Nintendo Play Station prototype console sells at auction for over $300,000

lf.jpg

A piece of gaming history just sold, for quite the pretty penny. The infamous Nintendo Play Station prototype system, created during the time that Sony and Nintendo were trying to partner up for a home console, managed to find a buyer at auction. Starting out at just $31,000, 57 bidders managed to hike the final selling price up to a massive $300,000, plus an extra $60,000 on top for a "buyer's premium" charge. The seller of the console was a man named Terry Diebold, whose son came across the system in a random box in his attic one day in 2015, and would later go on to show off the console at expos and trade shows for fun. Originally, the prototype belonged to Olaf Olafsson, who was the president of Sony Interactive Entertainment in the mid-1990s and managed to save a single Nintendo Play Station before all of the others were all disposed of.

:arrow: Source

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well enlighten me then. Tell me what I didn't get about the whole S&D thing.

I think you're ignoring whether everyone who could have paid more was even aware of what it was & whether everyone bidding on it had put in their maximum bid or was trying to snipe etc.

Statistically it's likely that nearly everyone thought it would sell for more or less than it did, so I don't see why anyone should be upset when they say they are surprised.

Last edited by smf,

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"it'S a PiECe oF lOST gAmiNg HIsToRY!!!!!!111 It DeSERves TO Be ThE SaYEm PriCE aS a HouSE!!!!!1111"
GBAtempers trying to justify their shit purchasing decisions
yeah the beta of a console with 0 games totally deserves to be 300k... Gaming history or not, you'd be better off spending that 300k on an actual console.

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Put it this way I'd rather giv someone 230k to spend on this than buy someone else a pack of cancer killing fags

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
what kind of fucking analogy or comparison is that???
Bloody hel what don't you understand lol meaning I couldn't giv cows arse what someone would pay for it even if was 1 billion as what harm is it doing to anyone else absolutely nothing

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Things have been pretty good in the Sony camp this generation, Nintendo on the other hand continues to be one of the most litigious and anti-consumer companies in the industry - this generation more so than ever considering they've put all their eggs in one basket. If anyone's hardware is overpriced, it's theirs, and the sheer amount of lawsuits, particularly pertaining antitrust and price fixing, is rather remarkable. In fact, they're on a lawsuit crusade right now.
At least Nintendo isn't making microscopically small revisions of the same system for years to come- isn't that right, Microsoft?

64bitmodels

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bloody hel what don't you understand lol meaning I couldn't giv cows arse what someone would pay for it even if was 1 billion as what harm is it doing to anyone else absolutely nothing
I'm not arguing about what harm it's doing to us, i'm just saying that anyone who unironically buys this is financially an idiot
Yeah it's a prototype, gaming history whatever- i give -100 fucks.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

At least Nintendo isn't making microscopically small revisions of the same system for years to come- isn't that right, Microsoft?
GB
GB light
GBC
GBA
GBASP
DS
DS lite
DSi
DSi XL
3ds
3dsXL
2ds
new 3ds
new 3ds xl
new 2ds xl
Switch
Switch lite
You were saying??

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not arguing about what harm it's doing to us, i'm just saying that anyone who unironically buys this is financially an idiot
Yeah it's a prototype, gaming history whatever- i give -100 fucks.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

GB
GB light
GBC
GBA
GBASP
DS
DS lite
DSi
DSi XL
3ds
3dsXL
2ds
new 3ds
new 3ds xl
new 2ds xl
Switch
Switch lite
You were saying??
None of those were "microscopically small". The smallest revisions were lite or xl, and even then a resize is still significant for a handheld.
GB Light: Backlight is important.
GBC: A DIFFERENT SYSTEM.
GBA: A WAY, WAY DIFFERENT SYSTEM.
GBA SP: A massive build shift, and backlight!
DS: It's literally a different thing entirely and started a new family of systems.
DSi: There are plenty of hardware differences.
DSi XL: See top comment.
3DS: Fundamentally different.
3DS XL: See top.
2DS: Cheaper "lite" alternative.
"New" systems: Significant upgrade.
Switch: It's the Switch.
Switch Lite: See 2DS.

