Official hakchi2 - NES Mini very simple pimp tool

ByteThis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a problem:

I have been modding my friends' NESCE (3 units until today) using separated hakchi2 folders on my laptop. Now I'm modding the 4th one. Dumping kernels and installing mods were successfully done, but when entering synchronization (where you don't need FEL mode), it wouldn't proceed, just stopped at "Waiting for NES Mini...". I reinstalled Zadig but the problem remained.
How could it be?

How new is the mini ? Did they just recently buy it ? The reason I am asking is some pages back..someone said they had a new one...Version 2...and they couldnt use hakchi 2.16 or 2.17..I believe he said that 2.14 and 2.15 work. They had the same message(waiting for nes mini) even though they had a Version 1 and hakchi worked ... telling us that the mini was from the new batch they just produced and released from their final production had a halt trying to use hakchi versions past 2.15.

Last edited by ByteThis,

maande80

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Are you using a fresh hakchi for it? Or reusing same one

Always the fresh one, the one I extracted directly from Cluster's Github, put it on a separate folder, then copy and paste my usual (please confirm if these were okay) Games, User_Mods, and Folder Images folders into it.

How new is the mini ? Did they just recently buy it ? The reason I am asking is some pages back..someone said they had a new one...Version 2...and they couldnt use hakchi 2.16 or 2.17..I believe he said that 2.14 and 2.15 work. They had the same message(waiting for nes mini) even though they had a Version 1 and hakchi worked ... telling us that the mini was from the new batch they just produced and released from their final production had a halt trying to use hakchi versions past 2.15.

For this current NESCE, it's an old model, my friend bought it at the same time with me, from the same seller.

-----

One more thing, I forget, which one is more recommended for N64 game, Glupen or Mupen?

Last edited by maande80,

youngtune27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Always the fresh one, the one I extracted directly from Cluster's Github, put it on a separate folder, then copy and paste my usual (please confirm if these were okay) Games, User_Mods, and Folder Images folders into it.

For this current NESCE, it's an old model, my friend bought it at the same time with me, from the same seller.

-----

One more thing, I forget, which one is more recommended for N64 game, Glupen or Mupen?
Use glupen. It works better.

Reactions: maande80

maande80

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Use glupen. It works better.

Have you tried Perfect Dark and Resident Evil 2? If yes, do you have any issues with those games?

----

My problem has been solved now. I made another attempt with an entirely new folder and started with dumping and flashing kernels first. I think my mistake was because after I dumped the kernel, I continued with installing mods and flashed later.

Reactions: ByteThis

youngtune27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried Perfect Dark and Resident Evil 2? If yes, do you have any issues with those games?

----

My problem has been solved now. I made another attempt with an entirely new folder and started with dumping and flashing kernels first. I think my mistake was because after I dumped the kernel, I continued with installing mods and flashed later.
Ya I think you dumped kernel and didn't flash custom kernel. I did that before lol. It needs be in order before you do anything else. No I haven't hose 2 games yet.

KMFDManic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I swear, I'd add $200 to a bounty for an experienced assembly coder to extract the NESCE NTSC CRT filter code from kachikachi and add it to a custom Retroarch build for the mini so we could finally have the option for the _exact_ same output from RA.

This is, of course, a pipedream. :/

Rodney

Haha, do I get my $200 reward:) I already know how to do this!

rhester72

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha, do I get my $200 reward:) I already know how to do this!

Really? Because this has been one of the most-asked-for items on the NESCE since Retroarch first became available.

The filter used by kachikachi is not achievable in Retroarch with either filters or shaders - it's highly-custom code written by Nintendo that's never been seen before and ironically doesn't use the GPU at all.

If you _truly_ have a solution for this, with the *exact same* filter used in kachikachi and fully usable in Retroarch with no performance penalty - yes, I will absolutely make good on my pledge.

Rodney

KMFDManic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really? Because this has been one of the most-asked-for items on the NESCE since Retroarch first became available.

The filter used by kachikachi is not achievable in Retroarch with either filters or shaders - it's highly-custom code written by Nintendo that's never been seen before and ironically doesn't use the GPU at all.

