Nintendo Playstation Prototype from earlier this year confirmed working

A few months ago, a father and son discovered an odd console; the Nintendo Playstation, which harkens back to the failed collaboration between Sony and Nintendo. Now, this prototype system has been confirmed to indeed be real and functioning! The two owners took their console to the Retro HK Expo, and used it to play Street Fighter. The Nintendo Playstation boots up with a unique bios screen, but the CD drive is confirmed to not work.

:arrow: Source

[EDIT: Credit to Chary for editing and formatting my turd of a post, making it look at thousand times better. Thanks!]

Last edited by ric.,
D

Deleted User

Strange, I was just thinking about the Nintendo Playstation prototype last night and how we've heard nothing about it in a while.
Anyways, even though the CD-ROM drive isn't working, do you think there might just be a way we can get it working?

Reactions: NintendU_the_great

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah no I call shenanigans. Unless an actual Nintendo or Sony employee can confirm this is legitimate, it's fake.

Also, why would this development console be in the China? Sony and Nintendo are Japanese companies. The owners give absolutely no information about the nature of the "auction" they "received" it from.

Why is the text on the console and menu completely in English? What makes them think this console is legitimately developed by Sony and Nintendo? How would the developers be able to read something they made if it's completely in English?

It could just be a well-made custom console or an elaborate prank. That's like thinking the Atari Throwback console is legitimate. People have access to at-home laser etching and 3D-printers at home. Anyone could have made this. I find it adorable they think just because it can play SNES games and has Sony and Nintendo's names on it that it's real.

If they could date how old the plastic on the console is, the device is could be confirmed old enough to be in the time-span in which Sony and Nintendo were communicating and reinforce this thing's legitimacy. It appears the plastic might be undergoing oxidation. That, or someone painted the plastic that color to fool people.

Last edited by Pluupy,
D

Deleted User

Yeah no I call bullshit. Unless an actual Nintendo or Sony employee can confirm this is legitimate, it's fake. Also, why would this development console in the states? Sony and Nintendo are Japanese companies. Why is the text on the console and menu completely in English? What makes them think this console is legitimately developed by Sony and Nintendo? It could just be a well-made custom console or an elaborate prank. That's like thinking the Atari Throwback console is legitimate. People have access to at-home laser etching and 3D-printers. Anyone could have made this. I find it adorable they think just because it can play SNES games that it's real.
So you think a father and son would 3D print a case, age it so it goes yellow by recyling old plastic into filament with the anti-heat shit, then add a SNES board in with a custom screen which'd need reprogramming of the board?
Also, the gamecube is Japanese, yet the english version speaks english.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you think a father and son would 3D print a case, age it so it goes yellow by recyling old plastic into filament with the anti-heat shit, then add a SNES board in with a custom screen which'd need reprogramming of the board?
Also, the gamecube is Japanese, yet the english version speaks english.
It didn't need to be the father and son who did this, but yes.
  • There are many people who make their own custom monster consoles which play multiple console games and have multiple purposes.
  • There is no confirmation the "oxidated plastic" is actually real, old plastic that has oxidized.
  • Why would this extremely rare console, that neither Sony or Nintendo wanted to be known, be sold at an auction in China? That's pretty convenient.
  • Sony and Nintendo consoles were made in Japan until the Wii era. Again, why would this be in China?
  • Real SNES parts have both Sony and Nintendo's name on them. Why is it shocking for them to see the chips on this console have that?
    SNES-CPU-RGB01_01.jpg
Most importantly, until a Nintendo and/or Sony employee who participated in the project can actually confirm this device is real, it is under scrutiny.

Reactions: Sliter

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Also, why would this development console be in the China? Sony and Nintendo are Japanese companies. The owners give absolutely no information about the nature of the "auction" they "received" it from.
The backstory is widely known. It belonged to an ex-Sony president. Also, it was found in America and brought to a gaming festival in China. NOT found there *sighs*

Why is the text on the console and menu completely in English? What makes them think this console is legitimately developed by Sony and Nintendo? How would the developers be able to read something they made if it's completely in English?
A shitload of Japanese consoles have their internal/debugging menus in English. They were usually thought for worldwide release, y'know.

It could just be a well-made custom console or an elaborate prank. That's like thinking the Atari Throwback console is legitimate. People have access to at-home laser etching and 3D-printers at home. Anyone could have made this. I find it adorable they think just because it can play SNES games and has Sony and Nintendo's names on it that it's real.

If they could date how old the plastic on the console is, the device is could be confirmed old enough to be in the time-span in which Sony and Nintendo were communicating and reinforce this thing's legitimacy. It appears the plastic might be undergoing oxidation. That, or someone painted the plastic that color to fool people.
Shit, how you can not trust a trusted website like Engadget? Do you think they would resort to something as low as trolling and/or faking just to get some views? Get real.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There actually might be a couple of games compatible with this hardware - I remember reading that Imagine, a then-subsidiary of Sony, was working on 5 launch titles IIRC, at least one of which had a Beta disc. Who knows, maybe those too will surface one day.

As to why the text is in English, the reason is two-fold - the console was intended for an international release (this prototype is actually from the States IIRC) and because Kanji characters take up more space, they're a special font in addition to standard characters (although on such an old system fonts might've been tiled, which would nullify the problem above).

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually the yellow plastic thing... kinda is a hint this might be fake.

Prototype would be made with generic plastic of the day, the SNES was made with some weird stuff. Literally it's the only thing I have from that time period that does that and the later releases did NOT do this... the SNES 2nd gen does not yellow a machine that would use the same plastic as the near end of life SNES/Sony hybrid. Plus being made by Sony they wouldn't be using Nintendo plastic to begin with.... (Again the SNES being the only machine I have that yellowed like that.)

http://www.engadget.com/products/nintendo/snes/2nd-gen/

There might have been other things made out of plastic with bromine added but I don't have any... Would be an interesting thread on it's own. "What devices do you own that have turned colors with age?" lol

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This is a very late close-to-release prototype, not a typical devkit (which were stored in shitty cubic cases). The reason it was fabricated like a complete console is that it was meant to be displayed and pitched. It's yellowed due to poor storage conditions and almost certainly real, judging by the accounts of people involved with the project. Plastic from that period often yellowed, as seen on countless keyboards or old 16-bit computers.

Reactions: Celice and matpower

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.