Official hakchi2 - NES Mini very simple pimp tool

Liriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Someone should write a decent windows 7/10 snestool to edit headers/convert format/convert ntsc<->pal and vica versa/ etc...
[EDIT]
I know there's SFC/SNES Rom Utility, but it has less options then snestool
(Yes, most don't need all the extra, but i still use a copier :) on my snes)

snestool.png

for waht need you the tool?

patching between ntsc - Pal? you need a ips file for it. a spezifik or a lorom or hirom patch.
remove header?
split file?

with ips files you can make everything

corsasri

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have managed to mess up. I downloaded the new version of hakchi2 but deleted the original and my kernel for my snes has gone with it. i do have a copy of the back up but cant figure out how to get hakchi2 to reinstall it to my snes.

Baggins

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remove region lock

I don't think its a 'region lock', but rather compatibility issue with the way emulator works, and differences in hardware between NTSC and PAL TV technology. They run at different speeds, and had different hardware requirements back in the day.

PPlays

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way to take a save file from the wii or 3ds versions of games (.sav) and convert it to be used with the SNES Classic? I figured it may work since they're the same type of games as the Virtual Console.

the_gamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't think its a 'region lock', but rather compatibility issue with the way emulator works, and differences in hardware between NTSC and PAL TV technology. They run at different speeds, and had different hardware requirements back in the day.
Both exists and you seem to not to really know a lot about it.

Reactions: WiiUBricker

PPlays

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have managed to mess up. I downloaded the new version of hakchi2 but deleted the original and my kernel for my snes has gone with it. i do have a copy of the back up but cant figure out how to get hakchi2 to reinstall it to my snes.
Create a "dump" folder in the same location as the other hakchi folders. Name the original dump to dump_snes if it isn't already.

SWChris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Cluster @KMFDManic I just discovered that there is a 2016 version of SNES9x available. It actually loads some rom hacks that 1.53 doesn't like the Level Design Contest #9 collab hack over on smwcentral. I'm not up on the history of things here, so what are the chances of including it as a module? There is a Linux library of some sort on page 2 of the forum I linked below. I assume that's what you need.

Download link:
http://www.snes9x.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23752

Last edited by SWChris,

corsasri

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Create a "dump" folder in the same location as the other hakchi folders. Name the original dump to dump_snes if it isn't already.
I looked for a folder named dump after hakchi said to manually remove the folder after i attempted to dump the kernel again. but i could not find any other folder named dump.

Baggins

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I looked back over the threads... saw people posting about it...

The message that was mentioned is the message that pops up when trying to put a PAL game into a NTSC system. It was more of a hardware protection thing (prevent PAL game from burning out an NTSC display, since they display/funciton differently).

In addition games with SA1 chip could be used for regional lockout. But that was about it. The most famous of those games would be Super Mario RPG.

The Japanese cartridges and SNES cartridges used hardware regional locking, but that just requires removing a couple of tabs to make the games playable on a US SNES, but won't work the other direction since SNES box carts wont fit into the Super Famicom slots.

If Nintendo is including some kind new 'region' locking on this SNES mini, that seems pretty bizarre. I notice some posters claiming that it does a few pages back though. But it seems like a lot of work to modify something that is pretty irrelevant on modern tvs using HDMI.

Of course further more these videos and other websites discussing the three versions of the system, also point out that Japanese Super Famicom games won't work on a European SNES or vice versa. But also because of that PAL / NTSC protection despite both having the same shaped carts.

Last edited by Baggins,

PPlays

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I looked for a folder named dump after hakchi said to manually remove the folder after i attempted to dump the kernel again. but i could not find any other folder named dump.
You said you have a copy of your original kernel correct? if you create that folder and put your old dump in there, you will not have to redump it.

Baggins

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Cluster @KMFDManic I just discovered that there is a 2016 version of SNES9x available. It actually loads some rom hacks that 1.53 doesn't like the Level Design Contest #9 collab hack over on smwcentral. I'm not up on the history of things here, so what are the chances of including it as a module? There is a Linux library of some sort on page 2 of the forum I linked below. I assume that's what you need.

Download link:
http://www.snes9x.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23752

Is that the Liberetto-Snes9x modeul that's included as an extra download for Pi3 ARM based computers?

Its worth a try, but I don't know if SNES's has enough computing power to handle it? It has A9 chips and Pi3 has A53 model chips.

Edit...
No... it can't be the same one as the Lr-SNESX module is based on the 1.55 core.

Last edited by Baggins,

corsasri

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You said you have a copy of your original kernel correct? if you create that folder and put your old dump in there, you will not have to redump it.
I do have a copy of the dump saved on my pc somewhere safe. but if i do chose to redump the kernel hakchi says to delete Hakchi/dump. its amost as if kakchi knows where its located but the folder dose not.

PPlays

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do have a copy of the dump saved on my pc somewhere safe. but if i do chose to redump the kernel hakchi says to delete Hakchi/dump. its amost as if kakchi knows where its located but the folder dose not.

You won't be able to redump it because you have the custom kernel from the old version still installed. You're getting that message because you created the dump folder. Since you have the original dump you do not need to do that step again.

corsasri

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You won't be able to redump it because you have the custom kernel from the old version still installed. You're getting that message because you created the dump folder. Since you have the original dump you do not need to do that step again.
The thing is i have not created any folder named dump yet. Thats why i`m confused.
Is there a way to restore my backed up original kernel to my snes. The original is in my cloud storage.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I thought that it didn't matter what version we made the dumped kernel with as long as we did that and re-flashed the kernel with the latest hackchi?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto