This week in gaming: Nov. 15

p-changecolor.gif
It's time once again, for a collection of the biggest gaming related news that's happened in the past two weeks. You know the drill by now, so let's get right to it! The news covers announcements from November 2-15, while the release calendar goes from today up to November 29.

Gaming Industry

SNES-PlayStation.jpg

Former Sony Computer Entertainment Executive Talks About The Failed Nintendo Playstation

Denfaminicogamer, a Japanese publication, recently had an interview with Shigeo Maruyama, the former CEO of Sony Music, and the chairman of Sony Computer Entertainment of Japan during the 1990s. The interview reveals some previously unknown facts about the failed partnership with Nintendo to create the Nintendo Playstation. According to a translation summary, Maruyama was only interested in helping with the Super Nintendo and adding a CD-Drive, because he wanted consumers to be able to listen to CDs on their TVs, but Nintendo was very adamant about using cartridges, so both companies decided the Nintendo Playstation would utilize both components. Ken Kutaragi, who was in charge of making the sound chip for the console, stirred up some drama when Nintendo canceled the announcement of the console with no warning, causing Sony JP's CEO at the time to warily back out of the deal as well. Maruyama claims that Kutaragi helped push the two apart, resulting in Sony going off to create their own video game system. Linked below is the Japanese untranslated interview.

:arrow: SOURCE

Vivendi Continues Push to Take Over Ubisoft

The slow conquest of Ubisoft by Vivendi doesn't seem to be stopping any time soon, as the larger company continues to acquire more shares of the French games publisher. Vivendi now owns 24% of Ubisoft, (Up from 22%) and 21.296% of voting rights. This isn't good news for Ubisoft's CEO, Yves Guillemont, as businesses usually begin negotiations when a shareholder has 30+% ownership of a company's shares.

Assorted News

Pokemon Go Datamining Reveals Files for Gen 2 Pokemon
Despite having lost a chunk of its playerbase since the game's gigantic launch earlier this year, Pokemon Go still retains many players, and Niantic has been keeping up with frequent updates. The latest of which has been datamined to show that the game now has code for creatures from the second generation of Pokemon. The Pokedex from #152-251 is included into the .APK file of the game, and it's expected that Niantic will issue a huge update in order to fully implement these new additions sometime soon.

:arrow:
SOURCE

Watch_Dogs 2 Reveals Trailer for Unreleased Ubisoft Title

Within Ubisoft's latest release, Watch_Dogs 2, is a hidden trailer for a Sci-fi themed video game. Emblazoned upon the video is a "Ubisoft Confidential: E3 Conf_Video_v03 watermark, suggesting that this was to be an E3 trailer. Nothing else is known about this 50 second mystery teaser.

SEGA Japan is Looking to Potentially Revive Some of its Older Franchises
The Japanese branch of SEGA has put out a survey, asking fans which classic SEGA series they'd like to see get revived. Bigger titles like Sonic the Hedgehog, Persona, Hatsune Miku all are scattered about the list, despite having very recent releases, while other games like Phantasy Star, Sakura Wars, Panzer Dragoon, and more are available to choose from. The winners of the survey will be revealed on a 48 hour live stream called Segafesu.

Steam Store Gets Overhaul
The biggest source of digital PC games, Steam, has gotten a update to it's storefront. The revamp now makes it easier for people to navigate titles and add preferences to help buyers find game recommendations. There's also more search filters so that finding specific games is now more simple.

keraka-henshin-res.jpg

Klonoa is Getting a Movie
A Japanese-based animation studio named Henshin will be partnering with Namco Bandai to create an animated film. Of what series, you may ask? Well it's none other than Klonoa, a platforming series that launched on the Sony Playstation back in 1997. Company founder Rob Pereyda and character designer Hitoshi Ariga will be working on the movie. Production on the project hasn't started yet, and there's no set release date on when the movie could be finished.

Klonoa is a late 90s video game icon, representing that special sense of hope and adventure we all collectively once had. We are honored to be entrusted by Bandai Namco with this franchise, and will work hard to do justice to the characters

Sony Lists Games That Will Be Getting PS4 Pro Patches
Sony has written up an official list that details which games will be supported by the Playstation 4 Pro's better hardware. There will be a little over 40 titles getting patches as the PS4 Pro launches, with more to be added at a later date. Here are some of the games on the list, and you can get a full list at the link below.

• Mafia III
  • Mantis Burn Racing
  • Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
  • NBA 2K17
  • Neon Chrome
  • Paragon
  • PlayStation VR Worlds
  • Ratchet & Clank
  • Rez Infinite
  • Rigs Mechanized Combat League
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider

A Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Game Might Release in 2017
While the Sega Genesis is 27 years old, that fact isn't stopping indie developer Big Evil Corporation from holding a crowdfunding campaign for their game called Tanglewood. According to the Kickstarter, the game will take inspiration from classic platformers such as Another World, Aladdin, and Lion King. Should it get funded, Tanglewood would release on all regions of the Sega Genesis, as as Windows, Mac, and Linux. There's even a beta that's playable.

Minecraft Gets a 1.11 Update

The ever popular Minecraft was recently updated to version 1.11, otherwise known as the Exploration Update. There's all sorts of new additions, including Ocean Monuments, Woodland Mansions, and Llamas! There's even a sort of backpack, in the form of the Shulker Box. You can see all the updates in the video linked above.

91RueEt9sML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Dragon Ball Fusions Gets Release Date Bump in North America
It's good news for American Dragon Ball fans, as Bandai Namco's upcoming Dragon Ball Fusions is releasing a bit earlier than previously expected. The game was initially set to launch on December 13, and has now been moved to November 22nd. The release date is still set for December in Europe, however.

:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Press Inbox

Left 4 Dead 2 Beta Campaign Released As Add-On
Turtle Rock Studios, the team behind the zombie-filled FPS game, Left 4 Dead 2, has released an unfinished campaign for the game, years after the game has been out. Titled "Dam It", the developers say that this would have bridged "Dead Air" and "Blood Harvest" in the official release, together. There's numerous issues with this unfinished map, though. If you're a fan of the game, or want to check it out, the add-on is available in the link below.

Releasing as an add-on means that our code changes are not included. Missing code means that the following features are not working:

• Fire, smoke and explosions do not trigger panic events in the hangars.
  • Zombies do not crawl all the time in the orchard.
  • Farm house mob does not spawn in the far side of the woods.
  • Covered bridge does not collapse with explosions.
  • Burned forest area is missing wandering fires.

Overwatch Getting Free Weekend from Nov. 18-21
The critically-acclaimed new game from Blizzard will be getting a free weekend starting on the 18th, in order to entice new players. If you haven't tried the game, this will be a good chance to see what all the fuss is about. The free weekend is available on PC, PS4, and XBO, with the latter two requiring Playstation Plus and Xbox Live Gold in order to play.

The free period will begin on November 18 at 11 a.m. PT (18:00 UTC) and end on November 21 at 4:00 p.m. PT (23:00 UTC) in all gameplay regions.

Ubisoft Offers Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon for Free
Ubisoft's 30th anniversary celebration continues, with Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon being added to the list of games that the company has given away on a monthly basis. There's no catch to this free offer, unless uPlay is a deal-breaker for you. Grab it at the link below!

Fan Projects

Jerusalem.2.jpg

Modder Creates His Own Assassin's Creed Remaster
While Assassin's Creed recently got 3 remasters in the form of the Ezio Collection, the first game in the series was noticeably left out. Luckily for fans, one modder named "Hecumarine" has released a texture pack that extensively revamps Assassin's Creed 1's graphics. They've included a new shader, imported textures from Assassin's Creed Revelations, doubled the texture resolutions, and added improvements to how NPCs look as well. It definitely brings a well needed upgrade to the 9 year old game.

Modding Team Creates XCOM 2 Mutliplayer Mod
"Team Dragonpunk" has released a co-op mod for XCOM 2, which allows 2 players to complete missions together within the game. While the maximum amount of players only supports 2 at this time, the team is looking into getting the game's developer to approve their code for up to 12 player online co-op. According to the Steam page for the mod, it took Team Dragonpunk 10 months to create this!

Niche Game Annoucements

Square Enix Announces New Final Fantasy Mobile Game for Japan
Yet another Final Fantasy title is in development for iOS and Android. But this specific one might deserve some extra attention, as the director of Chrono Trigger, Takahashi Tokita, will be the lead director of this mobile game. He also mentions that the game, titled Final Fantasy Legends II, will "be a celebration of what makes up Final Fantasy".

Fighting Game, "Fantasy Strike" Announced for PS4

Developer Sirlin Games will be bringing their latest game, named Fantasy Strike, to Playstation 4. The creator of the game, David Sirlin, is a veteran in the fighting game scene, and was the lead designer on Street Fighter HD Remix. Sirlin claims that Fantasy Strike will be an easy-to-play game that will help bring fighting games to a more casual audience, while still being able to be played at competitive tournaments. The game will have one-button inputs for every attack, a super meter, and no crouching to defend. there's no set release date, but the game will be featured at Sony's Playstation Experience on December 3rd.

Classic Visual Novel "Desire" Getting an HD Remake
Weekly Famitsu has revealed that a Visual Novel titled Desire, will be getting a remake in the form of Desire: Remaster Edition. The game will be launching on PS Vita and PC on April 27th in Japan, and will be getting brand new scenes and upscaled artwork.

Birthdays: the Beginning Gets Release Date
Yasuhiro Wada, most known for creating the Bokujo Monogatari (Harvest Moon) franchise, has created a new game titled Birthdays: the Beginning, which is said to take a little inspiration from his past games. NIS America has announced that the game will be coming to the West on March 7 for North America, and March 10th for Europe.

Simply put: the happiness of creating, discovering, completing. I really want people to have a brand new experience [in Birthdays] that is unique from anything before this game. What's really important to me is creating a chemistry where people can experience the three things I mentioned above with a brand new game mechanic.

Trailers

Persona 5: Ryuji

The Last Guardian

Horizon Zero Dawn

Pokemon Sun and Moon Z Moves

Release Calendar

November 18
Killing Floor 2 (PC, PS4)
Star Wars Battlefront Ultimate Edition (PS4, XBO)
Pokemon Sun and Moon (3DS)
Planet Coaster (PC)
November 19
Yesterday Origins (PC, PS4, XBO)

November 22
Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (PC, PS4, XBO, Wii U)
The Little Acre (PS4, XBO, PC)
Amnesia Collection (PS4)
Dragon Ball Fusions (3DS) [NA]
Morning Men (PC)

November 23
Pokemon Sun and Moon (3DS) [EU]

November 25
Steins;Gate 0 (PS4, PSV) [EU]

November 29
Steins;Gate 0 (PS4, PSV) [NA]
Final Fantasy XV (PS4, XBO)
Watch_Dogs 2 (PC)
The Crew: Ultimate Edition (PC, PS4, XBO)

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why have you got a console in the first place if you can't pay for online?
And yeah, idk about TF2 but oW is a great comp game. Has a lot of players and a lot of communities so you can pretty much find people to play with. Its getting updated a lot and it runs great (on PC at least).
And iirc you don't need to have PS+ to play it, just apply for the free weekend and download it (i think you can even pre load it)[/QUOTE]

I got a console cause it play games, I shove the game disc in and it works, plus they have exclusive games that are not available anywhere else. Is as easy as just plugging it in and playing the game, and less cost efficient than buying a over powered pc that is as expensive as over 1000$ while also trying to fumble with the game settings to run stuff properly or trying to upgrade parts in future.

Is not about not being able to pay for online service. The point i was making is that if is supposed to be free for limited time and IF it requires such service, they could at least offer a trial period to whatever subscription service needed to use it. Netflix offer a 1 momth free trial for first time users to offer them chance to try it, and see if they like it. That was my point, that and the lack of a single player mode.

ItsKipz

l33t hax0r
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never thought about getting PS Plus along with the console. This was a problem because in Mortal Kombat X, I had to get online in order to trigger certain unlockable things. Thankfully I used up a 2 day free trial. Only having 2 games on PS4, for now at least, I don't need PS Plus. The crappy thing though is eventually I'll need it. PS4 being only my second non-Nintendo console I've owned, I'm used to free online multiplayer and stuff. Sigh, welcome to the current generation I guess.

But yeah that free trial with Overwatch, if you didn't have a souped up PC AND PS Plus/Xbox Gold, kind of boned. I would imagine the game requires a good PC.
I have an "ok-ish" PC, its not that bad! My old laptop that doesnt even have a graphics card (rocking intel hd 5500) gets like 40-50fps lowest settings!

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Chary So let me get this straight, This weekend, overwatch is free on all 3 platforms, but unless you play on PC you need to have the playstation plus/xbox live gold membership active to actually PLAY THE GAME. O_O
That's a sony thing. They make you pay for entry while not actually having to do any of the server stuff themselves. They do this with most online games, actually. I'm not sure how many games there are where sony actually does any actual server work.

The Elder Scrolls Online, for example, is completely free to play online after you buy the game...but with sony and microsoft you still have to be a pro/gold member to be allowed to play. They don't actually *do* anything, they just *let* you play on bethesda's servers. It's a bit of a crock.

They use part of the revenue for upkeep, but the rest goes to other areas.

Last edited by osaka35,
Reactions: Chary

ItsKipz

l33t hax0r
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a sony thing. They make you pay for entry while not actually having to do any of the server stuff themselves. They do this with most online games, actually. I'm not sure how many games there are where sony actually does any actual server work.

The Elder Scrolls Online, for example, is completely free to play online after you buy the game...but with sony and microsoft you still have to be a pro/gold member to be allowed to play. They don't actually *do* anything, they just *let* you play on bethesda's servers. It's a bit of a crock.
Just one more reason why PC > XB1/PS4 any day.

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Why have you got a console in the first place if you can't pay for online?
And yeah, idk about TF2 but oW is a great comp game. Has a lot of players and a lot of communities so you can pretty much find people to play with. Its getting updated a lot and it runs great (on PC at least).
And iirc you don't need to have PS+ to play it, just apply for the free weekend and download it (i think you can even pre load it)
Is not about not being able to pay for online service. The point i was making is that if is supposed to be free for limited time and IF it requires such service, they could at least offer a trial period to whatever subscription service needed to use it. Netflix offer a 1 momth free trial for first time users to offer them chance to try it, and see if they like it. That was my point, that and the lack of a single player mode.

Its up to Sony to make it free or not, Blizzard can't do anything about it. Its totally free on PC because the ecosystem is open opposed to the console ecosystem.
And the cost+settings reason to not go PC is so old and overused and not true nowadays, everything is literally automatically updated either by Steam or Windows itself(Nvidia has even an automatic game settings thing). And when you calculate all of the things, in the end PC gaming gets more cheaper than console gaming. PC is plug and play nowadays, the issue things was like in 2006 or so, people should go over it.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its up to Sony to make it free or not, Blizzard can't do anything about it. Its totally free on PC because the ecosystem is open opposed to the console ecosystem.
And the cost+settings reason to not go PC is so old and overused and not true nowadays, everything is literally automatically updated either by Steam or Windows itself(Nvidia has even an automatic game settings thing). And when you calculate all of the things, in the end PC gaming gets more cheaper than console gaming. PC is plug and play nowadays, the issue things was like in 2006 or so, people should go over it.
Just one more reason why PC > XB1/PS4 any day.

They use part of the revenue for upkeep, but the rest goes to other areas.
Then why don't you tell me why Consoles still exist if everyone should just play games on pc? Why are they being made, and being sold? :mellow:

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Then why don't you tell me why Consoles still exist if everyone should just play games on pc? Why are they being made, and being sold? :mellow:
Because the experience is different and they already have an established market. I myself find it really stupid that you need to pay for being online. Don't like paying for extra stuff and being restricted, that's why i like PC gaming. Maybe someday everyone will change to PC, but one thing's for sure, there's more declining in console market nowadays now when we have Steam on PC and the PS4 Pro was made to go against that (and you know its true).

Last edited by GamerzHell9137,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
convenience and focused development. And sony and microsoft insist on segregated servers most of the time (even though they're not their servers). So if you've got any friends you want to play with, and they're on one device, you've gotta go with that device. South park did an episode on it even :P.

It's monthly, consistent money for sony and microsoft, so they want people to buy it. Consistency in revenue makes a business look strong and robust, so the more subscribers they have, the more robust the business model looks. that's why they do what they do, even if it would make fans happier if they only paid when using a sony/microsoft hosted servers.

I'm just happy they stopped requiring gold on xbox in order to play netflix.

Last edited by osaka35,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because the experience is different and they already have an established market. I myself find it really stupid that you need to pay for being online. Don't like paying for extra stuff and being restricted, that's why i like PC gaming. Maybe someday people change to PC, but one thing's for sure, people are changing to PCs nowadays and the PS4 Pro was made to go against PC (and you know its true).
I'm the one asking questions here so i guess i don't know what is true or not. :P

Look, i have reasons for my actions, and not everyone agree, nor will some understand them, just like i won't understand things about other people. I do so acknowledge these things and respect them if given enough consideration for their reasons to believe it, so is not important to discuss here, there games that is exclusive to each system and that is probably any motivation to even own these things. Bloodbourne is only on ps4, Halo only on xbox, smash bros only on nintendo, and many other games... whatever they are, like undertale is exclusive to pc. In the end, they all have a purpose unless all games are for one system but it will never happen. PC is what it is, a multipurpose machiene to assist in daily life while adding extra features like being able to handle games better than most consoles. Is fine, i get it. Console work just as fine to produce enough entertainment fo the content.

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I'm the one asking questions here so i guess i don't know what is true or not. :P

Look, i have reasons for my actions, and not everyone agree, nor will some understand them, just like i won't understand things about other people. I do so acknowledge these things and respect them if given enough consideration for their reasons to believe it, so is not important to discuss here, there games that is exclusive to each system and that is probably any motivation to even own these things. Bloodbourne is only on ps4, Halo only on xbox, smash bros only on nintendo, and many other games... whatever they are, like undertale is exclusive to pc. In the end, they all have a purpose unless all games are for one system but it will never happen. PC is what it is, a multipurpose machiene to assist in daily life while adding extra features like being able to handle games better than most consoles. Is fine, i get it. Console work just as fine to produce enough entertainment fo the content.
Yeah, just don't throw it into the mud and join the sheep logic about being expensive and not flexible and stuff like that because its not true :P If anything, its only better lol

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Also more hot news over the week @Reecey was the first to brick his Rednand by putting the wrong code in his sys_prod.xml file with the RegionFreeHax! Yes he put 191 in, instead of the supposed 119, what a cock! I would never have done that myself, how silly! but apparently others never learned from his mistake and went and did the same with there systemnand!

Last edited by Reecey,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The NES version was not a bad conversion +1