Votes: 292 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

apoptygma

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah...been trying to find/figure out a MAC changing script myself. I got a new router (the D-Link DIR632, because it is highly recommended for Homepassing) and I have yet to find any scripts that actually do what they're supposed to. I'm going to say it...Duke's script seems way too complicated for what needs to be done. Anytime I try and run it I always get errors regarding it not being able to find certain web addresses or files or something. Is it really that hard to make a simple program that grabs a random value from XX to XX and stick it onto the end of the typical MAC address that all these homepass addresses use? Why are we needing to access an online address for a list of MAC addresses that follow a very basic numerical order? All I want is a working script that changes the MAC address randomly within the range of homepass addresses, that I can set in the cron jobs to run however frequently I want. (no accessing lists online, no altering of the cron jobs based on pointless & unexplained calculations, something that I can save as a custom script and just RUN IT)

I'm just tired of manually changing MAC addresses every 15 minutes. So very, very tired.
Did you end up getting this working? I am considering buying this router

Koldur

Virtual Boy Ambassador
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, nzone.exe wasn't working for me before the update so I'll do the update.

Well, I am not using nzone anyways, just using a router with openWRT and a simple random script, works more reliably than using the nzone which is relying in a remote server from someone else.

DeaGrimm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, I am not using nzone anyways, just using a router with openWRT and a simple random script, works more reliably than using the nzone which is relying in a remote server from someone else.

I think I'll dig out the good old Linksys-Cisco WRT54GL and figure out how to put the cable-TV's router as a buffer (?, bridge ?) .

apoptygma

Trophies
XP
Country
There seems to be an underlying problem with the linux script in that it will give an error "xxxxx not depends mac80211" (where xxxx is the wifi driver in use) for many different system configurations which are compatible (ie. support mac-spoofing)

Syphos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I hope I can breed another child for Tomodachi soon, since I decided to keep the first one because she's cute (aww) .
Since I had to leave my Homepass Wifi-dongle at my Aunts house (they own a lot of 3DS) , I needed a new one. Should arrive today (hopefully)
(Screw the D-link DWL-G122, it's crap. )

Me want to Homepass again :cry: NAO!

I think I'll dig out the good old Linksys-Cisco WRT54GL and figure out how to put the cable-TV's router as a buffer (?, bridge ?) .

You can cascade or tree connect them, but this will result in more trouble (you'd have 2 DHCP in your LAN).
However, if you can setup the WRT54GL in a way it uses the Cable-router's IP range + that gateway, it should work.
Like a bridge. (If this thing can bridge somehow, you may try this)

DeaGrimm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You can cascade or tree connect them, but this will result in more trouble (you'd have 2 DHCP in your LAN).
However, if you can setup the WRT54GL in a way it uses the Cable-router's IP range + that gateway, it should work.
Like a bridge. (If this thing can bridge somehow, you may try this)

I dunno if Sagemcom F@st 3184 has/ can run in openWRT (whatever that is).
But 1st I'll try a USB D-link DWA-125 and the MVware Player.

hellgiver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am getting errors when trying to access http://nintendozone.no-ip.org/ which breaks my DD-WRT install since it pulls down the BASE16 from that site every time it exhausts the file.

I decided I don't need some website when the BASE16 never change so I adjusted the script I was running to always know the BASE16.

Cronjob is the same except it doesn;t need the BASE16 at the end,
Code:
*/15 * * * * root /tmp/nzone

Startup script is different. I know the multiline is ugly but I hit the max characters for one line so I just split it up.
Code:
echo -e "#!/bin/sh\nM=\"4E:53:50:4F:4F:4\"\nNEWMACS=\"\${M}0\\\n\${M}1\\\n\${M}2\\\n\${M}3\\\n\${M}4\\\n\${M}5\\\n\${M}6\\\n\${M}7\\\n\${M}8\\\n\${M}9\\\n\${M}A\\\n\${M}B\\\n\${M}C\\\n\${M}D\\\n\${M}E\\\n\${M}F\"" >/tmp/nzone
echo -e "MACS=/tmp/nzone.macs\nSPDELAY=480\nMACNUM=0\n[ -f \$MACS ] && MACNUM=\$(grep -v x \$MACS | wc -l) && DELAY=\$(((\$(date +%s)-\$(date -r \$MACS +%s))/60))" >>/tmp/nzone
echo -e "[ \$MACNUM = 0 ] && echo -e \"\$NEWMACS\" > \$MACS && MACNUM=\$(cat \$MACS | wc -l)\n[ -z \$DELAY ] && DELAY=\$SPDELAY\n[ \$MACNUM = 0 ] && sed -ri \"s/x(.*)/\\\1/\" \$MACS && MACNUM=\$(grep -v x \$MACS | wc -l)" >>/tmp/nzone
echo -e "MACTOTAL=\$(cat \$MACS | wc -l)\n[ \$MACNUM = 0 ] || ([ \$MACTOTAL -lt \$SPDELAY ] && [ \$DELAY -lt \$((\$SPDELAY/\$MACTOTAL)) ]) && exit\nRANDOM=\$(head /dev/urandom | hexdump -d | head -n 1 | cut -c 11-15 | sed -r \"s/0*(.*)/\\\1/\")" >>/tmp/nzone
echo -e "MAC=\$(grep -v x \$MACS | head -n \$((\$RANDOM%\${MACNUM}+1)) | tail -n 1)\nsed -ri s/\$MAC/x\$MAC/ \$MACS\nifconfig ath0 down\nsed -ri s/bssid=.*/bssid=\$MAC/ /tmp/ath0_hostap.conf" >>/tmp/nzone
echo -e "while ! hostapd -B -P /var/run/ath0_hostapd.pid /tmp/ath0_hostap.conf; do\n\tPID=\$(ps | grep /var/run/ath0_hostapd.pid | grep -v grep | sed 's/^ *//' | cut -d ' ' -f 1)" >>/tmp/nzone
echo -e "\t[ ! -z \$PID ] && kill \$PID\n\tsleep 1\ndone\nstopservice cron\nstartservice cron" >>/tmp/nzone
chmod 777 /tmp/nzone

All credit for the script goes to Duke_srg, I just modified it to not need his webserver (this is the second time it has gone down for me, last time was the DDNS change from dyndns to no-ip).

Soluna

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm, my Homepass started randomly working again today... conveniently after I downloaded/installed some Windows updates. I wonder if the previous updates from two weeks ago did indeed broke the nzone method for me, and a recent one fixed it. Last time, there were too many updates to consider, but only two this time: KB2976978 and KB3048778. Or, perhaps for some reason it was the latest Windows Defender definition update? Oh well, I'm just glad that it works again!

Syphos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I dunno if Sagemcom F@st 3184 has/ can run in openWRT (whatever that is).
But 1st I'll try a USB D-link DWA-125 and the MVware Player.

According to https://wikidevi.com/wiki/D-Link_DWA-125_rev_A3 it has an Ralink RT5370 chipset.
Was there a CD included and installed a program, whch sits in your systemtray (beside the clock) ?
If this is the Ralink Utility, try right-click on the tray icon and choose "Switch to AP". Your Wifi will become a hardware-AP afterwards.
This will ditch the hostednetwork which gave you trouble. Use the RALINK utility to setup the AP, make it open.
Your old Wifi will be needed for internetaccess and share that connection with the one from that DWA Wifi-dongle.

Your 3DS should get a streetpass, as soon the MAC was switched. Use MACycle for this.
In the settings of MAcycle, set the connection of the DWA as "network adapter" (so it knows where to switch MAC) and uncheck "use hostednetwork".
Hit Start on the first Tab.

Your 3DS should connect to your DWA after a couple of seconds and windows routes it through your old Wifi into the internet. :D
if that fails, set the IP of the DWA to 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.137.1 but change nothing else.