64bitmodels

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None of those were "microscopically small". The smallest revisions were lite or xl, and even then a resize is still significant for a handheld.
GB Light: Backlight is important.
GBC: A DIFFERENT SYSTEM.
GBA: A WAY, WAY DIFFERENT SYSTEM.
GBA SP: A massive build shift, and backlight!
DS: It's literally a different thing entirely and started a new family of systems.
DSi: There are plenty of hardware differences.
DSi XL: See top comment.
3DS: Fundamentally different.
3DS XL: See top.
2DS: Cheaper "lite" alternative.
"New" systems: Significant upgrade.
Switch: It's the Switch.
Switch Lite: See 2DS.
there were already thousands of "light acessories for the game boy before the GBL came out
Doesn't help the GBL was a japan exclusive console
same for GBA
The only hardware differences found in the DSI were a camera and slightly beefed up specs. funny too because the battery life actually decreased on the DSi compared to the DS lite
3ds XL literally did nothing but revamp the design and make it bigger, nothing was changed.
Same for DS lite but they made it smaller, same for 2ds but they removed the 3d, and same for switch but they removed joycons and TV docking
New systems are significant hardware wise but they didn't do anything much with the new hardware
most games were still compatible with the normal 3ds, even in 2015-19

rsx

USA Modchip Installer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny thing is that he got offered a lot more than that and he rejected it because he tought he was gonna get more like this.

The 20% buyers premium is the fee that goes to the auctioneer. Buyers work that 20% into the total of what they're willing to pay. This happened to me a few years when I found a guy on calguns with a pistol I wanted to buy. Offered him a sum that was more than reasonable, but he decided to drop it off at an auction house. It sold for far less than I would have given him six months prior becuse I worked the auction free into what I was willing pay. I even told him about this after the fact, his response? Ignored me. If a gun is $500, my bid to the seller will be $400 knowing I have to pay the middleman another $100.

Last edited by rsx,

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there were already thousands of "light acessories for the game boy before the GBL came out
Doesn't help the GBL was a japan exclusive console
same for GBA
The only hardware differences found in the DSI were a camera and slightly beefed up specs. funny too because the battery life actually decreased on the DSi compared to the DS lite
3ds XL literally did nothing but revamp the design and make it bigger, nothing was changed.
Same for DS lite but they made it smaller, same for 2ds but they removed the 3d, and same for switch but they removed joycons and TV docking
New systems are significant hardware wise but they didn't do anything much with the new hardware
most games were still compatible with the normal 3ds, even in 2015-19
"same for GBA" explain, please? The GBA was so radically different that while some GBC games work on GB (mostly because the graphics are the same but colored), GBA carts could not- because the GBA was a whole new system with a ton more power and a ton more... frankly, everything.
Also, the lite and XL systems were designed for portability and for people with poorer eyesight respectively. Lite and 2ds were also designed as cheaper alternatives for people that wanted to play the games but couldn't afford the gimmicks.
The DSi's beefed up specs were used for DSiWare games.
I will admit, they didn't do as much with the New 3DS line, but the games exclusive to them are so for good reason. And the reason most games were compatible with the old 3DS (excluding Switch, obviously) were because that list of N3DS exclusive games... wasn't all that large and was mostly ports. But at least they were ports basically impossible on the old 3ds, or at least crazy hard to pull off.

64bitmodels

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"same for GBA" explain, please? The GBA was so radically different that while some GBC games work on GB (mostly because the graphics are the same but colored), GBA carts could not- because the GBA was a whole new system with a ton more power and a ton more... frankly, everything.
Also, the lite and XL systems were designed for portability and for people with poorer eyesight respectively. Lite and 2ds were also designed as cheaper alternatives for people that wanted to play the games but couldn't afford the gimmicks.
The DSi's beefed up specs were used for DSiWare games.
I will admit, they didn't do as much with the New 3DS line, but the games exclusive to them are so for good reason. And the reason most games were compatible with the old 3DS (excluding Switch, obviously) were because that list of N3DS exclusive games... wasn't all that large and was mostly ports. But at least they were ports basically impossible on the old 3ds, or at least crazy hard to pull off.
By same for GBA i meant that GBA too had light acessories before the SP came out
Plus the SP had 2 models, one with a crappy backlight, and one that's acceptable

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By same for GBA i meant that GBA too had light acessories before the SP came out
Plus the SP had 2 models, one with a crappy backlight, and one that's acceptable
Yeah but the systems really shouldn't be judged by the fact that their predecessors had accessories that they had the effect of
And yeah, the 100 model's backlight (not actually a backlight- technically a frontlight or something) sucked ass, but it was certainly an improvement over NO backlight! Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, anyone?

64bitmodels

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah but the systems really shouldn't be judged by the fact that their predecessors had accessories that they had the effect of
And yeah, the 100 model's backlight (not actually a backlight- technically a frontlight or something) sucked ass, but it was certainly an improvement over NO backlight! Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, anyone?
TBH the castlevania games on GBA suck ass compared to the DS games
the GBA had some other desirable qualities over the GBA sp, such as better shoulder buttons and a more comfortable form factor

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TBH the castlevania games on GBA suck ass compared to the DS games
the GBA had some other desirable qualities over the GBA sp, such as better shoulder buttons and a more comfortable form factor
aside from aria of sorrow I agree
the joke was that circle of the moon's graphics are dark and dull as fucc and without backlight (which last I checked the gba sp didn't exist when it came out soooo) it was nigh impossible to see

64bitmodels

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
aside from aria of sorrow I agree
the joke was that circle of the moon's graphics are dark and dull as fucc and without backlight (which last I checked the gba sp didn't exist when it came out soooo) it was nigh impossible to see
that's what frontlights are for!! 30 (or even 15) dollars can keep you from buying a whole new system. SP and Light seem really unessasary to me.
(Also, even then compared to dawn of sorrow, aria is decent at best and mediocre at worst)

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's what frontlights are for!! 30 (or even 15) dollars can keep you from buying a whole new system. SP and Light seem really unessasary to me.
(Also, even then compared to dawn of sorrow, aria is decent at best and mediocre at worst)
yeah but the light thing with CotM was the joke
that's it
and I will defend aria to the bitter end
it is a good game and so is dawn
dawn is just more refined (and with crappy shoehorned touchscreen seals *rolls eyes*)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sony revisions tend to be radically different and progressively better - they fix problems with the hardware as they go, I don't necessarily see a problem with that. Their "Slim" systems are always and without a doubt ten times better than their predecessors within the same line, often featuring reworked PCB's, die shrinks, improved power consumption etc., so if anything it points to attention to detail and listening to customer feedback. The same applies to Microsoft, really - 360's and Ones just got better over time with many, many reworks that made them smaller, better-cooled and more efficient. Regarding Nintendo, they're the ones who kicked off the "Pro" segment in console gaming with their DSi systems and continued the tradition with the New 3DS. We've gotten so used to Nintendo's love of revisions that many people are holding off from buying a Nintendo Switch right now in anticipation of a Switch Pro which was never announced or hinted at by Nintendo at all. Now, I know what you're going to say next - "Foxi, at least Nintendo revisions don't cut down features like the PSP E1000 or the later PS3's". Well, I present to you the Wii Mini and the Switch Lite, neither of which introduce anything new to the table and exist solely to reduce manufacturing costs. Frankly, I don't know why the Switch Lite even exists considering the fact that it's really not *that* much smaller - it's just cheaper because it's missing the core features of the original console.

Shape

Trophies
Website
codenametiger.com
XP
Country
United States
Good thing your opinion on the matter isn't worth 2 F*cks , except to you. Making it.... ..wait for it.....pointless and arbitrary to everybody else! See how that works.

I have no opinion on the matter. Stop making attacks and be constructive, we're here to form our own opinions, if you feel that its a hunk of plastic with no value, and they feel like it is a piece of history, you're both entitled to your opinions. Opinions are subjective, and therefore, arbitrary. Calm down.

The only thing that is stupid is a fallacy of logic. Personal attacks due to the refusal to accept someone else's subjective opinions and beliefs is an argumentative fallacy. The value of this object is obviously VERY subjective.

Keep the flames to yourself, please. Its not the argument that bugs me, I just don't understand, especially since we are communicating in a text format, why you can't calm down a little bit before writing a reply, so everyone can remember there are HUMANS JUST LIKE YOU on the other side of that screen.

Last edited by Shape,
Reactions: Ratskull

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol