Nintendo just paid off 3 people for the HackerOne Program

Discussion in 'Switch - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Jiehfeng, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Sadly it seems 18 year olds have the same edgy mentality.

2. Kyubnyan

Kyubnyan GBAtemp Fan

Dec 1, 2016
    United States
    For all we know these exploits could have allowed people to steal credit card info.

NCorp. and HylianMario like this.
  3. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    i know what they patched...

the ability to run PS4 and Xbone emulators...

DAMN YOU WHITE HAT SNITCH HACKERS!

Last edited by Flame, Apr 11, 2017
  4. MadMageKefka

MadMageKefka GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 28, 2016
    United States
    World of ruin
    Still, they are finding exploits that would otherwise be used by the hacking community and exposing them to the people who can put a stop to it. They are being a "buzzkill." It's like if you're trying to have a party while your parents are away, but you have a maid that finds out and tells your parents, putting a stop to the party. Sure, its her job to do so in order to help prevent the house from being destroyed, but she's still a snitch, right?

5. Elysium420

Elysium420 Shitposting bastard

Feb 10, 2016
    Greece
    Shitville
    Again, not the whole community.

6. MadMageKefka

Apr 28, 2016
    United States
    World of ruin
    "Helping" by exposing is EXACTLY what a snitch is, though. Like, if you snitch, or "rat out" a murderer, you're helping make the town more secure, right? Doesn't make you less of a snitch.

7. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    if i tell you the address of this white hat hackers, will you "take them out" for us?

8. MadMageKefka

Apr 28, 2016
    United States
    World of ruin
    Depends how much.....

I did say I'm not upset with them in my first post, lol. Just debating the definition of the term.

9. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Not the same thing, but to each their own.

10. torrent_get

torrent_get Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2011
    Switch bitch snitches get riche$.

11. Biff627

Biff627 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 15, 2015
    United States
    Omg, are you serious lol? I know you arent angry. But they arent :rofl2: Its exposing something that could harm the console more than anything lol Full access to the system OS is something nintendo doesn't want. Exploits and murderers are 2 way different concepts... You are showing nintendo their security flaws. Not ratting out someone for killing someone else. See the difference? They are snitches when you didn't even know about the exploits in the first place. No one else had anything to do with the exploits. So they arent snitching on anyone :wtf:
    Idk what I was typing there...

Last edited by Biff627, Apr 11, 2017
  12. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    exploit site best website.

13. DinohScene

DinohScene DinohScene <З MartyDreamy

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    But 99% of the "hacking" community wants piracy and the 1% that actually does care about homebrew is either developing for the console or on an android platform.

They still aren't snitches imho.

Memoir and Biff627 like this.
  14. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    there goes watching youtube videos on your switch while your taking a shit :lol:

15. Felek666

Felek666 Archdemon | #bestgirl

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    They never worked anyway...

16. lisreal2401

lisreal2401 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    This is fine as long as they allow exploits to be released after they've been patched. It's common for hackers to do this - inform the company and then release the exploit after it's patched. Best example was the JTAG on Xbox 360.

EDIT: I bet you that safehax implementation on 11.3 was an example of this.

17. Wolololo

Wolololo Member

Newcomer
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hmm, work hard on an exploit and sell it for money to a respectable company, helping them making their system more secure, or give it away for free to a community made of 99% of kids who don't care about anything but piracy... tough choice.

Don't get me wrong, I'm on the side of using the hack for homebrews, but that's probably because I'm not the one who's found the exploit ;)

But as a hacker, the fears I would have are:
    - revealing a critical exploit to Nintendo, only to realize they'll only give me like $100 for it. Was it worth screwing over the community for that? Was it worth the time? (Hint, some sites on the scene would pay/donate more than $100 for the privilege to be the first to reveal and distribute the hack, with no strings attached)
    - giving a company my personal information, while clearly admitting to be a skilled reverse engineer: no way to go back to the scene after that, constant fear of being "flagged" by the company. So it's a one way door

Tomato Hentai and GerbilSoft like this.
  18. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    Here's another way to think about it: if Switch hacks are made public too soon and piracy becomes rampant, game companies may be less likely to make games for the Switch, which could lead to its premature death.

(That said, I would still love to see hacks.)

HylianMario likes this.
  19. Biff627

Biff627 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 15, 2015
    United States
    Nah, you secretly want the switch to die :rofl2:

20. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    But that's exactly what we don't want "releasing findings early for the sake of a higher bounty" soon as they "leak" there work that will get worked on and will eventually develop into something more which in tern will result to piracy without a doubt on a level that cannot be turned back! tbh I say to "anyone" who buys a console on its release this early hoping or looking through the homebrew & hacking sections for homebrew/piracy are quite honestly very sad and need to get a life! I have said this before I "NEVER" buy a console on the intentions of it being hacked and don't let my signature fool you into thinking just that, I only enjoy that side of the device years down the line when it is something to have a play at but talking about "hacking" with the Switch this early on in its development stage is just plain sad and quite wrong I mean why buy the console in the first instance, just on the off chances of it being hacked early, it just amazes me!. I buy my games to support the developers and the console manufactures so why shouldn't that person be any different, if it happens say 4 - 5 years down the line then what the hell, its pretty much redundant at that stage anyway.

Last edited by Reecey, Apr 11, 2017