You can so a connection test with the 3DS, but be sure to delete that connection if it was a success.

Liberty

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I own this TL-WN823N adapter with the Realtek RTL8192CU-chipset.

1. Changing my MAC under Windows 8.1 doesn't work at all. Why?
2. Linux-VM doesn't give me any Miis. I tried those fixes and can see a Hotspot with my smartphone/tablet. I can even see the changed MACs. But my New 3DS XL ignores it.
3. My Windows-7-VM with nzone.exe (BASE16/256) works from time to time, but I rarely get more than 3-4 Miis.

-Can anyone please explain this to me?
-Why isn't Windows 8.1 working at all?
-Why is my 3DS ignoring the Linux-VM-hotspots?
-Why is nzon.exe partly working, but not as good as it did with my O3DS XL?

Back with my Old 3DS XL I could easily scoop up 10 Miis within 20 minutes. Now I get like 3 Miis in 2 hours, if any.

Syphos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I own this TL-WN823N adapter with the Realtek RTL8192CU-chipset.

1. Changing my MAC under Windows 8.1 doesn't work at all. Why?
2. Linux-VM doesn't give me any Miis. I tried those fixes and can see a Hotspot with my smartphone/tablet. I can even see the changed MACs. But my New 3DS XL ignores it.
3. My Windows-7-VM with nzone.exe (BASE16/256) works from time to time, but I rarely get more than 3-4 Miis.

Your Wifi does SoftAP, which is probably Virtual Wifi/hostednetwork xD

1. Did you restart the adapter after you changed the MAC? Did you verify this adress being written to registry?
Does the driver even allow this (i don't see a reason why not)?

2. Can't help with that. I am a N3DS owner, too.

3. Huh? 3-4 Mii in 2 hours, thats bad. Should be 3-6 Mii per Pass.

Liberty

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Your Wifi does SoftAP, which is probably Virtual Wifi/hostednetwork xD

1. Did you restart the adapter after you changed the MAC? Did you verify this adress being written to registry?
Does the driver even allow this (i don't see a reason why not)?

2. Can't help with that. I am a N3DS owner, too.

3. Huh? 3-4 Mii in 2 hours, thats bad. Should be 3-6 Mii per Pass.
1. I don't change my MAC manually. These tools usually do it automatically. And yes, the driver allows this. At least in Windows 7 it worked in the past. Never did in Windows 8.1 though.
3. Exactly. But I dunno what changed, apart from buying the N3DS.

Syphos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I had the same problem until I uninstalled VirtualBox.
Try uninstalling it and try to change the MAC again.
You can install it later again, if it doesn't work.

Liberty

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I had the same problem until I uninstalled VirtualBox. Try uninstalling it and try to change the MAC again. You can install it later again, if it doesn't work.
I use VMWare and neither in Windows 8.1 nor Windows 7 I have an option to change the MAC in the preference settings. But on Windows 7 at least this tool worked. And I think it still does, but I don't get any Miis.

€dit: Reading this:
http://lizardsystems.com/wiki/change_mac_address/faq/change_mac_address_in_windows_7
http://blog.technitium.com/2011/05/tmac-issue-with-wireless-network.html

I just re-installed my network driver and changing my MAC does indeed still works.

So I have no clue why nzone.exe doesn't do anything.

Maccheck.cmd under Windows 8 tells me my network adapter isn't suitable, which is just not true.

DeaGrimm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
According to https://wikidevi.com/wiki/D-Link_DWA-125_rev_A3 it has an Ralink RT5370 chipset.
It's rev. A2...

"Single chip Ralink, probably an RT3070 (1T1R printed on the board)"

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/D-Link_DWA-125_rev_A2

The driver includes a program that has a "wifi manager":

setup06.gif

Syphos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
omg, I have completely totally forgotten about D-Link... They always include these weird branded programs...
cute censorship by the way ^^
I don't think these is an option for "setup Accesspoint " or "Switch into AP"?
Bleh, this topic turns into "hey dude, lets check sum Network cards and the magic they put in, so Homepass won't work for you". :glare:

Reactions: DeaGrimm

Syphos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks. ^^

I wonder why microsoft virtual wifi miniport adapter won't work with MACcycle though.

Since the MAC gets copied over from the hardware, you'd have to MAC switch the hardware,
which switches the Virtual Wifi in turn after the hardware - the network connection - was disabled and
re-enabled again (which also turns the Virtual one off and back on ) .
The only thing needed is the hostednetwork restarted after both MAC changed.
Dunno if MACycle can do that, it should do. "use hostednetwork" has to be checked for that.

=============================================================

So, i took my time to gather things to know about your hardware.

1. In your PC/Laptop is a Dell wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-card (which you use to access the internet)
2. You have some Sagemcom router, which is your cable-router into the internet I guess.
3. You own a seperate Wifi called "D-link DWA-125" we can use Homepass on.. somehow..

Fact: nzone worked on your side, but not many streetpasses.
This in turn means, your 3DS could connect to the hostednetwork.

Lets do it different.

Reset all MACs first.
We will keep the "Dell wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-card" shared, so you won't lose internet every time.
stop the hostednetwork by issuing netsh wlan stop hostednetwork
this should remove all Virtual Wifi-adapters.
Plug the D-link DWA-125 in.
Start hostednetwork again by issuing netsh wlan start hostednetwork
If my thought goes straight, windows will (should? ) create 2 new Virtual Wifi, one for each Wifi.
issue ipconfig /all and look for an Virtual Wifi adapter with a MAC 1 off of the "D-link DWA-125"
(If the D-link DWA-125 has 00:22:33:44:55:66, that virtual one should have 00:22:33:44:55:67 or 00:22:33:44:55:65)
Read up a couple lines and it should say the actual "visible" name of that adapter, you will need that now.
I attached a picture where to look for.

Go into your networksettings of Windows, there where you can edit IP and so (dunno the name for it right now)
Disable the adapter, which isn't tied to the D-link DWA-125 by MAC.
The "ConsoleNintendo3DS" one is probably tied to the "Dell wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-card" by its MAC.
I think this has to be disabled. Go figure :P

You should have 2 active Wifi and 1 Virtual Wifi now.
Rename the old connection into "Dummy" and the new Virtual one to "ConsoleNintendo3DS"
stop the hostednetwork by issuing netsh wlan stop hostednetwork
Start hostednetwork again by issuing netsh wlan start hostednetwork
(We don't want hostednetwork use the old connection in any case )
The "Dummy" shouldn't have an SSID and be disabled, except the new "ConsoleNintendo3DS" connection tied to the D-link DWA.
Share the internet connection from the "Dell wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-card" to "ConsoleNintendo3DS"

Bootup nzone with BASE16. it should do some magic behind the scenes - like the friggin password on that connection.
And keep your fingers crossed - should take a couple of seconds or 1 minute, it depends.

Attachments

• determine_network.png
    determine_network.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 351
Reactions: DeaGrimm

Syphos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Last minute troubleshoot:

Do not connect the D-link DWA-125 to any wireless in your home, it has to stay free.**
Remove any IPv4 setting from the "Dummy" connection to prevent IP clashes.
If the virtual Wifi won't change MAC, force it like this:
Rename the connection from the D-link DWA-125 to "ConsoleNintendo3DS" and from the Virtual Wifi "ConsoleNintendo3DS" to "VirtualConsoleNintendo3DS"
This should force nzone to switch the D-link DWA-125 MAC , which switches the Virtual Wifi as well.**

**This may be the reason why your single Wifi Homepass is broken.
It disconnected after a switch, hostednetwork barged in, the 3DS connected but the PC was offline and as soon internet was back up,
the 3DS couldn't connect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Link the Twink?