GameTrailers Closes After 13 Years

The video game trailer website GameTrailers has announced via their official twitter account that they are closing down after 13 years:

Launched in 2002, the website was the go-to place for many video game amateurs who stick to the website especially during big video game events. The website's termination comes after its purchase by Defy Media back in 2014 and now the news came in (below is GameTrailers' Associate Editor, Ben Moore):

Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 10.37.09.png

:arrow: Keep updated on GameTrailers' official Twitter account.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
It feels like a shame, even though I've hardly ever used the site... it's "always been there" (in internet time), so it's sad to see it die.

Oh well :)

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sad news, but when they shut down PopFiction, which was their last series worth actually watching, I knew it was only a matter of time.
That was actually the only thing I've watched there, and I went back and it seemed completely different - instead of "is this myth real" I got "did you know Super Mario Galaxy has a Pikmin planet" and I couldn't find any of the old ones I remembered. Is there an archive of any of those?

Nyteshade714

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That was actually the only thing I've watched there, and I went back and it seemed completely different - instead of "is this myth real" I got "did you know Super Mario Galaxy has a Pikmin planet" and I couldn't find any of the old ones I remembered. Is there an archive of any of those?

There's a playlist on GT's Youtube Channel here

Reactions: CeeDee

JFTS

Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
It really is a shame. I actually remember the time when you had to go to websites like Gametrailers to watch game videos, because there were hardly any on Youtube. The GT Retrospectives and the Timeline Series are still some of the best produced!

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never been much of a trailer kind of person, so I've never heard of these folks till now. It sounds like it's an ending to an era that passed a little while ago, though.

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What!? But--But pop fiction! That was the best series on that show! Now what am I going to do with my life...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I've never been much of a trailer kind of person, so I've never heard of these folks till now. It sounds like it's an ending to an era that passed a little while ago, though.
The name is pretty deceiving. It wasn't normally game trailers as the name states. It was usually shows about games and secrets they had. It was almost like a 'Watch Mojo' kind of thing. Probably a really bad example lol

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It wasn't just trailers, I really enjoyed watching GameTrailers' video game reviews. They were really well done and the narrator guy who did them was top notch. Always put a smile on my face when I heard the opening review music and the narration.

In 2006 before YouTube really hit it's stride GT was an excellent place to check out well produced game reviews. When a new game came out I remember being excited to check out if GT put out a new review.

Last edited by DigitalDeviant,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill