Nintendo just paid off 3 people for the HackerOne Program

Discussion in 'Switch - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Jiehfeng, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Deboog

Deboog GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 22, 2013
    United States
    Good on Nintendo. Imo it's better they appreciate the hacking community and work with them for security than lawyer up and try to sue all our asses.
    This just makes the race for exploits all the more competitive. :P Step your game up Smea.

2. DrkBeam

DrkBeam GBAtemp Fan

Jun 12, 2016
    Spain
    Of course the companies need to secure their system and one of the most worried about security is Nintendo, it doesn't mean it has the best security on consoles, Xbox one is almost bulletproof, but it might mean they could attack cfw, banning people or lead to a system non functional in the worst case scenario, they have the right to give the vulnerabilities to nintendo

3. Felek666

Felek666 retarded memekid which no one likes

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    Private userland exploit + game dumping exists for it.

4. andxor

andxor Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 10, 2017
    Finland
    Snitches get stitches :evil:

j/k. Everybody is entitled to do whatever they think is right with the vulnerabilities they discover themselves. But the good news is that ultimately with every update we can see what is changed/fixed and figure out how to exploit it. Just don't update your firmware version :)

5. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Part of this program when sharing the exploit secrets is to also keep it confidential. Otherwise it would be pointless if Nintendo can just get it free from searching up exploit online.

6. dAVID_

dAVID_ GBAtemp's Official Onion Cricket

Oct 23, 2016
    Mexico
    Your basement
    Some people live off finding zero days.

7. DrkBeam

DrkBeam GBAtemp Fan

Jun 12, 2016
    Spain
    I said almost, is even public the userland exploit?, I think the ps4 has at least a kernel exploit

8. Felek666

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    It's private, atleast it might make some people to move their lazy asses and do something about Xbox One. People just told themselves "It's impossible" and the end. big dot. If they would actually try then Xbox One would even had kernel exploit by now.

9. Risingdawn

Risingdawn Tempallica

May 22, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Well, if it's only released after it's patched there is nothing to search for in the first place, unless Nintendo is searching for vulns it has already patched.
    And I'm not saying the person revealing the exploit is the one releasing it, several dozen people could all be sitting on a vulnerability but not releasing it for fear of retribution, until the vuln is patched at which point it becomes alot safer.

10. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    Honestly, its like they are trying to do what Sony is doing to with their Playstations, but they have it backwards.

Instead of doing it with a few people why not get a whole team involved & "spies" that watch over this stuff on Gbatemp, reddit, or what not.

Also there's nothing to be ashamed about, people just want to make a quick buck. If nintendo was stupid enough people could break their security interly. (and steal their money!)

11. Devin

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

GBAtemp Patron
    Devin is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    Which makes sense. I have a JXD tablet I got from a Temper that plays emulates everything I want it to, (Haven't tried PS1 but assuming it'd be at a decent playable state.) has a nice screen, dual circle pads, and was super cheap. (I think I traded someone on here a Steam game code for it.)

I remember back when the PS3 was first hacked they called it jailbreaking. It was probably due to geohot's previous accomplishments in the iOS scene that led people to just calling it a jailbreak. It's starting to feel like people want instant gratification from their Switch purchase and the game they bought along with it aren't enough. With three people already having discovered exploits in the system, (We don't know what. They could've all been save exploits that wouldn't do anything for opening up the Switch.) I'm sure that more will popup over time. If people worked at it and found the exploits themselves rather stealing an existing exploit somehow. (First thought that comes to mind is the Govanify leak.) Then I don't see what the problem is with them doing whatever they want with it is. Would I rather sell an exploit I found to Nintendo and get paid for it? Or release it to the public with possible legal ramifications in order to get the cheers of the scene for a good month or two? I'd choose the former and as a bonus would even have something to add on my resume.

DinohScene likes this.
  12. Corgi

Corgi Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 10, 2017
    United States
    Maybe one day my name will be up there. Gotta pay the bills somehow.

13. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Exactly that.

Todays "scene" is nothing but attention whoring and drama.
    Not to mention that you barely get any praise if it doesn't lead to piracy.

Felek666 likes this.
  14. RemixDeluxe

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Its not difficult to come up with a completely different profile name than what you normally go by on your online profile across social media and forums so the retribution thing is null. I'm not too worried for the Switch's future, cause the people that do have something worthwhile to contribute actually are passionate about homebrew to not sell themselves out like this. People can defend this and not call it snitching the same way people defend censorship and claim its "localization" (not the same things.)

For the rest of you applauding this for fear of piracy, unless you were born yesterday you are beyond ignorant on how long it actually takes for progress to be made for user exploits or any sort of piracy to happen. On 3DS and Wii U it wasnt years until something was usable, exploits weren't just available at 3DS/Wii U launches and homebrew devs held on to them purposely to make you feel better. I cant believe people think like this.

Felek666 likes this.
  15. Haider Raza

Haider Raza Alhumdulillah

GBAtemp Patron
    Haider Raza is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 30, 2016
    Pakistan
    Hmmmmmmmmm this looks bad.

16. Devin

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

GBAtemp Patron
    Devin is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    Damned if you do release something that leads to piracy ("You're killing the system early!"), damned if you don't. (This thread.)

DinohScene likes this.
  17. Felek666

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    Finally somebody did comment it! Thank you Remix, maybe they will (finally) understand :D

18. Risingdawn

Risingdawn Tempallica

May 22, 2010
    United Kingdom
    I agree, pretty much said same thing to somebody asking about 2.0.0 on switch. It will be years before we see anything on a fw worth seeing it on.

Myself, not massively bothered by switch so mines staying on 2.0.0 until something worthwhile comes out, I'd like my Switch to say hello world just once before it updates.

19. RemixDeluxe

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Maybe they think Homebrew Devs hacked into Nintendo's systems and got Super Mario Odyssey early too. Who the fuck knows how they think, its too one dimensional.

Felek666 likes this.
  20. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    The hack of Valve was kind of cool how they manage to get access to it. I actually knew one of the people that helped get access to the system.