Nintendo just paid off 3 people for the HackerOne Program

Discussion in 'Switch - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Jiehfeng, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Arck

Arck GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 13, 2016
    if piracy become a thing for the switch, it'll reduce maybe the number of game selled, but they'll sell more Switch !
    Piracy never killed a console anyway

2. Felek666

Felek666 retarded memekid which no one likes

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    They killed developers tho.

3. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    So basically snitches that get paid to point out what's wrong. Nothing wrong being a snitch if you believe it's the right thing and it won't harm you or others around you.

4. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Not really, and I made this point about the PSP, which still has games coming out.

5. Wiisel

Wiisel GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 4, 2008
    It's good old ninty protecting the consumer.

6. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    Re read his post again. Because I struggle to see where his post ever disagreed with what you have just typed,

7. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    I had a hard time perceiving his point as well...

gamefan5 likes this.
  8. pokemoner2500

pokemoner2500 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    I've said this before and I'll say it now, it may be selfish of me but I don't want the switch to get hacked early (for my own personal reasons), give it 2-3 years that way the system at least has some games.

Felek666 likes this.
  9. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    He made it sound like he was supporting the cause that people should not report there findings on hacking the switch and the fact his Avatar has a pirate face with crosses on his hat tells me a lot! I might of just misunderstood it!

Last edited by Reecey, Apr 11, 2017
  10. deinonychus71

deinonychus71 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 12, 2008
    United States
    Chicago
    Reading some early comments... wow... a wall of shame?

You guys realize that if the switch gets massively hacked too fast it will make third party devs even more hesitant to get on it? It's not all about killing a console or not, it's also when you do it during a product life cycle.
    I'm all for homebrew and modding, hell I'd love to undub zelda and get some smash mods working (could actually motivate me to do stuff again...) but let's face it, piracy is a thing and should not be easily achievable so early.
    There is next to no legit justification for having "backups" on switch. It's using cartridges (supposely durable) and is region free.

11. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    You need work on your investigative skills.
    Because his post was anything but that.

Reecey likes this.
  12. Devin

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

GBAtemp Patron
    Devin is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    Snitches just seems to be the keyword that everyone here has picked up on. I would expect a hacking orientated website to not be kind to those that aren't helping their scene. Entitled people who "respect" developers but only if they release things don't deserve things at all. They only care about the end product. (Which like you said Dino. 99% piracy, 1% homebrew. I can't even imagine what homebrew people are hoping for. Emulation of systems you've been able to emulate on a $60 2DS? Or maybe some shoddy PS1 emulation that has the potential to get a little better over time.) While I don't own a Switch anymore and don't necessarily care about it being hacked; I do want it to be. Am I going to piss on the graves of someone who doesn't want that kind of future for the system? At least not so soon? No, because I'm not a child who's upset that mom isn't paying me any attention and instead is paying attention to father Nintendo over there. (I mean he got her flowers and chocolates. Albeit not expensive ones. $20,000 max Nintendo? If someone exploited the system and wanted to market it via Kickstarter or something of the like they'd get way more than that.)

tl;dr Sit down, enjoy your BOTW machine, and wait for someone who doesn't want Nintendo's money.

13. Reecey

Mar 7, 2010
    Nevermind I might of just misunderstood it! the comment was good though ;)

gamefan5 likes this.
  14. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    My avatar is the mascot used by Razor1911 from over a decade ago. It's more of an homage to the demo scene.

Reecey likes this.
  15. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
    Speaking for yourself??

Felek666 likes this.
  16. Reecey

Mar 7, 2010
    Good man I'm glad we got it all cleared up :)

Edit: I was being honest then by the way, in case you might think I was being sarcastic just thought I would say :)

Last edited by Reecey, Apr 11, 2017
  17. RemixDeluxe
    This message by RemixDeluxe has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Apr 11, 2017.
    Apr 11, 2017
  18. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    The homebrewers and emulator writers of the GCN/Xbox days and Wii days have moved on the the Android platform.
    No risk for piracy as it's open source and no tricky hacks.

But yeh, people aren't smart.
    They can softmodding, jailbreaking and even call flashcards jailbreaking.
    They think they can emulate a system at Day 1 and expect backuploaders within a week.

19. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    So... how much did they get paid? I mean the ARM Trustzone Takeover is a big thing.

20. Felek666

Felek666 retarded memekid which no one likes

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    Nobody managed to exploit the ARM TrustZone yet so we don't know.

21. Risingdawn

Risingdawn Tempallica

May 22, 2010
    United Kingdom
    My thoughts, this is a great thing. Why, because the quicker Nintendo find an exploit the quicker it's patched. The quicker it's patched the quicker the original exploit will be released to the community.

As long as you're not stupid enough to blindly hit the update button as soon as a "stability" update is released. And if you're too impatient to wait for old fw developments to catch up then you weren't that interested in homebrew in the first place.

Many hackers wait to release an exploit until it's already patched, that way they only target hard-core hack users who aren't that interested in anything else the system has to offer and continue with a (mostly) clean conscience.