Official hakchi2 - NES Mini very simple pimp tool

SWChris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is that the Liberetto-Snes9x modeul that's included as an extra download for Pi3 ARM based computers?

Its worth a try, but I don't know if SNES's has enough computing power to handle it? It has A9 chips and Pi3 has A53 model chips.

Edit...
No... it can't be the same one as the Lr-SNESX module is based on the 1.55 core.

Forgive my unfamiliarity. This world is still new to me. So the core included with Cluster's retroarch package is based on Snes9x v1.55? I don't even know where I could download that for Windows. That aside, that's good news for me and my romhacks, assuming I understood you correctly. :) I thought v1.53 was the last version to "officially" release from the original dev and that therefore that was all there was.

Reactions: SG6000

Baggins

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Game Boy Mini to come up ! Rgs.

I believe I'll pass... I mean why would I want to play an miniature Gameboy ;) It's already tiny... and GB/GBA Everdrives offer better compatibility on original hardware.

Gameboy Micro was too 'small'.

Now if it was based on a mini 'Super Gameboy' maybe I'd be interested.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Forgive my unfamiliarity. This world is still new to me. So the core included with Cluster's retroarch package is based on Snes9x v1.55? I don't even know where I could download that for Windows. That aside, that's good news for me and my romhacks, assuming I understood you correctly. :) I thought v1.53 was the last version to "officially" release from the original dev and that therefore that was all there was.

No last I heard it was SNES9X 2005 or the SNES9X 2010 cores. Those are 1.52 and 1.53? Randomizer knows the details. Pretty much same cores that run on most pis.

Last edited by Baggins,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe I'll pass... I mean why would I want to play an miniature Gameboy ;) It's already tiny... and GB/GBA Everdrives offer better compatibility on original hardware.

No last I heard it was SNES9X 2005 or the SNES9X 2010 cores. Those are 1.52 and 1.53? Randomizer knows the details. Pretty much same cores that run on most pis.

2002 is based off of 1.36, I want to say. 2005 is based off of 1.43, and lastly, 2010 is based off of 1.52. The naming is confusing to be sure. Snes9x is based off 1.54.1, which I highly doubt would be able to run on the SNESC hardware full speed. :unsure: 2010 has the best sound core of the ones that can run, the others have bad sound emulation.

RetroVortex

Trophies
XP
Country
2002 is based off of 1.36, I want to say. 2005 is based off of 1.43, and lastly, 2010 is based off of 1.52. The naming is confusing to be sure. Snes9x is based off 1.54.1, which I highly doubt would be able to run on the SNESC hardware full speed. :unsure: 2010 has the best sound core of the ones that can run, the others have bad sound emulation.

Lets put it this way:
Star Fox and Star Fox 2 already run really bad on the 2010 core on the SNES classic.

The built in emulator, despite its flaws, is very efficient at running these two games, so much so that it can turbo boost them.

Overclokcing the games in the Snes9x2010 core only makes them run worse. Trust me on that.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lets put it this way:
Star Fox and Star Fox 2 already run really bad on the 2010 core on the SNES classic.

The built in emulator, despite its flaws, is very efficient at running these two games, so much so that it can turbo boost them.

Overclokcing the games in the Snes9x2010 core only makes them run worse. Trust me on that.

Because it's optimized, and Snes9x 2010 is more demanding and needs to be more optimized, it has a more accurate sound core than the SnesC (which is why 2010 can play Earthworm Jim 2 and SnesC can't without missing sound effects). Blargg's S-SMP is what's slowing 2010 down with certain games.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

evilvoice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure if they did a Game Boy Mini it'd have the same hardware as the NES and SNES. Maybe a better emulator and maybe the ability to play all Game Boy games (GB, GBC, GBA). It'd be even cooler if it could do NDS but I don't think that will happen. If it does have the same hardware and is portable, we might be able to add RetroArch through hakchi. I'd definitely buy one for that.

Reactions: artemus3

PPlays

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought that it didn't matter what version we made the dumped kernel with as long as we did that and re-flashed the kernel with the latest hackchi?
That's correct.

The thing is i have not created any folder named dump yet. Thats why i`m confused.
Is there a way to restore my backed up original kernel to my snes. The original is in my cloud storage.
Are you able to screenshot the error? and can you screenshot the folder where your hakchi program is please.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Hackcell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Someone should write a decent windows 7/10 snestool to edit headers/convert format/convert ntsc<->pal and vica versa/ etc...

[EDIT]
I know there's SFC/SNES Rom Utility, but it has less options then snestool
(Yes, most don't need all the extra, but i still use a copier :) on my snes)

snestool.png

That's old school! I remember using this during the 90s with SNES9x.

Fire-WSP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blargg's S-SMP is what's slowing 2010 down with certain games.

