Nintendo Play Station prototype console sells at auction for over $300,000

lf.jpg

A piece of gaming history just sold, for quite the pretty penny. The infamous Nintendo Play Station prototype system, created during the time that Sony and Nintendo were trying to partner up for a home console, managed to find a buyer at auction. Starting out at just $31,000, 57 bidders managed to hike the final selling price up to a massive $300,000, plus an extra $60,000 on top for a "buyer's premium" charge. The seller of the console was a man named Terry Diebold, whose son came across the system in a random box in his attic one day in 2015, and would later go on to show off the console at expos and trade shows for fun. Originally, the prototype belonged to Olaf Olafsson, who was the president of Sony Interactive Entertainment in the mid-1990s and managed to save a single Nintendo Play Station before all of the others were all disposed of.

:arrow: Source

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
who bought it

I always wanna know the profile of people who can afford to throw that kinda money at these relics, and if it brings them the joy they paid for it. or if it was a regret impulse purchase lol

its good in the end Nintendo and Sony went their separate ways. Always good for the consumer.

Last edited by playstays_shun,

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
they should open a PS5 play centre - they wil be able to buy around 600 on launch day

beermonkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I picture in my head a drunk millionaire, kabab in one hand, sat in his boxers and half squinting with one eye to focus on his monitor while he puts his highest bid in. Putting a winning bid in only to think wtf the following morning...
Now take millionaire out if that quote and it's how I got an autograph of the actor who played Billy in gremlins on eBay. To this day I have no idea why I bought it. Well apart from the raging session I had on absinth.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The real question is: Will the device be documented in any way? It would be interesting to see if actual SNES emulators manage to implement obscure fatures from this, I know that now we can play SNES games with enhanced music, but I'm pretty sure that something is still buried on that prototype.

Attila13

Praise the Creep!
Trophies
Website
gamesystemrequirements.com
XP
Country
Romania
Funny thing is that he got offered a lot more than that and he rejected it because he tought he was gonna get more like this.
Yep. Just wanted to post the same.
He was offered a little over $1.2 million..... :blink: He turned it down and said that he expects for it $ 3 million minimum... Well... a bummer for him, but what can you do... sometimes greediness can get over you pretty fast. :P

Last edited by Attila13,

MrMario2011

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The real question is: Will the device be documented in any way? It would be interesting to see if actual SNES emulators manage to implement obscure fatures from this, I know that now we can play SNES games with enhanced music, but I'm pretty sure that something is still buried on that prototype.

Pretty much anything important has been documented, from a preservation standpoint this console has really been archived and documented extremely well.

D

Deleted User

$300k? That seems rather low for what it is.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Btw, surprised the Chinese haven't made clones of it. Even if it would be just a Famiclone.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I didn't know, thanks for the info, I'm going to have a good reading if I ever find one.
If you want to see how a SNES-CD would've worked had it been released, the BIOS was uploaded some time ago and no$sns supports SNES-CD software. There's obviously no commercial software available, but there's some homebrew you can try out.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
$300k? That seems rather low for what it is.
A platform with less notable games than the WiiU, CD-i, 64DD, and Vita? :P

While this actual product does certainly have an interesting history... it's not a game of Action 52 which anyone can "play" to experience an overly ambitious failure, it's not a Digiblast which you (generic person) may have played years ago, it's not really anything likely to get any use...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...