*PROPER* Nintendo 64 emulator for Wii U

zmatt25

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're sure? Double-check what resolution your TV reports. Pretty sure it's 1080p (upscaled by the Wii Us internal, bad upscaler).
The internal resolution is 480p - that is the resolution the N64 game runs at - and the final output is 1080p because the Wii U upscales its image, but doesn't upscale its rendering resolution - it stays low.
What power are you talking about if not processing power?
My bad. I meant that its not optimized for the Wii U, since it runs only in the vWii.
And you think a third emulator will better this situation instead of distracting it even more?
Probably. But at least it'll make the games that DO run on it a WAYYYYYYYYYY better experience.

also pc emulation, while good, is a bit of a mess. That's why I prefer consoles. You just turn it on, press one icon and you're playing.

Reactions: CrazySquid

CourierTX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, my conclusion/advise is: If you want to play N64 games via emulation the best it can run, try with a good PC first, or Xbox Series X with dev mode+Retroarch. High end gaming phones are another option too.
There's gaming phones?! Never heard of this.

MikeBeast12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right, Wii U needs an N64 emulator, and I mean RIGHT NOW! It might be the case for N64 fans everywhere... Why not RetroArch should make an N64 emulation core? Why not make a new N64 emulation based on Mudlord's better Rice Video plugin, or maybe a better N64 video core? I like to see it when it comes out.

Zeox-gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Right, Wii U needs an N64 emulator, and I mean RIGHT NOW! It might be the case for N64 fans everywhere... Why not RetroArch should make an N64 emulation core? Why not make a new N64 emulation based on Mudlord's better Rice Video plugin, or maybe a better N64 video core? I like to see it when it comes out.
You're right,could release a core for the current n64 because the emulation nowadays is much better and the retroarch cores themselves are much superior
The n64 injects on the WiiU don't play many games and the Wii64 and Wii64Rice don't work with the Pro controller, meaning you can only play with the Wii controllers. It still took years but the WiiU had a PS1 core, why not one from the N64?

Zeox-gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Best bet is to focus on Wii64, why? there's a whole lot more Wiis than Wii Us
It would be a good idea to make several modifications and test different video plugins on the Wii64 and fully support the Wii controls, however the Wii has a limit and the Wii is more capable. I think tinkering with the Wii as far as possible would be a good start.

liveswired

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The Wii U doesn't have any proper N64 emulators, even though it should be more than capable of emulating that specific system.
We currently got two N64 emulators on the Wii U:

1 - Nintendo's N64 Virtual Console: Runs games in 480p, has a TON of input lag, and applies a dark filter to every game you play (this last one can be removed with homebrew).

2 - Wii64/Not64: Runs games in 480p but somehow looks even worse, also has some input lag, can NOT use any Bluetooth controllers outside of the Gamepad, isn't optimized for Wii U (aka, it doesn't use the system's full power, even when overclocked).

Some games run in one emulator, but don't run in the other. Some vice versa. Some can't run in any of the two, making them unplayable on the Wii U. Some can run but badly, rendering some games unplayable.

In conclusion, it would be a huge quality of life changer to get a proper N64 emulator that runs on Wii U mode, runs N64 games in 720p/1080p and has little input lag.

Please don't take this as a demand. I know that porting an emulator to a console is a difficult task (specially for the N64 a.k.a. one of the hardest systems to emulate). I'm just throwing the idea in the ring so that hopefully a good samaritan will be able to realize it.

Thanks for reading :)

Wii/Not 64 have always automatically detected whatever bluetooth controller I've connected to my Wii U, perhaps you are doing something wrong? I've been playing Wii/Not 64 with Gamepad/Pro Controllers/GameCube controllers/Dualshock and Xbox controllers for years now and have never had an issue.

Wii U native emulators would be the perfect solution, however we will likely never see this kind of focus due to the system not being popular enough - Wii VC overclocked is the best we can get which unfortunately doesn't make use the Wii U's GPU or extra CPU Core's which would offer a significant upgrade over overclocked Wii mode. I guess in many instances overclocked Wii Emulators are deemed good enough by the majority.

Last edited by liveswired,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto