Gaming MSI G31M3-v2 and E8400 OC Help

Patelitojoe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I recently bought a pc from cyberpower with the hopes to OC my cpu. The stats are roughly

E8400 @ 3.0ghz

4.0gb of ram. (some generic brand)

Windows Vista Ultimate 64x

320gb HD

I'm trying to oc to 3.6ghz. I don't have anymore info on the pc unil I get home. The vcore can't be changed on my motherboard but I hear that the e8400 is easy to overclock. Any tips as to how I can overclock my cpu.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
No Vcore changing? Make sure that baby doesn't up it itself (as that generally sucks as it is way more then the chip needs). Naturally watch the temps on your proc too and do stability tests along the way (each change) with Orthos or w/e.

Change 1 variable at a time (upwards); FSB, mem clock, core clock (and Vcore). Also make sure it's the proc being the problem or the memory (or the mobo!).

Patelitojoe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't even clock it to 3.1ghz. the mobo stops at around 3.05ghz and doesn't boot beyond it. is there anything I might be doing wrong?

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Patelitojoe said:
I can't even clock it to 3.1ghz. the mobo stops at around 3.05ghz and doesn't boot beyond it. is there anything I might be doing wrong?
What are you changing to get to 3.1? Also is Vcore changing (or any of the other voltages) while you up the speed?

AnotherMuggle

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you are OCing a pre-built machine then there's a chance the PSU is not man enough to cope with the increased power draw.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: idk