Hacking up to 4.x exploitable, but lower firmware is better

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those are third party discounts. Where is the $20 or even $40 Mario Kart 8? If mario kart 8 was $40, i bet someone would buy it for the kid or he would use his own money. I don't feel right about asking a child to spend $60 on MK8, when he can already play it for free on my Wii U. I don't feel right about asking his parents or myself to spend 60 on MK8 either. Would rather save that gift to buy Yoshi or some other game that he couldn't get any other way.
Mk8 is cheaper because it's old. I don't expect it to be same price. Firstly, it includes the dlc which essentially makes it the same price for all the content with dlc, then it also includes more content. And it takes work to port games from one architecture to another, it isn't just copy paste. And the title is now portable. How does that make it not worth the full price?

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"they are doing nothing to stop me"
Nintendo has had one of their best release years in a long while. New console, and a year jam packed with awesome games releases. If you don't like what they have done, then leave. They clearly will do just fine based on how well they are doing already. If we thought it was bad it would be obvious. Just look at wii u. Sold less in several years than what switch has done in 10 months. We don't just blindly support nintendo. Just because you don't like what they are doing doesn't mean that everyone doesn't, and in fact most have the opposite view

Nintendo has to be so awesome that it not only meets my expectations for this generation, but makes up for the Wii U disaster. I feel cheated for buying a Wii U. It wasn't nearly as fun as the Wii. While the Switch may turn out better than the Wii U, it doesn't seem as fun as the Wii yet.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo has to be so awesome that it not only meets my expectations for this generation, but makes up for the Wii U disaster. I feel cheated for buying a Wii U. It wasn't nearly as fun as the Wii. While the Switch may turn out better than the Wii U, it doesn't seem as fun as the Wii yet.
At that point you just seem to be looking at it through nostalgia glasses. The wii was a terrible console. It had tons of games, but most were garbage shovelware.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Mk8 is cheaper because it's old. I don't expect it to be same price. Firstly, it includes the dlc which essentially makes it the same price for all the content with dlc, then it also includes more content. And it takes work to port games from one architecture to another, it isn't just copy paste. And the title is now portable. How does that make it not worth the full price?
Pricing is a different argument for another thread.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At that point you just seem to be looking at it through nostalgia glasses. The wii was a terrible console. It had tons of games, but most were garbage shovelware.

The wii had a large volume of games that I got a shit ton of play time out of. The Wii was very casual friendly, meaning other people would frequently want to play with you. There was so many nights of coming home drunk and playing Wii, or staying home drunk and playing wii, or playing wii sober. People enjoy those casual shovelware games. There's also gems. Super Paper Mario, Excite Truck, Mario Galaxy, and so much more. I really liked WarioWare Smooth Moves. Wii U got nothing like that. I got my money's worth. Some of it may be because I was younger, but still. At my age now, no one wants to play with me at all. I couldn't even get my friend and his Mom to Play Jeopardy with me, and they like to play along with the real Jeopardy TV show. The Wii was a social tool, the Switch isn't. I want to feel like a kid again. Where you can play for hours at a time and lose track of time. Where you think about the game all day long. Where it's all you want to talk about. I want a really addictive really fun game. A game that makes you stop watching TV for awhile while you play the game. I'm addicted to TV, I want a game that I enjoy even more than TV. The last game that made me feel that way is Skyward Sword. That was over 6 years ago. 6 years without feeling like that. I may never feel like that again. Breath of the Wild didn't do it for me. Imagine waiting 6 years for a sequel to a game that you loved to death and when it finally comes out, it's nothing like it was. You can call that nostalgia. You can call that getting older. You can call it depression even since I've certainly got that from the unemployment. That's how I feel though. I don't know what game, if any, will every be able to restore that magic. But Nintendo is now determined to make games totally different, so I don't know if I can get it back. The new ones just aren't what I'm looking for.

Odyssey is pretty good. I am happy with the way it came out. I am playing it a bit a few times a week. But no where near as strong as Skyward Sword. Now I just want a job, and a wife, and a house, and stuff, and to have dinner parties, new friends, hunt rare beers and try some drugs now and then. Have you tried LSD or mushrooms or anything? That's really fun, but certainly hard to work into an adult schedule. Once you try dropping acid at a hippie music festival, video games just don't seem that fun anymore. I've wasted hours arguing with you guys. This argument is more fun than Mario. I was gonna play Mario, use a guide to find some moons. I'm past 500 already, so the remaining moons are getting harder to find. But I argued instead. Where's the video game that's as addictive as arguing? I want that one.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone who buys a launch is projecting the future. No one things a console is worth $300 on the first day. They hope it will eventually be worth that.
No, that's not true. I bought the system based on what I already knew about the system, which was botw/odyssey/other games, and the portability and multiplayer aspect. You seem to think your situation and thinking applies to everyone. It doesn't

It's not paranoia, it's probability. All the things I'm worrying about have happened to people in the past. They will continue to happen to some people. I don't see why you are against it. There's literally zero downside to putting updates behind parental controls. How could anyone be against this? I absoutely do have a right to speak for people in general. I want them to have optional, no downside, control. If the system is programmed well, it's trivially easy to enable parental controls on the update app. No reason to not do it.
How could anyone be against it? Nintendo. It doesn't hurt anyone, but it doesn't really help anyone other than those looking to exploit their console. So by adding that, Nintendo would basically only be putting time into it to in turn benefit those that only want piracy anyway. I've already explained that to you, have you already forgotten?

You can value the gold however you like, and you got a good deal on it it seems. For me to buy Zelda for $60 and then not even play it would not be good value. I'm going to use that $60 for a night out seeing my favorite band. That's my choice. But I can still be disappointed in Nintendo for not making something I like better. Nintendo could very well still be making the right decisions, but I am entitled to feel this way. I can be disappointed. And I can argue for theoretical situations because that's really fun. It happens. I've lost save data before due to technical issues and physical theft. It doesn't feel good. That's harder to prevent. But they can make it harder to lose save data due to other people's access. So why not? It's absolutely worth a few developer hours to save all those people's data. I would be ashamed of this if I was the engineer and didn't argue for these features to be included. I have no idea why anyone would resist them.

"because I don't like the games nintendo makes, even though most others do, that entitles me to be able to pirate their games."

FliP0x

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Not trying to cause toxicity, but I have a question regarding:
"- Firmware 3.0.0:
-> Contains system flaws that allow code execution on the userland level;
-> Can be exploited to run homebrew using private methods (e.g.: nvhax);
-> Can be exploited to run homebrew using public methods (e.g.: rohan).

- Firmware 3.0.1-4.1.0:
-> Can be exploited to run homebrew using private methods (e.g.: nvhax)."

This sounds like 3.0.0 and above is basically the same thing, except that 3.0.0 currently has a publicly released method on how to load homebrew. My Switch came with 3.0.2 and I may have found a seller whose Switch is on 3.0.0.

Obviously, I am interested to buy it, but based on this quote I don't see the point. 3.0+ currently only has access to userland level and the only difference is that currently just 3.0.0 has a public exploit release.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not trying to cause toxicity, but I have a question regarding:
"- Firmware 3.0.0:
-> Can be exploited to run homebrew using private methods (e.g.: nvhax);
-> Can be exploited to run homebrew using public methods (e.g.: rohan).

- Firmware 3.0.1-4.1.0:
-> Can be exploited to run homebrew using private methods (e.g.: nvhax)."

This sounds like 3.0.0 and above is basically the same thing, except that 3.0.0 currently has a publicly released method on how to load homebrew. My Switch came with 3.0.2 and I may have found a seller whose Switch is on 3.0.0.

Obviously, I am interested to buy it, but based on this quote I don't see the point. 3.0+ currently only has access to userland level and the only difference is that currently just 3.0.0 has a public exploit release.

Correct, I believe that the private exploit, the one that works on 4.1.0, will be released under one condition, the exploit is patched in a future firmware update. Once that happens, 4.1.0 users are able to use homebrew :) If I am wrong, please let me know :P

FliP0x

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Correct, I believe that the private exploit, the one that works on 4.1.0, will be released under one condition, the exploit is patched in a future firmware update. Once that happens, 4.1.0 users are able to use homebrew :) If I am wrong, please let me know :P

That is how I understood it as well, just wanted to make sure. So it is basically the same whether you are on 3.0 or 4.1, major exploits are fixed with 3.0, but they still allow homebrew.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is how I understood it as well, just wanted to make sure. So it is basically the same whether you are on 3.0 or 4.1, major exploits are fixed with 3.0, but they still allow homebrew.

And right now, the only real thing I care about is homebrew (like emulators, media apps, etc), but I've since disconnected from WiFi as a precaution :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So salty