Gamepad, isn't optimized for Wii U (aka, it doesn't use the system's full power, even when overclocked).

Some games run in one emulator, but don't run in the other. Some vice versa. Some can't run in any of the two, making them unplayable on the Wii U. Some can run but badly, rendering some games unplayable.

In conclusion, it would be a huge quality of life changer to get a proper N64 emulator that runs on Wii U mode, runs N64 games in 720p/1080p and has little input lag.

Please don't take this as a demand. I know that porting an emulator to a console is a difficult task (specially for the N64 a.k.a. one of the hardest systems to emulate). I'm just throwing the idea in the ring so that hopefully a good samaritan will be able to realize it.

Thanks for reading :)

Last edited by zmatt25,

zerofalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
At this stage of Wii U's homebrew life cycle I guess N64 emulation is considered done (hoping someday someone proves me wrong).

Nintendo 64 emulation is one of those convoluted nightmares even for the company, NERD and M2 (not 100% sure who worked on the code) did their best to bring an average emulator for virtual console platforms (Wii and Wii U). The compatibility was always very low, same as official releases, with some ROM injects working to a certain degree.
Then there is the great Wii64 and NOT64 emulator, which kind of do the job to an extent, but all of this information is already known as someone made a compatibility list of what games do work best on different emulators (official and homebrew).

Heck, even the Nintendo Switch struggles on certain areas with official/commercial N64 emulation, right now is average but better than VC's Wii+Wii U, and they are trying to fix what they can.
Mupen64+ on retroarch is another good option but not perfectly executed due to how limited the specs of the Switch are.

So, my conclusion/advise is: If you want to play N64 games via emulation the best it can run, try with a good PC first, or Xbox Series X with dev mode+Retroarch. High end gaming phones are another option too.

Reactions: PJGamer07

zmatt25

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this stage of Wii U's homebrew life cycle I guess N64 emulation is considered done (hoping someday someone proves me wrong).

Nintendo 64 emulation is one of those convoluted nightmares even for the company, NERD and M2 (not 100% sure who worked on the code) did their best to bring an average emulator for virtual console platforms (Wii and Wii U). The compatibility was always very low, same as official releases, with some ROM injects working to a certain degree.
Then there is the great Wii64 and NOT64 emulator, which kind of do the job to an extent, but all of this information is already known as someone made a compatibility list of what games do work best on different emulators (official and homebrew).

Heck, even the Nintendo Switch struggles on certain areas with official/commercial N64 emulation, right now is average but better than VC's Wii+Wii U, and they are trying to fix what they can.
Mupen64+ on retroarch is another good option but not perfectly executed due to how limited the specs of the Switch are.

So, my conclusion/advise is: If you want to play N64 games via emulation the best it can run, try with a good PC first, or Xbox Series X with dev mode+Retroarch. High end gaming phones are another option too.
Pretty much true, yeah. I've heard about a Mupen port to Retroarch before, but apparently that would require someone porting compatibility for the Wii U's processor (don't take me as a source, idk about those things) to even be able to run PS1 and N64 in retroarch in Wii U mode.

And yes, I could just play N64 in a good PC or even my phone, but it's never the same as booting a game in an actual dedicated console.

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia

Apart from Killer Instinct Gold and Quake 2 (and Goldeneye but that works near perfectly in the Glide build) everything works great, if you're having issues it's settings related not the Switch

zerofalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
Apart from Killer Instinct Gold and Quake 2 (and Goldeneye but that works near perfectly in the Glide build) everything works great, if you're having issues it's settings related not the Switch
I can number even more good games that need safe HOS overclock on Nintendo Switch and even with that boost some of them still cant run that great, comes to my mind Perfect Dark, yeah even Perfect Dark is not perfect and stutters in some areas in solo missions. I even compiled the n64decomp PD to test performance mod, still the Switch cant handle the same laggy areas at max OC... and NO, dont ask me to play the game at 320x240 resolution on mupen64+ or turn off framebuffer emulation. Dont want to sound rude, If I want to play at those video resolutions then I have the console and a good amount of a game collection + ED64. If you can run/play Perfect Dark at max 480 (x2) or 720 (x3) without issues (graphical and emulated) please show how the console and your settings can do the job.

danny19901

Trophies
XP
Country
Wii64 Rice works pretty well every game i've tried run fullspeed Tony Hawks Pro skater 1, Goldeneye, Goldeneye mario characters mod, SM64, OOT, Majoras Mask, Banjo Tooie, Banjo Kazooie if theres soe games you want me test let me know

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More native emulators for the Wii U in general would be nice aside from Retroarch and PPSSPP. But at least vWii emulators do suffice, and those for N64 and PS1 can make use of overclock, so it's really not all that bad.

I would absolutely welcome more native Wii U emulators, but all the same in happy we can have the emulator set ups on the system that we can.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
can NOT use any Bluetooth controllers
This is the only reason I'm not using the vWii N64 emulators. This controller works fine with VC but not with emulators:
iu

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii U doesn't have any proper N64 emulators, even though it should be more than capable of emulating that specific system.

1 - Nintendo's N64 Virtual Console: Runs games in 480p, has a TON of input lag, and applies a dark filter to every game you play (this last one can be removed with homebrew).

2 - Wii64/Not64: Runs games in 480p but somehow looks even worse, also has some input lag, can NOT use any Bluetooth controllers outside of the Gamepad, isn't optimized for Wii U (aka, it doesn't use the system's full power, even when overclocked).

Some games run in one emulator, but don't run in the other. Some vice versa. Some can't run in any of the two, making them unplayable on the Wii U. Some can run but badly, rendering some games unplayable.

In conclusion, it would be a huge quality of life changer to get a proper N64 emulator that runs on Wii U mode, runs N64 games in 720p/1080p and has little input lag.

Please don't take this as a demand. I know that porting an emulator to a console is a difficult task (specially for the N64 a.k.a. one of the hardest systems to emulate). I'm just throwing the idea in the ring so that hopefully a good samaritan will be able to realize it.

It just comes down to a lack of interest in the homebrew community, N64 emulation is a pain to develop for at times.

zmatt25

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii64 Rice works pretty well every game i've tried run fullspeed Tony Hawks Pro skater 1, Goldeneye, Goldeneye mario characters mod, SM64, OOT, Majoras Mask, Banjo Tooie, Banjo Kazooie if theres soe games you want me test let me know
For me, GoldenEye runs in 60fps but constantly drops to 15fps and you can't put an FPS limit, so it's constantly framedropping and its just annoying and unplayable at times. Majora's has graphical glitches. The rest work fine I guess, but the point is that they don't look good. Because they run in vWii mode, they become blurry when they could look way better in Wii U mode.
Post automatically merged:

aside from Retroarch and PPSSPP.
Yeah, also Retroarch is kind of a mess, doesn't work with Aroma (yet) and constantly has issues. PPSSPP can only run like what.. two or three games? Hopefully, with the closure of the eShop the homebrew scene might gain more interest and maybe we might better emulators :D

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
I would happily contribute some money for a fully optimized port of PPSSPP on Wii U. The games really suit the console and it should be able to handle it at a 2x upscale at least nicely.

danny19901

Trophies
XP
Country
For me, GoldenEye runs in 60fps but constantly drops to 15fps and you can't put an FPS limit, so it's constantly framedropping and its just annoying and unplayable at times. Majora's has graphical glitches. The rest work fine I guess, but the point is that they don't look good. Because they run in vWii mode, they become blurry when they could look way better in Wii U mode.
Post automatically merged:

Yeah, also Retroarch is kind of a mess, doesn't work with Aroma (yet) and constantly has issues. PPSSPP can only run like what.. two or three games? Hopefully, with the closure of the eShop the homebrew scene might gain more interest and maybe we might better emulators :D
try these 2 https://mega.nz/folder/Vo9mnIJD#_oCwzqAqCTltMdWLL9u5rg

https://mega.nz/folder/I0U0jTRZ#4L3mrSeNyOhCCiq4pOLdtg
Install both and try each out with the games As im unsure which one it is but I get fully playable in Goldeneye no dips at all
Install with WUP Installer

Sowden

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PPSSPP can only run like what.. two or three games? Hopefully, with the closure of the eShop the homebrew scene might gain more interest and maybe we might better emulators :D
Nah PPSSPP runs a decent amount of games with good speeds on the Wii U. But there are also plenty of games that don't play well. In my experience it was about half and half for the games I was testing that ran well or ran poorly.

danny19901

Trophies
XP
Country
Nah PPSSPP runs a decent amount of games with good speeds on the Wii U. But there are also plenty of games that don't play well. In my experience it was about half and half for the games I was testing that ran well or ran poorly.
Yeah I'm gutted out run coast 2 coast has to many graphical issues

Sent from my 2201122G using Tapatalk

Zeox-gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

I agree the wiiu really needs an n64 emulator it would run more games with these new plugins that were released on the pc ported to it games that previously didn't even run well on the wii64 if it were for the wiiu it would be much better because of the retroarch and still be able to use the pro controller and gamepad to play as you prefer a dream the hero who one day does this

Reactions: zmatt25

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

there is no way in hell wiiu can run a n64 emulator in 1080p internal resolution... upscalled maybe... if nintendo itself cant make make those run at that for sure homebrew devs wont be able, heck ps1 emulation is only a thing now and even then it doesnt run at 720p/1080p and that is less demanding, you are on on a pc but on a wiiu with ppc architeture, 480p is as good as it gets.

2 that is just fale statement on wii64/not64 you can use wiimote+nunchuck/wiimote+classic controller/wiimote+classic controller pro/wiiu pro controller/wiiu gamepad(only wii64) not sure why you think only gamepad is the over wireless controller supported...

Last edited by pedro702,

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nintendo's N64 Virtual Console: Runs games in 480p
You're sure? Double-check what resolution your TV reports. Pretty sure it's 1080p (upscaled by the Wii Us internal, bad upscaler).
Runs games in 480p but somehow looks even worse
Same... Well, they might use a different upscaler but that sounds unlikely.
And you think a third emulator will better this situation instead of distracting it even more?
1687038680538.png

it doesn't use the system's full power, even when overclocked
What power are you talking about if not processing power?

In theory, it should work in vWii.
Without rumble. For this I have real N64 controllers with raphnet adapters but it's just not the same.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?