Hardware I'm about to upgrade from a laptop to a desktop. Rate my future setup!

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I already said OP should go for the cheaper option after everything is considered. I would just want to prevent OP from being misguided by bullshit without evidence, which is what he was throwing around.

I can actually agree on this point, even if for the reason of prices dropping by about $50. With both CPU and GPU coming out soon, we are going to see the annual drop in prices, which alone makes waiting worthwhile when on a budget.
That's all Felek666 does in these types of threads. Depending on the situation he's right.. This time around though? Not so much. Not to mention that "puts Intel to shame" bit. That's what shows famboyish behavior. Ugh. It's disgusting. He's also still a cocky teenager. So, some pass there.

Reactions: Deleted User

sansnumen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still, it's dumb of them. AMD doesn't have anything like that so.. that's why i'm recommending them

I have access to a PC with a 6700K and it rocks. Not overclocked however because the summers where I live are hot and muggy. AMD is an overall better choice because the price is lower and their Ryzen chips I believe all have unlocked multipliers. Although it is harder to overclock AMD chips because they run hotter than Intel chips. So there's that.

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I have access to a PC with a 6700K and it rocks. Not overclocked however because the summers where I live are hot and muggy. AMD is an overall better choice because the price is lower and their Ryzen chips I believe all have unlocked multipliers. Although it is harder to overclock AMD chips because they run hotter than Intel chips. So there's that.
The intel -k denomination is their unlocked line, and they have a $50 markup because of it. It's probably the thing I hate most about them.

D

Deleted User

That's all Felek666 does in these types of threads. Depending on the situation he's right.. This time around though? Not so much. Not to mention that "puts Intel to shame" bit. That's what shows famboyish behavior. Ugh. It's disgusting. He's also still a cocky teenager. So, some pass there.
Meh, I wouldn't hate Intel if their CPU prices weren't so damn high. .o.
I don't hate Intel but in a long run they're not worth it.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For what it's worth, overclocking Ryzen or Intel techinically voids the warranty. Look for yourself. AMD's overclocking guide

https://www.amd.com/system/files/20...AMD-Ryzen-Master-Overclocking-Users-Guide.pdf

"
DAMAGES CAUSED BY USE OF YOUR AMD PROCESSOR OUTSIDE OF OFFICIAL AMD SPECIFICATIONS OR OUTSIDE OF FACTORY SETTINGS ARE NOT COVERED UNDER ANY AMD PRODUCT WARRANTY AND MAY NOT BE COVERED BY YOUR BOARD OR
SYSTEM MANUFACTURER’S WARRANTY."

No one gives a shit because there is no way to tell. Goes for AMD & Intel, overclocking technically voids it, no one cares because a dead cpu is a dead cpu, can't tell why/how it died or how it was run. Tuning plan is only good as if you lose the silicon lottery you can get a swap.

sansnumen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The intel -k denomination is their unlocked line, and they have a $50 markup because of it. It's probably the thing I hate most about them.

I agree. However, the 6700K was on sale when I got it, so there was no reason to pick the 6700 over the 6700K.

I just checked. The price difference between the 6700 and 6700K is only $10 right now at Microcenter. For $10, you go from 3.4Ghz to 4.0Ghz and an unlocked multiplier. Really a no brainer decision.

Last edited by sansnumen,

felix.200

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@smileyhead I would get a GTX 1060 6GB version because 3GB of VRAM just won't be enough for future games. I think 4GB are the absolute minimum if you want High/Ultra Settings

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
And you might want to go with 16 GB RAM instead.
I'll upgrade later, I don't have the money for now.
I would get a better GPU, at least a 1070. It doesn't cost a lot more
I've already stated that the cheapest 1070 is more than HUF 50 000 more expensive than a 1060. completely out of my reach.
And why not a bigger monitor? A decent 24" monitor is dirt cheap these days.
we either have different concepts of "cheap", or that's not the case over here. a 21" monitor will be way bigger than my current one anyway.

HamBone41801

Vipera’s Alt
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've already stated that the cheapest 1070 is more than HUF 50 000 more expensive than a 1060. completely out of my reach.
How much more is the 6GB version of the 1060? As many people have stated in this thread, 3GB isn't really going to be enough in the upcoming years (as seen by the increasing of VRAM on both sides of the aisle), so unless you plan to upgrade it in 2 years, it may be worth looking into getting the 6GB version.

Reactions: rileysrjay

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
How much more is the 6GB version of the 1060? As many people have stated in this thread, 3GB isn't really going to be enough in the upcoming years (as seen by the increasing of VRAM on both sides of the aisle), so unless you plan to upgrade it in 2 years, it may be worth looking into getting the 6GB version.
HUF 17 671 (~€58)
EDIT: eh, fuck it

Last edited by smileyhead,

Jarmenti

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
intel doesn't recommend overclocking because of the shitty TIM they use between the die and the heat spreader... Its so bad that people have manufactured and are selling tools to delid the cpus!... Amd has always soldered their heat spredders from day one. I seen one vid where a fellow with a 7700k showed toothpaste outperforming the TIM that intel uses from the factory LOL

Jarmenti

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've never been a fanboy of either side... laptop is intel kaby lake, my previous desktop was an amd fx platform... I was always a fan of ATI though since they were originally a Canadian company before being bought by AMD. The truth in cpu land lately is that Intel got caught with their pants down!... their whole x299 platform is a joke!

Reactions: felix.200

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'll upgrade later, I don't have the money for now.

we either have different concepts of "cheap", or that's not the case over here. a 21" monitor will be way bigger than my current one anyway.
You might want to wait a bit longer then, and save up so that you can afford a 1070. A 1070 will last you longer before needing to upgrade, the 1060 is basically already outdated.

If you look at other monitor brands, I'm sure you can find a 24" that's not much more than the 21". BenQ makes decent cheap monitors.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah. Way better. Games are moving onto multi-core performance and also Ryzen is best for gaming and cheaper.
You can always buy something else like more DDR4 RAM.

Id personally go with a Intel-Core-i9-7920X no AMD beats that. The cpu is the one thing that you dont skimp on. GPUs can be popped in and out but every year they change the chip set limiting what cpu you can upgrade to. When i do decide to build another desktop its gonna be a beast. I like my desktops to be around for years. My intel core 2 quad build is still going good from 2007 and its on 24/7....

My guess that i9 costs as much as your entire build lol. I think your build is decent you should go with more ram. 16-32 is good. 8 is kinda min nowadays You should have at-least a 600 watt power supply. Newer gpus will tax the system power. and be careful on the Over clocked GPUs. I prefer to just spend the money on faster parts then just overclocked cheaper parts. Overclocked never lasts long enough for me specially the gpus.

Oh BTW where is the optical drive...... and the Floppy j/k now im trolling. but no optical? they are $20

Last edited by Captain_N,
D

Deleted User

You might want to wait a bit longer then, and save up so that you can afford a 1070. A 1070 will last you longer before needing to upgrade, the 1060 is basically already outdated.

If you look at other monitor brands, I'm sure you can find a 24" that's not much more than the 21". BenQ makes decent cheap monitors.
BenQ is one of the better companies apparently... Hm there was also that one company, I forgot it's name but they had decent monitors for cheaper...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Id personally go with a Intel-Core-i9-7920X no AMD beats that. The cpu is the one thing that you dont skimp on. GPUs can be popped in and out but every year they change the chip set limiting what cpu you can upgrade to. When i do decide to build another desktop its gonna be a beast. I like my desktops to be around for years. My intel core 2 quad build is still going good from 2007 and its on 24/7....
My guess that i9 costs as much as your entire build lol. I think your build is decent you should go with more ram. 16-32 is good. 8 is kinda min nowadays and be careful on the Over clocked GPUs. I prefer to just spend the money on faster parts then just overclocked cheaper parts. Overclocked never lasts long enough for me specially the gpus.

Oh BTW where is the optical drive...... and the Floppy j/k now im trolling. but no optical? they are $20
*points at Threadripper*
Alright I'll go back to my corner now.

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
I can use the optical drive from the old family computer that's gone unused.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

And the Floppy too... yes, I'm serious :^)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up