can i OC my laptop ?

digipokemaster

Innocent Uke
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im wondering how i can OC my laptop but im not sure if i can or how to.

this is my specs

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 @ 2.60GHz 41 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G551JW (SOCKET 0) 43 °C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4600 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M (ASUStek Computer Inc) 38 °C
ForceWare version: 368.39
SLI Disabled
Storage
931GB Hitachi HGST HTS721010A9E630 (SATA) 33 °C
2048GB Microsoft Storage Space Device (TMax)
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GUC0N
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
im wondering how i can OC my laptop but im not sure if i can or how to.

this is my specs

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 @ 2.60GHz 41 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G551JW (SOCKET 0) 43 °C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4600 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M (ASUStek Computer Inc) 38 °C
ForceWare version: 368.39
SLI Disabled
Storage
931GB Hitachi HGST HTS721010A9E630 (SATA) 33 °C
2048GB Microsoft Storage Space Device (TMax)
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GUC0N
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
You can try SetFSB which may or may not work depending on your CPU and laptop manufacturer, you will not get a huge increase in clock speed, due to heat as well as the fact that changing the FSB actually overclocks some other components in your system as well and they may make things unstable/crashy long before the CPU does.

In general I don't think it's worth it to overclock laptop CPUs. Your CPU is fairly modern so it should be powerful enough to run pretty much anything and the performance gains would be minimal, the GPU is more likely to be the bottleneck if you are gaming on it.
You may be able to overclock the GPU - I am not sure on how to do that on a laptop though. You still wouldn't get big performance gains, maybe a couple FPS extra in games.
Be very careful if you still want to overclock despite this, monitor the temps (both on the CPU and other components if you are changing the FSB) and make sure they don't get unusually high during stress tests and all that. I have successfully overclocked my laptop CPU in the past without temps increasing much, still within safe limits, but it wasn't really worth the miniscule performance gains and potential instability.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Magical Sheep

The Super Stylish Cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With those specs, I don't really think you need to, but there should be options in the BIOS to overclock the parts. Overclocking could potentially cause the parts to break much faster, so just be careful.
As vayanni8 said, the cooling in laptops isn't build for that. Some laptops have really poor cooling, which could melt some things inside it.

digipokemaster

Innocent Uke
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ah ok thanks is there anything i can do to get the best out of my laptop besides OC programs etc jsut curious i like to get the best out of my laptop if i can

Magical Sheep

The Super Stylish Cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ah ok thanks is there anything i can do to get the best out of my laptop besides OC programs etc jsut curious i like to get the best out of my laptop if i can
You could use something like Razer Cortex or something that shuts off the background processes when you launch certain apps. If you're using it inside, you should keep it plugged in, or you could change the power mode to high power in the battery options.

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
99.8% of laptops do not allow OCing at all; the hardware cooling solution isn't upto it and the V-core changes while overclocking can't be handled on battery powered computing devices. What I'm saying is that OCing would increase powerdraw and thermals that the laptop isn't meant to handle.

Purge

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Laptops typically already have enough trouble cooling system components under heavy load, and you want to OC it? Bad idea mate

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    +1
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    +1
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    +1
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    +1
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @The Real Jdbye, it's bed bath and beyond you nitwit
    @K3Nv2 you said instructions with pictures, same difference
    Lol now with 32GBs of VRAM Ken?
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol now with 32GBs of VRAM Ken?