Nintendo Playstation Prototype from earlier this year confirmed working

A few months ago, a father and son discovered an odd console; the Nintendo Playstation, which harkens back to the failed collaboration between Sony and Nintendo. Now, this prototype system has been confirmed to indeed be real and functioning! The two owners took their console to the Retro HK Expo, and used it to play Street Fighter. The Nintendo Playstation boots up with a unique bios screen, but the CD drive is confirmed to not work.

:arrow: Source

[EDIT: Credit to Chary for editing and formatting my turd of a post, making it look at thousand times better. Thanks!]

Last edited by ric.,

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
so many time to turn on the console that had 2 kinds of Audio/video exit and power source? Cd driver not working? but playing "super famicom" commonly? well very convenient hm?

Last edited by Sliter,

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a very late close-to-release prototype, not a typical devkit (which were stored in shitty cubic cases). The reason it was fabricated like a complete console is that it was meant to be displayed and pitched. It's yellowed due to poor storage conditions and almost certainly real, judging by the accounts of people involved with the project. Plastic from that period often yellowed, as seen on countless keyboards or old 16-bit computers.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ony-playstation-snes-console-spotted-pictured

"UPDATE 4.45pm: A French modder has now claimed to have made the Sony PlayStation SNES model shown today himself, rather than it being a legitimate early version of the rare Sony-Nintendo hybrid."

I find this whole story pretty interesting. lol

D

Deleted User

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ony-playstation-snes-console-spotted-pictured

"UPDATE 4.45pm: A French modder has now claimed to have made the Sony PlayStation SNES model shown today himself, rather than it being a legitimate early version of the rare Sony-Nintendo hybrid."

I find this whole story pretty interesting. lol
Eurogamer said:
UPDATE 6.20pm: Good news - claims that today's find of a PlayStation SNES console were faked have now been cleared up and proven incorrect.
[Snip]
"Google Translate isn't perfect. But the media give [sic] me to smile... :)", Amka told Eurogamer.

I'm surprised so many people are trying so hard to discredit this piece of gaming history. This thing is proof that if things hadn't gone wayside, gaming today would be an entirely different place, possibly dominated my Nintendo and Sony with a Iron Fist, outright murdering Sega and shutting Microsoft out.

(No, I'm not a Nintendo or Sony Fanboy, I'm a Ex-Sega Fanboy. So bite me. ;P)

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm surprised so many people are trying so hard to discredit this piece of gaming history. This thing is proof that if things hadn't gone wayside, gaming today would be an entirely different place, possibly dominated my Nintendo and Sony with a Iron Fist, outright murdering Sega and shutting Microsoft out.

not about discredit but the way they are acting ... who do Xray of eletronics? (I saw it once but to show it as an piece of art xp), the console had simple energy imput and TWO way to video out (that is very strange by itself)
That japanese cart shown with the console first time? why never tried it on an actual snes? nor even take the rom and share them! And where is it now??
It no need of an professional do take it apart
It's playing normally superfamicom games but the CD driver wasn't working ... well there are an professional there, ask him to fix it or replace for test ?
A lot of things don't connect :B

ric.

Drivin' to meme country
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
not about discredit but the way they are acting ... who do Xray of eletronics? (I saw it once but to show it as an piece of art xp), the console had simple energy imput and TWO way to video out (that is very strange by itself)
That japanese cart shown with the console first time? why never tried it on an actual snes? nor even take the rom and share them! And where is it now??
It no need of an professional do take it apart
It's playing normally superfamicom games but the CD driver wasn't working ... well there are an professional there, ask him to fix it or replace for test ?
A lot of things don't connect :B
The test cart included with the console reportedly didn't work, but they're looking into it. If they ever manage to restore it to it's original, working condition I'm sure the ROM could be dumped.
I also recall reading somewhere that prototype carts, as they weren't intended to last as long as regular, commercial cartridges, contain a different kind of memory chip that is rewritable, but also degradates faster (EEPROMs I think?). It's possible, depending on the conditions this cartridge has been stored in, that the data inside these chips has already degradated (or perhaps it's contents were blanked out before they disposed of the unit, I don't know what Nintendo/Sony's policy on these things is), and that's why it doesn't work. If that's the case then there's not much that can be done to restore it - but if it's just a matter of dirty contacts or something like that then repairing the cartridge should be a fairly trivial task.
Keep in mind that this is a one of a kind system, you can't just give it away to any technician and hope they can fix it. Where would they even start? It's not like there's public schematics for this unit, you're not going to find a dissasembly guide for it on iFixit or anything. Besides, we have no way to know if the CD drive works or not - as we don't have a CD to test it with. If there's no compatible software for the unit then we'll never know if the CD drive is actually functional or if it's just there for show.
I suppose trying an audio CD would be a possibility (being the predecessor to the PlayStation it'd make sense for this thing to play music, the PSX was a damn good music player), but who knows if they actually got far enough to implement that feature.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand

Why do you assume that this would have even been successful?

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why do you assume that this would have even been successful?
So, I'm guessing you feel differently about this? In my opinion, this would have been a gamer's dream if this happened. It would completely take over the market share in the video game industry.

ric.

Drivin' to meme country
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
This was pre-Playstation. Sony were a nobody in the video game world at the time.
I'll give you that, but Sony surprisingly got pretty much everything right on the first try with the Playstation. What makes you think this wouldn't have been the case if this had actually been completed?

Reactions: HaloEffect17

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shit, how you can not trust a trusted website like Engadget? Do you think they would resort to something as low as trolling and/or faking just to get some views? Get real.
Well yes, considering they're one of the "gaming journalism" websites who wildly bashed gamers during that whole debacle with Joystiq. The title is also petty clickbait. Engadget is known for their bullshit. I guess you were one of the people who were OK with being called a loser by these folks. The second Engadget and Joystiq gave in to believing the drivel spewed by GamerGate the second I stopped trusting them as actual journalists.

Dan Diebold claims to have discovered the console in a box of items received from a friend of his father, who used to work at Nintendo..
People are seriously believing this? The old MY DAD WORKS FOR NINTENDO garbage?

Last edited by Pluupy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Why not with coffee