If you _truly_ have a solution for this, with the *exact same* filter used in kachikachi and fully usable in Retroarch with no performance penalty - yes, I will absolutely make good on my pledge.

Rodney

We are talking about the CRT Filter that you can select with the default Mini NES and its original 30 games, before you even mod the system? If so, private message me on here or on Reddit. And, I am not an asshole. I wouldn't allow you to pay me 200 dollars! In fact, hakchi2, itself, blocks the ability for this filter to be used. You might be surprised at how it is done. You should easily be advanced enough to be able to handle it:) I typically avoid getting people involved with this, since it really is something, that if done wrong, can temporarily screw your Mini up. But, I think you will be ok.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Since installing 2.17, i can no longer save games. Except for the original 30. Any ideas?

I see a lot of people saying they can't save. I haven't had any personal issues saving, as before. Have you tried uninstalling Retroarch, then reinstalling it? I exit games and it allows me to save, pretty much every time..just so long as I have been in the game for at least several seconds to the point of it being able to be started. And, powering off, and coming back on, saves still exist. SNES, GENESIS, NES, etc work fine. Arcade, I wouldn't rely on. N64, if improprer shut down occurs, saves can disappear. I recommend picking another game, after saving, then quitting to main GUI, before shutting down. I have yet to lose a save. I feel bad when people invest 20+ hours in a game, then lose the saves. I also use save state manager, and keep any saves backed up, so I could easily throw them back on the Mini. Before this, I used clovershell commands to push and pull saves. But, save state manager is so much more manageable for the masses.

Beylie

Trophies
XP
Country
^ Also no issues saving, even arcade games work fine for me. I read on another forum that RetroArch has a MAME 0.180 core, but it seems their site is down. What's the odds of getting that compatible for our humble NESCEs? There are some awesome games that unfortunately just won't work with the current cores. Eg. The Outfoxies.

hossbags2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does anyone know how to make a nes rom run in pal only mode without changing settings for the entire console. Is there a command line-argument to add to do this at all to have a pal rom run in 50hz

maande80

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
It's very unfortunate that Resident Evil 2 is not playable with Glupen64. The visual is barely seen, then after a while, you'll be returned back to UI. I then continued with Perfect Dark, tested it for only a couple of minutes, and the game run well.

Does anyone here have a sort of list of N64 games that work on NESCE?

Last edited by maande80,
Reactions: ArcNoculus

TooMuchPower

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would love to get the N64 version of NBA Hangtime to work. In retroarch it gets horribly slow right after tip off :(

Anyone out there able to play N64 version of NBA Hangtime on the NESC?

Last edited by TooMuchPower,
Reactions: keithelmcity

Heapa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
We are talking about the CRT Filter that you can select with the default Mini NES and its original 30 games, before you even mod the system? If so, private message me on here or on Reddit. And, I am not an asshole. I wouldn't allow you to pay me 200 dollars! In fact, hakchi2, itself, blocks the ability for this filter to be used. You might be surprised at how it is done. You should easily be advanced enough to be able to handle it:) I typically avoid getting people involved with this, since it really is something, that if done wrong, can temporarily screw your Mini up. But, I think you will be ok.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I see a lot of people saying they can't save. I haven't had any personal issues saving, as before. Have you tried uninstalling Retroarch, then reinstalling it? I exit games and it allows me to save, pretty much every time..just so long as I have been in the game for at least several seconds to the point of it being able to be started. And, powering off, and coming back on, saves still exist. SNES, GENESIS, NES, etc work fine. Arcade, I wouldn't rely on. N64, if improprer shut down occurs, saves can disappear. I recommend picking another game, after saving, then quitting to main GUI, before shutting down. I have yet to lose a save. I feel bad when people invest 20+ hours in a game, then lose the saves. I also use save state manager, and keep any saves backed up, so I could easily throw them back on the Mini. Before this, I used clovershell commands to push and pull saves. But, save state manager is so much more manageable for the masses.

Reinstalled Retroarch and all working fine now. Thanks for the advice!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying