Metroid: Samus Returns announced for 3DS

image.jpeg

Nintendo isn't out of announcements, even after their Spotlight, it seems, as a new game was revealed during their Treehouse. Metroid: Samus Returns is a reimagining of the 1991 title Metroid II: Return of Samus.

Developer MercurySteam will be handling the game, and are known for developing Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. It'll release on Semptember 15.

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
now they need to remake into 3d metroid fusion,zero mission and super metroid xD.
I think with super metroid and zero mission that would ruin the feel of the game. The charm of exploration comes not from the vast and alien world of prime but from something uniquely 2d for me. The various ways to travel through the map, full of vertical and horizontal passages, shortcuts and secrets wouldnt translate great to 3d where vertical design is far more limited. Although prime has vertical design, it cant do what super metroid or zero mission do. I could see it being great with Fusion though.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I think with super metroid and zero mission that would ruin the feel of the game. The charm of exploration comes not from the vast and alien world of prime but from something uniquely 2d for me. The various ways to travel through the map, full of vertical and horizontal passages, shortcuts and secrets wouldnt translate great to 3d where vertical design is far more limited. Although prime has vertical design, it cant do what super metroid or zero mission do. I could see it being great with Fusion though.
i meant 2.5d like they are doing with samus returns right here i didnt mean full 3d altough i think metroid fusion would work in 3rd person like other m mechanic wise.

Reactions: bi388

Mitch__

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nintendo isn't out of announcements, even after their Spotlight, it seems, as a new game was revealed during their Treehouse. Metroid: Samus Returns is a reimagining of the 1991 title Metroid II: Return of Samus.

Developer MercurySteam will be handling the game, and are known for developing Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. It'll release on Semptember 15.

Been waiting for a new Metroid for a LONG TIME. I'm extremely happy to see 2 NEW Metroid games comming out.

goldensun87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
now they need to remake into 3d metroid fusion,zero mission and super metroid xD.
They should have remade and remastered all 4, and released as a single cartridge collection. Oh wait, they would remake all 4 individually, and THEN release all 4 in a single cartridge. Silly me.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
They should have remade and remastered all 4, and released as a single cartridge collection. Oh wait, they would remake all 4 individually, and THEN release all 4 in a single cartridge. Silly me.
you cant remaster a game from the gba/snes era.

you need to remake them since remaster is just upped resolution wich would be crap for sprite based games.

Reactions: goldensun87

Boured

A Dusk Lycanroc who cares a lot about people.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After 13 years, we hope it was worth the wait.

(Last 2D Metroid game was Zero Mission back in 2004)

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A part of me kinda wished they stayed with pixel art. But then again, I'm kinda glad that Nintendo didn't take the failure of Federation Force as an excuse to say, "look, NOBODY wants a new Metroid game".

DrkBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I would disagree. I think it is a very high quality game, not made to make money, but to please fans. And it did just that.
The ost doesn't belong to metroid games, besides it looks like zero mission so half of the work was already made, I can only see it as a romhack, not enough originality to it, it was made for the sake of nostalgia, I'm not buying that, at the end of the day is not competing against the big companies, so it is way limited like the indie games where apparently everyone praise, better stick with the original game in that case

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AM2R was a great game, but I dont think its up to the quality of the later 3 2d metroid games. If this meets the standard of quality nintendo has had for them post metroid 2 it will beat AM2R for me.

Reactions: DrkBeam

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
The graphics looks like a other m game, it's a great advancement over metroid prime hunters and federation forces, I hope this is aiming to 60 fps, besides it is on 3d, with alien covenant, metroid prime 4 and samus returns it's a great year for a metroid fan, I didn't play am2r because I played metroid 2 colorizer, I didn't want to play it for nostalgia sake, Iirc the ost is out of place for a metroid game, samus returns is not developed by a couple of people, more diversity is great in this case, it is not just a remaster with better graphics
Going back to a side scrolling platformer is an advancement over Hunters? Wot

Hunters is without a doubt the best handheld shooter. Let alone the best portable metroid game.. In the sense of what it accomplished with the insanely limited hardware.

DrkBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain

Hunters is without a doubt the best handheld shooter. Let alone the best portable metroid game.. In the sense of what it accomplished with the insanely limited hardware.
Sorry, I wasn't referring to the game as a whole, I was writing about is an advancement in the graphics department, it was something impressive hunters could do on the ds in that case

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Hunters is the technically most advanced barring federation force, but I would never say its better the gba games and I do think going back to that formula is an advancement over hunters because it shows that nintendo is pushing aside their common trope of making a game in order to display their current gimmick, in that case the touch screen, in order to make a metroid in the spirit of the best games in the series. Not an advancement in technology, but in advancement in their business practices.

mario5555

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it wasn't MercurySteam I'd be excited.
Fingers crossed it's up to the quality of the previous 2D games.

I really enjoyed Castlevania: Mirrors of Fate's gameplay. I think this Metroid remake will be good.

I'm with T-hug on this. As soon as I saw MercurySteam as dev, my mind went to the ****-storm that was Mirrors of Fate, it so badly wanted to be SotN and failed on so many levels and just wasn't very fun to play AT ALL.

I dunno why they just didn't purchase AM2R out right and published that instead, I'm sure fans would have been super happy to play that instead.

I'll keep my eye on it, but I'm not expecting much, especially considering their other handheld attempt. :-/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Creamy milk