Nintendo Play Station prototype console sells at auction for over $300,000

lf.jpg

A piece of gaming history just sold, for quite the pretty penny. The infamous Nintendo Play Station prototype system, created during the time that Sony and Nintendo were trying to partner up for a home console, managed to find a buyer at auction. Starting out at just $31,000, 57 bidders managed to hike the final selling price up to a massive $300,000, plus an extra $60,000 on top for a "buyer's premium" charge. The seller of the console was a man named Terry Diebold, whose son came across the system in a random box in his attic one day in 2015, and would later go on to show off the console at expos and trade shows for fun. Originally, the prototype belonged to Olaf Olafsson, who was the president of Sony Interactive Entertainment in the mid-1990s and managed to save a single Nintendo Play Station before all of the others were all disposed of.

:arrow: Source

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I think the "OH PLEASE" goes to you because you ASSume that the offer would have been paid!!?? Yeah I don't go by assumptions or alternative facts, I stick to the actual truth...thanks!

That whole explanation you gave about eye of the beholder is called demand...which is exactly what I said. :rofl::rofl2:

And there is NO way somebody would have paid $1.2mil for something worth $300k. Go learn how supply, demand and math work instead of imagining that you think you know how they do. And again unless the owner of this ACTUALLY got the $1.2mil in his hands, then it is NOT worth that. Even if he had agreed , what was the assurance the buyer would have paid??

Thats like an NFL team finishing the season 4 and 12 ...but the guys on the team say "nah we know we're better than that!" ...ummmm NO you're NOT. You suck, you're 4-12 and saying your better is a complete lie.

This is worth $300k period, because that's what it sold for. No it is NOT worth more simply because you say so. And if you're argument is that it is worth more based on a something that didn't actually happen, then you seriously need to go back to school...asap.
You have a very surface level understanding of the terms you're using and don't quite grasp what supply and demand *is*, so I'm not going to engage you on that level. As a hint I can tell you that in this particular case the supply is static and equal to *1* - all other units are likely either destroyed or in Sony/Nintendo vaults and will never see the light of day. I never said that it's worth "more", you have trouble with reading comprehension. What I said was that the value of a unique item is always in the eye of the beholder - it's worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. That's the "demand", in case you haven't caught up yet. Your only salient point is that, at present, it's "worth" $300k because that's how much it was purchased for - you're completely mistaken on why that's the case. The original owner rebuffed an offer not because it wasn't genuine, but because he was hoping it would sell for a much higher price at auction. At that point the market dictated the price, that's all there is to it. I suspect this is not the last time the item changes hands, but as it stands it is still the single most expensive piece of gaming memorabilia to ever be sold, at auction or otherwise.

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Series of videos where some dudes put expensive electronics into a blender...to see if they blend.

Would be a horrifying end for the system lmao

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! A piece of history... GONE! (starts sobbing uncontrollably) Why did that moron waste $300k for a system he only wanted to destroy? WHYYY?!? (has heart attack and dies instantly... oh no, wait. I'm still typing. How can this be possible?)

Honestly, I think it would be great to discover that one other prototype that was thought destroyed actually exists. I'd buy it.

Also, I concur, @Foxi4. The price paid is not the actual value.

Last edited by HarveyHouston,

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Also, I concur, @Foxi4. The price paid is not the actual value.
Yes, it is. The 57 bids proved it. The ones interested took the price there. I'd be interested, but only for a max of 100 dollars.

It is basically useless. The device serves no purpose, and never will.

Sure, it is a piece of gaming history, but despite its rarity, very few could ever give a legitimate reason to own it. Like "for the hell of it".

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it is. The 57 bids proved it. The ones interested took the price there. I'd be interested, but only for a max of 100 dollars.

It is basically useless. The device serves no purpose, and never will.

Sure, it is a piece of gaming history, but despite its rarity, very few could ever give a legitimate reason to own it. Like "for the hell of it".
So therefore, we should discard a piece of history because it has no use in the modern world. Perhaps then, we should not have museums and collectors! Forgive me, but I fail to understand your reasoning about the Nintendo Playstation.

You want a legitimate reason? Maybe the person who bought it would actually try to use it, or perhaps they want to give it to someone who worked on it, or a friend of the person. Maybe they have a museum of their own, to display it so that they could tell its story. Maybe they just like Sony and/or Nintendo a whole lot, and want to show it off just so they could gain some good ol' notoriety about themselves (which is not as likely, considering the amount of money put into it). Who knows? If it was merely "for the hell of it", as you so bluntly put it, then why don't we just collect random people's used tissues and chewed plastic straws?! :P

I may have put that a bit harshly, but I'm trying to drive my point home. You don't collect just to collect, unless you're just completely nuts. Even obsessive people have a reason for collecting, even if they can't use whatever it is they collect themselves.

With this, I'll let the rest of the conversation take its course. I don't want to be involved in another argument.

Last edited by HarveyHouston,

MasterZoilus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have a very surface level understanding of the terms you're using and don't quite grasp what supply and demand *is*, so I'm not going to engage you on that level.

ahahahahaha omg ... you're not going to engage me... no go ahead please do, I have a bachelor's in Business Administration... I took Financial Analytics, Macro/Micro Economics, Marketing, Sales, Fiscal Planning/Forecasting...etc not to mention all the sub category juicy good stuff like Amortization, depreciation, P&L, General Ledgers and on and on, so please... enlighten me you. Because honestly YOU are not on my level, I know your kind, you think because you're 4 or 5 points higher in I.Q. than the national "96" which is ridiculously low to begin with, that you're on "our" level... so go ahead explain to me how what I said isn't true.

And let me go ahead again and tear your shit apart...

As a hint I can tell you that in this particular case the supply is static and equal to *1* - all other units are likely either destroyed or in Sony/Nintendo vaults and will never see the light of day. I never said that it's worth "more", you have trouble with reading comprehension.

Well no shit sherlock! When I mentioned all those things about S&D the "supply" part is in this case isn't a fucking sack of potatoes. Its whatever it is that you are discussing , in this case this item... nuh fucking duh#1. I mean seriously I literally explained S&D and did you think nobody in this forum knew what the S is for in this case except you?? Holy fuck nuts! Just the fact that you thought that you had to explain that the S part is what this thread is about just shows how inferior you are right there, just plain stupid.

As far as comprehension.... so you never said that it was worth more? really? because this is from your first post:

"I actually expected it to sell for much, much more than that considering it's the only unit known to exist, and it's fully functional after refurbishing efforts of many individuals. Quite honestly it belongs in a museum."

and then this in your other post:

"Oh please, last year the unit's owner turned down an offer of $1.2 million. It is a single, one of a kind unit - it's effectively priceless"

Yeah you're right you never said it was worth more....you said much much more and PRICELESS!! :lol::rofl::rofl2::rofl: :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:
If you expected it to sell for more and you said it was priceless then that means: YES, YOU BELIEVED IT WAS WORTH MORE ...A LOT MORE. Holy shit man, whose the one with the comprehension problem? Cause it actually is definitely you.
and a piece of video game equipment priceless, yeah right up there with the hope diamond and Salvator Mundi. OMG :rofl2: Oh and as far as math goes... $300k doesn't equal priceless, it has a price and a low one compared to a millions of things on this planet worth far far more.

What I said was that the value of a unique item is always in the eye of the beholder - it's worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. That's the "demand", in case you haven't caught up yet.

Really.... haven't caught up?...so I guess you totally missed this in my first post:
"There has to be a huge demand from those with wealth to drive up the cost of something at auction"

So how is what you said any different? Of course when somebody pays for something...(anything) it by default comes with the "willingness" level built in otherwise they wouldn't buy it! I mean no fucking duh#2.
And Llt me get this straight, you think you're the only one on the planet that knows how demand works?? Such a simple concept?
Did you go to John Paul's Academy of Business, tires and tacos?? cause you very "basic" brah!

Your only salient point is that, at present, it's "worth" $300k because that's how much it was purchased for - you're completely mistaken on why that's the case. The original owner rebuffed an offer not because it wasn't genuine, but because he was hoping it would sell for a much higher price at auction. At that point the market dictated the price, that's all there is to it. I suspect this is not the last time the item changes hands, but as it stands it is still the single most expensive piece of gaming memorabilia to ever be sold, at auction or otherwise.

No I'm not completely mistaken on why its worth $300k ... let's see, because it sold for $300k ... the story is irrelevant! You know why? Because "coulda woulda shudda" doesn't go to the bank! CASH goes to the bank. who give a flying fuck about what could have ended up in your account, because you can't pay bills on "hypotheticals"

... its worth $300k because that is what it sold for period. The monetary value of "it could have" is exactly $0 dollars. You may want to go back to a school that isn't attached to a tire shop or taco shack and learn something of how business actually works. And get a refund from the place you went to because not only can you clearly not comprehend (and lie) but your knowledge of business seems to be very 7th grader-ish ... and I think I'm still being generous there.

Last edited by MasterZoilus,

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep. Just wanted to post the same.
He was offered a little over $1.2 million..... :blink: He turned it down and said that he expects for it $ 3 million minimum... Well... a bummer for him, but what can you do... sometimes greediness can get over you pretty fast. :P
you act as if the amount it sold for isn't a lot of money.

Ratskull

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ahahahahaha omg ... you're not going to engage me... no go ahead please do, I have a bachelor's in Business Administration... I took Financial Analytics, Macro/Micro Economics, Marketing, Sales, Fiscal Planning/Forecasting...etc not to mention all the sub category juicy good stuff like Amortization, depreciation, P&L, General Ledgers and on and on, so please... enlighten me you. Because honestly YOU are not on my level, I know your kind, you think because you're 4 or 5 points higher in I.Q. than the national "96" which is ridiculously low to begin with, that you're on "our" level... so go ahead explain to me how what I said isn't true.

And let me go ahead again and tear your shit apart...

Well no shit sherlock! When I mentioned all those things about S&D the "supply" part is in this case isn't a fucking sack of potatoes. Its whatever it is that you are discussing , in this case this item... nuh fucking duh#1. I mean seriously I literally explained S&D and did you think nobody in this forum knew what the S is for in this case except you?? Holy fuck nuts! Just the fact that you thought that you had to explain that the S part is what this thread is about just shows how inferior you are right there, just plain stupid.

As far as comprehension.... so you never said that it was worth more? really? because this is from your first post:

"I actually expected it to sell for much, much more than that considering it's the only unit known to exist, and it's fully functional after refurbishing efforts of many individuals. Quite honestly it belongs in a museum."

and then this in your other post:

"Oh please, last year the unit's owner turned down an offer of $1.2 million. It is a single, one of a kind unit - it's effectively priceless"

Yeah you're right you never said it was worth more....you said much much more and PRICELESS!! :lol::rofl::rofl2::rofl: :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:
If you expected it to sell for more and you said it was priceless then that means: YES, YOU BELIEVED IT WAS WORTH MORE ...A LOT MORE. Holy shit man, whose the one with the comprehension problem? Cause it actually is definitely you.
and a piece of video game equipment priceless, yeah right up there with the hope diamond and Salvator Mundi. OMG :rofl2: Oh and as far as math goes... $300k doesn't equal priceless, it has a price and a low one compared to a millions of things on this planet worth far far more.

Really.... haven't caught up?...so I guess you totally missed this in my first post:
"There has to be a huge demand from those with wealth to drive up the cost of something at auction"

So how is what you said any different? Of course when somebody pays for something...(anything) it by default comes with the "willingness" level built in otherwise they wouldn't buy it! I mean no fucking duh#2.
And Llt me get this straight, you think you're the only one on the planet that knows how demand works?? Such a simple concept?
Did you go to John Paul's Academy of Business, tires and tacos?? cause you very "basic" brah!

No I'm not completely mistaken on why its worth $300k ... let's see, because it sold for $300k ... the story is irrelevant! You know why? Because "coulda woulda shudda" doesn't go to the bank! CASH goes to the bank. who give a flying fuck about what could have ended up in your account, because you can't pay bills on "hypotheticals"

... its worth $300k because that is what it sold for period. The monetary value of "it could have" is exactly $0 dollars. You may want to go back to a school that isn't attached to a tire shop or taco shack and learn something of how business actually works. And get a refund from the place you went to because not only can you clearly not comprehend (and lie) but your knowledge of business seems to be very 7th grader-ish ... and I think I'm still being generous there.
Well from somebody reading from afar you are one big headed up your own arse dillusional person. And the funniest thing of all is after all your education you still can't grasp what the other dude has said. And the icing on the cake is you are wrong and you're quite aggressive to go with it from my point of view you're just another angry immature person do yourself a favour mate and look in the mirror from time to time.

Reactions: Kazuto_Zed

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There is quite a lot of salt in this thread about an old Playstation... seriously though, I wonder if they will actually pay for it.
Supersega going by yr name you may hav some history with nintendo but its the old nintendo playstation :D

Reactions: supersega

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep. Just wanted to post the same.
He was offered a little over $1.2 million..... :blink: He turned it down and said that he expects for it $ 3 million minimum... Well... a bummer for him, but what can you do... sometimes greediness can get over you pretty fast. :P

I remember reading that the group who got their hands on the 40% build of Resident Evil 1.5 actually paid something in the thousands if I remember right. Not even at least $10,000! And the 65%/80% build is still out there somewhere if what Team IGAS has had to say about where they got inspiration for rooms they had no reference for is anything to go off of!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

fools and their money...i could have bought a house for 360k way more useful! :lol:

Reactions: Reynardine

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
That's... not exactly the point. The reason why someone would buy, say, a vintage car, and maintain it in perfect usable condition isn't to drive it to work every day. Even if there *was* usable CD-based software available for this thing, you would be a fool to use it for its intended purpose and not for demonstration purposes only - there's only one of those units in existence and that laser has only so much life in it before it stops reading altogether. Of course chances are you could find a *similar* lens from that time period and still refurbish it if needs be, but that's besides the point. The reason why people preserve pieces like this is because they're living bits of history, and this one in particular is an actual artifact. The fact that people managed to fix it up with basically no documentation available at all is remarkable in and out of itself.
i do have a classic car and i use it on the weekends, that is the point using it ocasionaly, it would make zero sence to have a classic car that doesnt run and would stay closed in the garage forever.

So yeah for a museum display about videogames? sure it makes sence, but for a private item i see little reason to own it tbh.

Reactions: Ryccardo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...