Well than they should try to include the one from the 1.54 version.
Snes9x 1.54
- Changed the S-SMP core module to one written by byuu. (byuu, BearOso)
This has the effect of increased accuracy, fewer
speed hacks, but also regresses a few speed-hack games.

In general, if you look for a perfect emulator than somebody needs to make one.
It is is one thing to take an older version of Snes9x because of speed and just compile it.
This works to some extend but leaves all the problems of the old version intact.
Maybe it is true that an newer version like the 1.54.1 is a bit much for the SNESMC but certain bugfixes and several new features propably could still be included into a SNESMC specific version.
The SFX emulation on the 2010 version of Snes9X for example is buggy.

Fire-WSP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I asked for a BSNES core myself but got told it is to much for the SNESMC.
Could be true but the BSNES performance core should get a try anyway.

I just checked the sourcecode of Snes9X2010.
Super FX x86 assembler emulator code
(c) Copyright 1998 - 2003 _Demo_,
pagefault,
zsKnight

Super FX C emulator code
(c) Copyright 1997 - 1999 Ivar,
Gary Henderson,
John Weidman

Bummer, no wonder it is that buggy. This is really old and from the beginning days of SNES Emulation.
Back then it was mor guessing work.
Also in general, SNES9X2010 is based on the 1.52 version but already includes patchecs and fixes from later versions. So they did already what I said above.
Propably there are more backports possible.

MartU

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
what about a bsnes core? I'm reading that, that might be the only way to get SGB emulation?

The better emulation on a powerful device is not always the best emulation on any device. The cores used now fit the SNES Mini hardware well. I am guessing that bsnes might be too much for that little SNES

Last edited by MartU,

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Read this thread for some pages. All SNES mini, even the Europe one is an NTSC device, so run NTSC n
No offense, but maybe YOU should read more pages or at least a few posts below my post that you quoted because if you did, you would know that I have long since resolved the issue and it had nothing to do with using PAL ROMs. In addition to that, the US and EU SNES mini may use NTSC ROMs, but not the same kernel. There is in fact a region check in both SNES minis when you attempt to run out-of-region ROMs, but it's disabled for all included ROMs.

Last edited by WiiUBricker,

MartU

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
No offense, but maybe YOU should read more pages or at least a few posts below my post that you quoted because if you did, you would know that I have long since resolved the issue and it had nothing to do with using PAL ROMs. In addition to that, the US and EU SNES mini may use NTSC ROMs, but not the same kernel. There is in fact a region check in both SNES minis when you attempt to run out-of-region ROMs, but it's disabled for all included ROMs.
That is not what I typed, I don't know how but the quote got mixed up with something else mate.

Only the last sentence is typed by me.

EDIT: edited that post for you. Still got no clue where that came from. I only was reacting on the emu cores...

Last edited by MartU,

supermist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The better emulation on a powerful device is not always the best emulation on any device. The cores used now fit the SNES Mini hardware well. I am guessing that bsnes might be too much for that little SNES

Unfortunate. I may have to give up on SGB style emulation for gb/gbc games that supported it.

Black_Dahlia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey :)
I successfully installed Retroarch on my Snes Mini. I tried it with some Gameboy roms and it works perfectly.
But when i try to play the German version of Secret of Mana the game starts but then this message shows up "this game pak is not designed for your super famicom or super NES". Is there any solution for this?! I don´t want to play SoM in english :(

Baggins

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm still trying to figure out why they put region 'blocking' in the emulator, where the original roms didn't actually have 'regions' other than NTSC or PAL, other than a few SA1 chipped games. There were also some chips used for 'copy-protection' measures.

The only other form of region blocking on the SNES was done through cartridge shapes, and pegs to prevent Japanese carts form fitting into the US systems.

All those old "Will not work on a Super Famicom and North American SNES" messages were meant to warn about the danger of using PAL on an NTSC system which could potentially cause damage to the system/tv.

In the past it was American SNES could run Japanese, after a simple modification to the system (remove pegs), but not PAL. PAL couldn't run either system. Japan couldn't run US carts because of the Carts shapes, unless the carts were extremely modified, or replaced, or some aftermarket adapter to fit between them (which didn't always work).

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
If Nintendo is including some kind new 'region' locking on this SNES mini, that seems pretty bizarre. I notice some posters claiming that it does a few pages back though. But it seems like a lot of work to modify something that is pretty irrelevant on modern tvs using HDMI.
Every Most untouched SNES ROMs have region checks built in. Those region checks are nothing new and exist since the existence of the SNES. You can patch them out using a tool or do it manually with a hex editor. There are instructions for that on the internet. Those region checks are the reason why you can't play NTSC ROMs on an EU SNES Mini without removing the region checks first. PAL ROMs converted to NTSC won't run on an EU SNES Mini if they don't have the region checks patched out. If an NTSC ROM downloaded off the internet works with the EU SNES mini, then that mean that ROM already is region free patched or is a ROM without region checks.

Last edited by WiiUBricker,

Baggins

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4