Hardware I'm about to upgrade from a laptop to a desktop. Rate my future setup!

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can use the optical drive from the old family computer that's gone unused.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

And the Floppy too... yes, I'm serious :^)

lol the floppy wont work unless its the internal usb. The floppy connector port is not even on 99.9% of mother boards. Funny thing is my friends 4th gen i7 board can take a 5 1/4 floppy drive lol there is a floppy connector. I should of tried it with my drives

Core i9-7980XE: (2.6GHz, 4.4GHz burst) 18 cores/36 threads, $1,999
This chip is uber but damn the price lol. 36 threads tho a bit overkill unless you want to run 20 games at once.... or 60 minecraft servers lol

Jarmenti

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Id personally go with a Intel-Core-i9-7920X no AMD beats that. The cpu is the one thing that you dont skimp on. GPUs can be popped in and out but every year they change the chip set limiting what cpu you can upgrade to. When i do decide to build another desktop its gonna be a beast. I like my desktops to be around for years. My intel core 2 quad build is still going good from 2007 and its on 24/7....

My guess that i9 costs as much as your entire build lol. I think your build is decent you should go with more ram. 16-32 is good. 8 is kinda min nowadays You should have at-least a 600 watt power supply. Newer gpus will tax the system power. and be careful on the Over clocked GPUs. I prefer to just spend the money on faster parts then just overclocked cheaper parts. Overclocked never lasts long enough for me specially the gpus.

Oh BTW where is the optical drive...... and the Floppy j/k now im trolling. but no optical? they are $20

Buying any X series right now is a stupid choice... if you are up to date with all of the tech folks in the know ie linus, jayz2cents etc, they all bring up numerous points of why to not buy these x series cpus!... you get better performance and dollar value out of a K series over these "placeholder " x series cpus!

Give it a watch, he brings up some very legitimate points!

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
OP wants a gaming PC, hence he needs Windows 10. Linux is nice, but drivers for Nvidia cards are bad on Linux compared to their PC counterparts.
>Gaming PC
>Windows 10

T R I G G E R E D

jk, I have yet to see windows 10 offer any sizeable results compared to 7 yet. Either way, he is still going to be using windows if he wants to play many games.

sansnumen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buying any X series right now is a stupid choice... if you are up to date with all of the tech folks in the know ie linus, jayz2cents etc, they all bring up numerous points of why to not buy these x series cpus!... you get better performance and dollar value out of a K series over these "placeholder " x series cpus!

Give it a watch, he brings up some very legitimate points!

Everyone said the same thing about the Nvidia Titan X, and then the 1080Ti happened. Lol.

Reactions: Jarmenti

Jarmenti

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
at least amd w/ threadripper doesn't castrate the lower end cpus w/ pcie lanes etc.. .every cpu supports 64 of them! (cant say the same for any intel cpu) and this is becoming more and more prevalent as people are now using m2 pcie drives and multiple gpu's!.

D

Deleted User

>Gaming PC
>Windows 10

T R I G G E R E D

jk, I have yet to see windows 10 offer any sizeable results compared to 7 yet. Either way, he is still going to be using windows if he wants to play many games.
I'd imagine that one of the reasons people might suggest Windows 10 over 7 is because of the ability to play Xbox One exclusives on 10. Gives people a tiny bit bigger selection of games. I can't really think of any other reasons though.

Jarmenti

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd imagine that one of the reasons people might suggest Windows 10 over 7 is because of the ability to play Xbox One exclusives on 10. Gives people a tiny bit bigger selection of games. I can't really think of any other reasons though.

Totally makes me regret ever buying an xbox one... any pc gamer it is a waste of money since xbox exclusives are now "play anywhere" titles! lol

Reactions: Deleted User

sansnumen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Look he NEEDS Windows 10. Microsoft has already said that Ryzen CPUs will only be supported on Windows 10.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Yup. Microsoft said that any systems running Ryzen and Kaby Lake, or later revisions, will not get updates on Windows 7/8.1. Kind of a dick move, but that's just the way Microsoft is rolling.
Can't expect older software to always support newer hardware.

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Can't expect older software to always support newer hardware.
From research, this is just Microsoft being a dick and scanning hardware. If it finds that you are running Kaby/Ryzen, it won't push the update to you, even if it is a security one. People have gotten around it by using an offline update installer. Just another reason to hate Microsoft and their W10 push.

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't read any of the other posts so idk if anyone mentioned any of this @smileyhead :
1. 1600 and 1600x are almost the same thing. The overclocking capabilities of the 1600 are almost the same as the 1600x. There's almost no need to get 1600x unless you want to spend a little more money
2. You should get faster memory if you decide to go with ryzen. I recommend at least 3000MHz. 3200MHz would be best.

Reactions: Jarmenti

Jarmenti

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i remember watching benchmark vids of people comparing ram speed in the past, an the minimal difference it made.. however RYZEN really benefits from higher speeds!

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
From research, this is just Microsoft being a dick and scanning hardware. If it finds that you are running Kaby/Ryzen, it won't push the update to you, even if it is a security one. People have gotten around it by using an offline update installer. Just another reason to hate Microsoft and their W10 push.
Maybe. Not like Microsoft gains anything from intentionally neglecting such a huge userbase like that. Wondering if there isn't an actual concern with Ryzen and legacy software.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I didn't read any of the other posts so idk if anyone mentioned any of this @smileyhead :
1. 1600 and 1600x are almost the same thing. The overclocking capabilities of the 1600 are almost the same as the 1600x. There's almost no need to get 1600x unless you want to spend a little more money
2. You should get faster memory if you decide to go with ryzen. I recommend at least 3000MHz. 3200MHz would be best.
3000/3200Mhz are overkill, they don't give enough of a performance improvement to justify the price tag.
According to Linus, 2666Mhz RAM is the best value for money, beyond that you hardly see any performance improvements at all, and the money would be better spent on making the rest of the PC better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    That Dell data breach is worse than people probably realize....
    When I worked for Dell we had access to data about military contracts and addresses for high ranking people.
    I personally handled a call from the second highest person at Raytheon. That call bothered me a lot... The guy was nice and smart what bothered me was the way management basically just blew him off instead of going the extra mile to help him.
    In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really the issue could have been solved for like 450 bucks lol
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    sometimes I wonder why anyone would ever buy mega man x legacy collection 2
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all in chronological order, which makes legacy collection 2 worthless
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i want to start singing pirate metal songs and sea shanties if i play sea of thieves
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    find a pirate metal playlist
    +2
    and sing along
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nevermind i just learned swearing is against the rules in sea of thieves

i was about to start singing the song i last put in "what song are you currently listening to" yesterday
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but yeah ig so
    swearing not allowed in a pirate game? what has the world come to
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (here's the song for context)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just add -izle to the end of every curse word, you will be fine.
    +2
    i like alestorm
    +1
    @BigOnYa too many syllables
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same lmao
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    hi, welcome to the Temp!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Welcome to the Underground!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the booty boogie from (once again) the donkey kong country cartoon could also be a good song to sing while playing sea of thieves
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Please insert 25 cents for an additional 30 minutes of talk time.
    +2
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG7fk_DUz5g +1