Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The WLAN Mini-Card's MAC:
MACconnect01.gif

How it behaves with MACycle (connects to the internet but MAC doesn't change):
MACconnect02.gif

How it behaves with nzone.exe (MAC changes, says it can connect to the internet but there is no actual connection):
MACconnect03.gif

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Can somebody recommend me a USB WiFi Adapter that's guaranteed to work with the VMWare method? I own a TP-Link TL-W822N V2 and it used to work on the very first VMWare image duke_srg posted on here but I seem to have deleted it from my hard drive for some reason and the new image just doesn't work for me anymore. It recognizes the adapter and shoes the correct driver when I use lsmod | grep mac80211 but it doesn't start the hotspot. The furthest I get is this screen:
It really annoys me since it used to work flawlessly...

Try this fix and respond please
http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-have-a-homemade-streetpass-relay.352645/page-275#post-5414190

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What if I also want to prevent system updates and block access to Nintendo update servers alongside that?

I want to use a Windows 8.1 notebook for my homepass relay, and I need to access the internet via Wifi. I have no access to the router. My N3DS is on FW 9.0.0. I think I already worked out most of it myself. So, this is what I do:

Get a compatible (second) Wifi Adapter -> no problem (the TP-LINK TL-WN725N is a good, cheap option)
Setup this (second) adapter to act as a Wifi Hotspot, while the other (first) adapter provides the internet connection -> no problem, I have done this before
Spoof the MAC adress of the second adapter -> I'll use MACycle for that, seems easy enough
Protect myself from 3DS updates -> I'll need some help on that

I could just use some of the other methods described in various guides here, such as using OpenDNS or a private proxy, but that would make things more complicated and thus more error prone. So, can I just block Nintendo updates via the Windows hosts.ini? Or wouldn't that work to block stuff for the 3DS? Any better method? Also, a list of hosts to block (while still retaining Streetpass functionality) would be great.

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of

DeaGrimm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
(Ok, it says "D-Link DWA-125 Wireless 150 USB Adapter(rev.A2)", my driver is from 2011.)
So I got some new drivers aaaand ... I had a dog and his name was BINGO!

Uninstall the D-link Driver Crap from your PC please, try installing this:
http://download.wireless-driver.com/driver/Ralink/USB(RT2870)/IS_AP_STA_RT2870_W7-3.2.4.0_Free.exe
Should give you this nifty tool :3

I installed the Ralink driver and it shows up as D-Link DWA (da F?) but it has these extra options that didn't show up with D-Link's originally provided driver.
Activated or deactivated?

D-Link.gif

Syphos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I installed the Ralink driver and it shows up as D-Link DWA (da F?) but it has these extra options that didn't show up with D-Link's originally provided driver.
Activated or deactivated?

none of those option will do.
I can't read portugese, but I can figure out what each of them means.

Keep that values as they are. Did you find a new symbol in your taskbar, though? (If you didn't uncheck it during setup)
Otherwise, go to C:\Program Files\Ralink\ (unknown folder name) \SoftAP\ and start "ApUi.exe"

After that it will start or popup in Client mode,so you have to change that by right-clicking the symbol in the tray and
choose something like "Switch to AP-Mode".
It will reload into AccessPoint-Mode (and the icon will turn into an "AP+" shape), you can set the SSID stuff there.

Did you choose the right adapter on MACycle? you have to set the D-link Device.
But try to get Ap-mode to work.

DeaGrimm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This means.. MACshift does work, but MACycle not? :wtf:
yay

Yup.
nzone.exe changes MAC -> doesn't "talk" w/ internet
MACycle has internet access even with softAP -> doesn't change the MAC
macshit works -> not automated.

Dunno why though.

Whatever.

I might just code something in C to run macshit automatically. Won't be pretty but will still be better than doing it by hand.

Syphos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yup.
nzone.exe changes MAC -> doesn't "talk" w/ internet
MACycle has internet access even with softAP -> doesn't change the MAC
macshit works -> not automated.

Dunno why though.

Whatever.

I might just code something in C to run macshit automatically. Won't be pretty but will still be better than doing it by hand.

I am doing the same in VB, but someone did that already, look:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/homepass-chaldrons-mac-cycler-for-windows.352935/

Only downside: The Adapter you want to change the MAC on has to be renamed AGAIN!!! *annoyed*
It's just a simple Batch file with hardcoded MAC inside. it uses macshit as the swapping engine. :lol:

apoptygma

Trophies
XP
Country
Chipset matches my Wifi.
Are you a windows user? Can you get me the USB/VID&PID pair for it from the Devicemanager?

I'm talking about the linux VM image, it doesn't contain the ralink firmware does it? It works fine on another VM if I run say debian 7.8.0 and install the ralink-firmware package

Syphos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Why don't you just run it natively from your host OS - thats why I was asking about your used OS :D

If it's a Ralink, why deal with a VM anyway?
If WIndows detects it as an USB\VID_148F&PID_5370, it will work.
Generic 5370 device, SoftAP allowed.

But I guess the people who made the image should update it.
To rule out problems.

apoptygma

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes it's a USB\VID_148F&PID_5370 I just wanted to do it all in a VM that I can shut down when I don't the point to be active etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Still a few hours left until I can go home and play some more Stellar Blade :'( +1