Palworld gets a teaser for a fanmade Pokemon mod, Nintendo takes it down in mere hours

maxresdefault.jpg

With the overwhelmingly positive reception that Palworld has gotten the past few couple of days, the surge of mods for the game was more than expected, and of course, given the obvious comparisons between Palworld and Pokemon floating around, a Pokemon mod for Palworld was only a matter of time.

ToastedShoes teased a brand new Pokemon mod for Palworld on his Twitter account on January 22nd, 2024, with the mod showcasing a player mod that changes the main character to Ash Ketchum of the Pokemon anime series, as well as changing the "Pal" creatures from Palworld into actual Pokemon 3D models. However, it didn't take long for Nintendo to catch up to this.

Just mere hours after the Twitter teaser post was made, Nintendo sent a full DMCA takedown to both the modder's YouTube video, and also to the teaser tweet made by him. Not only that, but it seems that other people that are even sharing images of the mod in any capacity are also getting takedowns from NIntendo on Twitter.

It's not surprising that Nintendo would go this hard after a mod for their now main competitor in a creature-centric franchise, but it's important to note that the mod itself by ToastedShoes wasn't available for free, and given the current action by Nintendo, it's unlikely the mod will ever see the light of day, or at least until someone else decides to do apart from ToastedShoes.

:arrow: Archive.org link for the mod showcase video
:arrow: Archive.org link for the original tweet by ToastedShoes

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
wanted a good competitor? we already had YKW but then you retards whined that it's a pkmn ripoff.

guess a pkmn ripoff is good when it's AI/LLM garbo made by an edgelord lol
I'm not sure if you're purposely missing the point here, but for the average person they likely wouldn't be able to tell the difference between these examples, and that's what actually matters, and those who already know that don't really care.

Last edited by NinStar,

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
With the overwhelmingly positive reception that Palworld has gotten the past few couple of days, the surge of mods for the game was more than expected, and of course, given the obvious comparisons between Palworld and Pokemon floating around, a Pokemon mod for Palworld was only a matter of time.

ToastedShoes teased a brand new Pokemon mod for Palworld on his Twitter account on January 22nd, 2024, with the mod showcasing a player mod that changes the main character to Ash Ketchum of the Pokemon anime series, as well as changing the "Pal" creatures from Palworld into actual Pokemon 3D models. However, it didn't take long for Nintendo to catch up to this.

Just mere hours after the Twitter teaser post was made, Nintendo sent a full DMCA takedown to both the modder's YouTube video, and also to the teaser tweet made by him. Not only that, but it seems that other people that are even sharing images of the mod in any capacity are also getting takedowns from NIntendo on Twitter.

It's not surprising that Nintendo would go this hard after a mod for their now main competitor in a creature-centric franchise, but it's important to note that the mod itself by ToastedShoes wasn't available for free, and given the current action by Nintendo, it's unlikely the mod will ever see the light of day, or at least until someone else decides to do apart from ToastedShoes.

:arrow: Archive.org link for the mod showcase video
:arrow: Archive.org link for the original tweet by ToastedShoes

Not taken down, but blocked in many countries. You just have to use a VPN to watch it.

Any mirror of the "teaser"? Since it seems to have been taken down meanwhile.
Its in the thread under Archive link for video.
Or you could use this: https://web.archive.org/web/2oe_/http://wayback-fakeurl.archive.org/yt/AbsF5R7Zf0E

Last edited by SylverReZ,

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The mod that got DMCA'd. ToastedShoes.
As expected. Wait until Nintendo DMCA's the Palworld game. But then again, it'd be too late, as mirrors exist pretty much everywhere and its not so hard to find.

• Sad
Reactions: eternal

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As expected. Wait until Nintendo DMCA's the Palworld game. But then again, it'd be too late, as mirrors exist pretty much everywhere and its not so hard to find.
The difference here is that the mod presumably isn't ready yet.
If the mod was released with the trailer and then got taken down, it would still be available through user uploads and such (kind of like what happened with Pokemon Prism)
But because he only released a teaser, now he can't release it without Nintendo knowing it's him and taking legal action.

therabbitofthenorth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah sooooo not surprised.
What did you THINK would happen? Seriously. Idiot.
I just find the hubris amazing (assuming This wasn’t just a publicity stunt/false flag). Nintendo has literally sent “Nintendo Ninjas” to stalk people, and has a history of abusing DMCA both legally and illegally (albeit in this case it can definitely be argued this is a legal use, as much as I hate to say it). I can only assume they felt Nintendo would understand their “grind” and that they would avoid it, somehow.

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just find the hubris amazing (assuming This wasn’t just a publicity stunt/false flag). Nintendo has literally sent “Nintendo Ninjas” to stalk people, and has a history of abusing DMCA both legally and illegally (albeit in this case it can definitely be argued this is a legal use, as much as I hate to say it). I can only assume they felt Nintendo would understand their “grind” and that they would avoid it, somehow.
If that was the case then this person hasn't read up on Nintendo's history with DMCA claims.
They have zero problems filing against people who have worked tirelessly for months to create nonprofit passion projects using primarily unique assets.
And this person has a paywall, presumably hasn't been working on it for long (a few days to a week, at most) and is directly and shamelessly using copyrighted property in a game that Nintendo undoubtably considers a serious threat to their own IP.
No, Nintendo is not going to ignore something like this.

JaNDeRPeiCH

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
damn I want an actually good 3d world hd pokemon game so bad after palworld.
however i'd also settle for something like this

If those assets from the first pokemon gb expired similar to the fucking Mickey Mouse Steamboat i bet nintendo will cry a lot like a Britney Spears fan thanks to the Trolls of Internet xD. They deserved that for threat so bad to their fanbase.

Last edited by JaNDeRPeiCH,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
wanted a good competitor? we already had YKW but then you retards whined that it's a pkmn ripoff.
It's not so much that people wanted another turn-based competitor to Pokemon, there were already more than a handful of those on Steam. People wanted "mainline" Pokemon games to evolve beyond that limitation, and while Legends Arceus felt like one step forward, Scarlet/Violet felt like ten steps back. Palworld is a lot closer to what I would've liked to have seen in a Legends Arceus sequel.

Last edited by Xzi,

BlusterBong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

guess a pkmn ripoff is good when it's AI/LLM garbo made by an edgelord lol
I'd like to point out that Yo-Kai Watch was the closest any pokeclone (including Palworld, which if you actually played it, you'd know it's more akin to ARK with Pokemon instead of Dinos) has actually threatened GameFreak/The Pokemon Company, and yet it didn't stop them from releasing SM/USUM in the way they did, let alone SwSh, especially in Japan where most of the Yo-Kai games stayed for several years before being localized closer to the end of the 3DS' lifespan.

Last edited by BlusterBong,
Reactions: Sapphire01
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If the mod was free, I'd say fuck retardendo, but yeah, in this case the guy was technically selling it by putting it under their patreon (even if it wasn't ready yet, I guess), so, they were in the right to take it down this time.

And @MHKN I see you're quite the salty poketard, so kindly take your pikachu-shaped dildo, stick it up your behind and just consoom what daddy GF gives you like a good brainless baby, thank you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto