Official hakchi2 - NES Mini very simple pimp tool

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. So this is super weird. I configure 2.13, do some minor changes (Folder Management images etc.) I go to sync. Acts like normal. After first batch is done, message "Too many roms" comes up. Normal as per what I've seen in the past. Red light does not go out, but the "sound" that is made when you plug a USB device into the computer goes off. So I say, let's try something. I click "ok." I then press the power button on the NES and the light goes out. I hit reset, press power, and let go of reset button. Begins syncing again. I do this 3 more times until the sync is complete.
If the red light won't go away avoid to continue, you will mess files inside folders; if you check more deeply you will find games inside incorrect folders and some other weird stuff like that. Let's wait for a bugfix in the meantime trying to give cluster his time ;)

Reactions: DR1001

Hellequin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
@Cluster or anybody.

In the FAQ, we can read
"Q: Can I brick my NES Mini?

A: It’s pretty hard to brick it. You always can flash original kernel back (via menu). Even if your flashing process was terminated for some reason you just can do it again. But flash memory can handle only 100,000 erase cycles for any sector typical."

I don't really understand how memory is handled. Is the number of times we save in-game or from the shell, or even when we reset a game (as a screenshot is created) theoreticaly limited by this? Should I restrain on reseting/saving if I want my console to be working as intented in many years?

Also, is there a risk to clutter the console with unused files by erasing games which have saves, or reinstalling things, and will this issue be resolved in a future update?

Last edited by Hellequin,

RHINO78

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the red light won't go away avoid to continue, you will mess files inside folders; if you check more deeply you will find games inside incorrect folders and some other weird stuff like that. Let's wait for a bugfix in the meantime trying to give cluster his time ;)

Seems to be a common bug. Happens to me too and screws up my folder system. I only have 240 games total mostly NES, 10 Sega, 10 atari, 10 snes, and 3 n64. I got around it by not putting the n64 games on. Sigh. I feel like as many times as ive flashed my NES it's just not very happy anymore.

Reactions: ArcNoculus

878en6vEZbrnk4GC8XKi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If anybody could answer a couple of questions, I'd be really grateful, it;s nothing complicated.
What are the button combinations uses to enter the RetroArch menu while playing NES games in v2.13? I don't seem to be able to do it anymore.

Secondly, I'm about to add the games to my library again due to hakchi now supporting compression. I know that that when you add games hakchi will check in the ART folder for a matching image, do I put the images directly into the ART folder or can I put them inside separate folders inside the ART folder? The reason I ask this is because there are duplicate names across different platforms and I can't have an image for SNES ROMs and also NES ROMs in that ART folder if they both share the same name.

My idea was to do this...
ART > NES > images for nes games
ART > SNES > images for snes games

Would that work or do they have to directly into ART?

Thanks.:)

bigjdoberman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am having the same issue...I actually flashed original kernal back then flashed custom kernal... worked then
Seems to be a common bug. Happens to me too and screws up my folder system. I only have 240 games total mostly NES, 10 Sega, 10 atari, 10 snes, and 3 n64. I got around it by not putting the n64 games on. Sigh. I feel like as many times as ive flashed my NES it's just not very happy anymore.

Its happened to me also.. and once again its only happened once I added my n64 games too. That has to be the problem.

Bigjdoberman

Reactions: RHINO78

AlwaysFriday

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this new update doesn't flash for me, after the first flash the nes turn on normally

Are your folders in alphabetical order? Had the same problem all day after I moved the folder named SNES after the folder named NES kernnel flashes like the diamonds on my wrist! LOL

Baggins

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to force individual games on an individual basis to use the Retroarch fxeux emulator rather than built in emulator? For the games that are broken or have glitched graphics?

If I use the global command to force all games to use retroarch how do you disable the global command if you don't want it anymore?

ArcNoculus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who has had success in compressing their ROMs with 2.13? If you have, are your non-NES save states working? Please let us know because right now it seems many are having issues with LED not going off or incorrect sync.

baconcow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@Cluster or anybody.

In the FAQ, we can read
"Q: Can I brick my NES Mini?

A: It’s pretty hard to brick it. You always can flash original kernel back (via menu). Even if your flashing process was terminated for some reason you just can do it again. But flash memory can handle only 100,000 erase cycles for any sector typical."

I don't really understand how memory is handled. Is the number of times we save in-game or from the shell, or even when we reset a game (as a screenshot is created) theoreticaly limited by this? Should I restrain on reseting/saving if I want my console to be working as intented in many years?

Also, is there a risk to clutter the console with unused files by erasing games which have saves, or reinstalling things, and will this issue be resolved in a future update?

Obtaining this access to the NES Classic was brought up in the in the most recent patch, 2.13. Work is being done towards being able to do these things. Reading the full update notes reveals the answer to this question. Here is a snippet of interest, from them:

2.13 Release

And some other very good news. I discovered a way to access NES Mini's shell and memory directly without any soldering. It was the main problem: with current version of hakchi2 we can't read anything from NES Mini, we can only create script for writing and execute it. That's why hakchi2 has not any ability to check which games are installed, how many space left, backup save-states, upload only new games (without reuploading everything). It is surprising that we have not noticed this method before. So feature versions will be much better. But it requires a lot of work.

Last edited by baconcow,
Reactions: Hellequin

Rob911

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
As far as I know we have still to deal with the 30-40 MB limit for folders. My experience was that subfolders don't count as a folder, so only the root folder of a tree counts. This means if you have one folder for SNES and subfolders you have to take care that SNES doesn't have more than this MB limit. Otherwise the LED won't go off after the first "too much Roms" message. If you face it you can start from the beginning it is not worth to do the whole procedure.

stojan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Is this ok to enable scanlines? what about the number of passes, agressivity? Can this be determined?

#!/bin/sh
exec retroarch-clover snes9x2010 "$@" --ra-allow-crt --enable-crt-scanlines

kaz321123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Kobe46

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

AlwaysFriday

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know we have still to deal with the 30-40 MB limit for folders. My experience was that subfolders don't count as a folder, so only the root folder of a tree counts. This means if you have one folder for SNES and subfolders you have to take care that SNES doesn't have more than this MB limit. Otherwise the LED won't go off after the first "too much Roms" message. If you face it you can start from the beginning it is not worth to do the whole procedure.

I was able to flash 120 mb of SNES games and 178 mb of NES games without an issue but only after I put the folders in alphabetical order..... I know it sounds silly but that fixed all my issues with https://github.com/ClusterM/hakchi2/commit/6707ec1b550bd596c4791812b67fe83af67051d8

before would not flash like this but would after I flipped them in alphabetical order!
After.jpg
Flashing like the Diamonds!.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

kaz321123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It should be listed in the extra cores folder.

I don't see the extra cores folder.

I see:

a folder: cores
a zip file: CloverApp
a zip file: libretro_core_template
and a file: retroarch.hmod

In the cores folder there are 11 files

In the other release.zip I see the same, but it has a zip file: bios_template, and the cores has 13 files in it.

no folder called: 'extra cores'.

Lakerfanalways

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just want to remind everyone that extra cores can be found here:
https://github.com/pcm720/retroarch-clover/releases/latest
RetroArch module and basic cores are the same between both versions.

Hey there..so since now this has been updated do I have to remove the modules from the user_mods folder and insert these new ones or do I just overwrite the ones that I have previously..if I have to do that do I also have to go to kernel/uninstall and do this from scratch again or is that not necessary

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: see ya