In 20 years what gaming techologies we have today will seem unfairly dismissed/held back?

tempy_thinker.png

In general technology it is popular to look back at what people have and what people dismiss, and what could have happened had they not dismissed. For instance the technology for mobile phones existed for many decades before they became an expensive fad for executives, the idea that programmable mobile phones started with the iphone is laughed at but they did at least make it popular such that the common man might thank that, digital cameras probably could have come around years before, 3d printers in many cases were said to have been held back by patents which expired a few years back, and this could go on for a long time. Computer games themselves were once dismissed as a toy fad by many, a matter not helped by the little crash, and in some cases arguably still are. Now technology does move on and make things possible that were impossible before, computers and gaming thereupon being one of the best examples of this, however this is not what will happen if you have a the equivalent of supercomputer today under your TV that can sense your fingers so much as twitch (or indeed read your mind) but what you could have today but will likely only see in 20 years.

In this case I asked some time back for some games to justify wiimotes, and the validity of motion controls in general is often questioned, despite some great efforts from homebrew developers at the time. Maybe you are a fan of the Steam controller and find its demise heartbreaking. In games we often talk about firsts when digging up old history of things, and it is only natural to ask what if that took off at that point. The state of VR and 3D and whether they had once more failed to take hold was an earlier discussion in this thread series. One of the big points of discussion in E3 a few years back was "second screen", which does indeed speak to a fundamental part of gaming (as in quite literally a fundamental part of game theory as it allows different players to have different information) but as few people have any memories of anything there, other than technicalities with online/network games, it tells you what happened to that particular one.
Will any of those be looked back to in 20 years with people asking why could we not have had this back then? Do you have any particular overlooked pieces of hardware, technology, gameplay styles or similar? At the same time do you have anything you enjoy now you could have had said 20 years ago but were not given. Some allowances can be made for expense as well; the inaccuracy of the wiimote means it was never likely to take over, however not all that more investment could get it comparable with some other things.

This is part of a discussion series in which we discuss and ponder things about games, be it individual games, aspects of the game industry, gaming culture, mechanics or gaming concepts. Previously we discussed your best story from free form games .

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I am OK with that being held back, at least pending the companies playing nice and allowing resale, lending, disposal and the like through arbitrary means.
I don't think I will ever understand peoples obsession with forfeiting all rights to their own games they purchase, maybe if we were stuck with only 5ft cartridges and by dropping support you would allow the creation of portable consoles, but there is literally zero real reason to demand physical releases be stopped unless your a major company looking to wipe out the pre-owned market or some nut job green extremists who things any and all physical objects should be banned or made from mushrooms

look I personally dislike digital only games in most cases (unless we are talking about a small indie dev who couldn't afford the initial production investment), but my solution would be "offer both" not BAN DIGITAL AND ONLY MAKE PHYSICAL!!!

Last edited by gamesquest1,

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't think I will ever understand peoples obsession with forfeiting all rights to their own games they purchase, maybe if we were stuck with only 5ft cartridges and by dropping support you would allow the creation of portable consoles, but there is literally zero real reason to demand physical releases be stopped unless your a major company looking to wipe out the pre-owned market or some nut job green extremists who things any and all physical objects should be banned or made from mushrooms

look I personally dislike digital only games in most cases (unless we are talking about a small indie dev who couldn't afford the initial production investment), but my solution would be "offer both" not BAN DIGITAL AND ONLY MAKE PHYSICAL!!!
I personally think this way: if I bought a physical copy at a full price, I will sell that copy as soon as I finished the game so I only paid a portion of the full price. say I bought a game for $60, I may be lucky able to sell it for $40. I paid $20 to enjoy the game. Maybe at some point if I am interested playing that game again, I will buy it very cheap during the end of the gen as the value has diminished greatly (I rarely do this though).

so yeah, $20-30 is the amount that I will accept to pay a digital game in full price since I couldn't sell my digital rights. With the abundance of video games and the diminishing value of physical release 6-12 months after the release, anyone who held their physical game because of emotional attachment is losing the value of their money.

My perspective is purely economic, as I am not as attached with physical game as I used to be. I rarely play video games that I completed twice.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I personally think this way: if I bought a physical copy at a full price, I will sell that copy as soon as I finished the game so I only paid a portion of the full price. say I bought a game for $60, I may be lucky able to sell it for $40. I paid $20 to enjoy the game. Maybe at some point if I am interested playing that game again, I will buy it very cheap during the end of the gen as the value has diminished greatly (I rarely do this though).

so yeah, $20-30 is the amount that I will accept to pay a digital game in full price since I couldn't sell my digital rights. With the abundance of video games and the diminishing value of physical release 6-12 months after the release, anyone who held their physical game because of emotional attachment is losing the value of their money.

My perspective is purely economic, as I am not as attached with physical game as I used to be. I rarely play video games that I completed twice.
yeah, but look at it this way, if physical was never an option the price would never drop to that $20 price point....or at least it would take a lot longer for developers to feel like they have any motivation to decrease the price because they have no used market to compete against, if GTA V is selling used for $20 and they are still expecting $60 digital, then you have the option to buy used and they will feel compelled to reduce the price to encourage new purchases rather than more people being able to enjoy the game from that one initial sale, this is what I will never understand about peoples insistence of scrapping physical because they prefer digital, I feel like a lot of people say so out of spite like "yeah well It wouldn't effect me so I will lol when its digital only" except market forces will dictate that if there is no other route for people to buy the game the publishers will keep those prices as high as possible for as long as possible, so you could forget seeing good titles appearing on super massive discounts as often

for me to accept digital as a replacement to physical, consumers would need to be guaranteed the same rights as they get with physical i.e, the ability to give the game away or sell the game as they see fit, no "only transferable 2 times" or any such BS, just plain old same deal as with physical, but without the physical media....or prices to be significantly reduced to account for the lack of resaleability

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Reactions: eriol33

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
for me to accept digital as a replacement to physical, consumers would need to be guaranteed the same rights as they get with physical i.e, the ability to give the game away or sell the game as they see fit, no "only transferable 2 times" or any such BS, just plain old same deal as with physical, but without the physical media....or prices to be significantly reduced to account for the lack of resaleability
When you buy a phsyical game, you do not have copyright of the software. You can just sell its physical form which happens to display the software. How would you give your rights away since you do not have any to begin with? I get your point and I also think digital games need to be cheaper, but it just makes little sense to me.

MockyLock

Trophies
XP
Country
France
there last days, i am playing Donkey Kong Country, real game on real hardware.
A game that i have since it was released. I considered it is fully mine because i bought it, and can use it when i want.
How will we play the actual games in 20 years, when they need DRM and online check and any fucking user control that will disappear in a few years ?

i want to buy games like i buy a car.
Actually, you don't buy but rent games, for the time they will let you play.

Last edited by MockyLock,

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i want to buy games like i buy a car.
Actually, you don't buy but rent games, for the time they will let you play.

You might need to, pun intended, update your analogies there

Granted that is probably closer to some of the software locked hardware (oscilloscopes are usually the main case study there) than straight software but close enough that my eye is on them.

It is also far from the worst Tesla story ("we don't want that on the market just yet, have a killswich" being one of the more fun ones)

MockyLock

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You might need to, pun intended, update your analogies there

Granted that is probably closer to some of the software locked hardware (oscilloscopes are usually the main case study there) than straight software but close enough that my eye is on them.

It is also far from the worst Tesla story ("we don't want that on the market just yet, have a killswich" being one of the more fun ones)

Tesla aren't car like i wanted for my exemple.
Tesla aren't car.
Tesla are driving Softwares
Softwares are digitals
Digitals have DRM and user check
F*ck digital

:D

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
ugly games don't mean bad games
besides, i can list many good looking 3d games from that gen at the top of my head

Well, I can't.
The best 3D at the time was some of the N64 3D, since it stuck to a cartoony style, instead of tryharding for realism.
PS1 3D was terrible overall (especially FF7, what atrocious graphics. Thank God we have a remake), but barely passable (still fugly) in a few games.
I'd like to know what you'd consider good looking.

As for the ongoing physical x digital debacle: Piracy makes digital releases viable.
If they ever take out the servers, I'll just (rightfully) pirate the game I already bought, with no weight on my conscience.
I'll never buy a digital game without a cracked/pirated alternative available.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Well, I can't.
The best 3D at the time was some of the N64 3D, since it stuck to a cartoony style, instead of tryharding for realism.
PS1 3D was terrible overall (especially FF7, what atrocious graphics. Thank God we have a remake), but barely passable (still fugly) in a few games.

As for the ongoing physical x digital debacle: Piracy makes digital releases viable.
If they ever take out the servers, I'll just (rightfully) pirate the game I already bought, with no weight on my conscience.

Spyro and Crash Bandicot looked really good for the time they were made.

Legend of mana still looks amazing.

Honestly the Playstation had a whole lot of good looking games.

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Spyro and Crash Bandicot looked really good for the time they were made.

Legend of mana still looks amazing.

Honestly the Playstation had a whole lot of good looking games.

Crash is passable, LoM is 2D Sprites. I was talking specifically about 3D.

And as I also said, the 3D for that time worked when they weren't trying to go for a realistic style (FF7,8 are an example of bad and ok-ish 3D graphics), but worked well for cartoony graphics, like the N64.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I can't.

Crash trilogy (also crash team racing on ps1), Spyro trilogy, Banjo Kazooie, Conker's bad fur day, Klonoa, daytona usa (at least the arcade version) and scud race (looked like an early 360 game back in 1995...) also diddy kong racing, doom, and quake
it's not about the amount of polygons or colors on screen... as long as it's pleasing to the eyes its fine to me- and all of these games are pleasing to my eyes lol

YugamiSekai

Mr. Picross
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure the Xbox One controller doesn't even have gyro support, but the PS4 controller definitely does but it goes unused in like 98% of PS4 games. Switch is definitely MUCH better, but I've still played games on it that just bafflingly lack gyro support, or use the gyro support incorrectly (Fortnite and La Noire come to mind).
What's wrong with the motion controls in Fortnite? They seem pretty usable to me

ack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably some of those obscure methods of anti piracy and making a game rentable, like the gamecube having special tiny disks, and that one company that made dvds that would degrade after a certain amount of time of being exposed to the air.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo