Further information about the upcoming Nintendo Switch "Mig Switch" flashcart has been revealed

mig.png

A few days after the monumental reveal of a work-in-progress flashcart being made for the Nintendo Switch, more information has been made available. The previously unnamed flashcart is set to be called "Mig Switch", and the initial Twitter user that unveiled the Mig Switch's existence, After Time X, managed to get in contact with the team behind it all. According to them, they were offered a review unit of the Mig Switch, but turned it down, as the After Time X team fears legal repercussions from dealing with "backup loader" hardware.

Another interesting tidbit is that existing dumps of Switch games will NOT be compatible with the Mig Switch, and backups will need to be repacked to function with the flashcart. Games played with the flashcart can be played online, as well.

The Mig Switch currently has a website, where it is seeking distributors to work together with in order to sell initial limited quantities of the Mig Switch device, with the first units to be delivered sometime in January. The team claims that full availability is expected around March/April 2024. It'll come with the Mig Switch card, and the Mig Switch Dumper, with the latter of which allowing you to back up your games using NXdumpTool.

:arrow: Official Website

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
What

Kind of want 50 units, kind of want to see how this all shakes out with customs in the US before committing financially. I’m half expecting these to get seized, I feel like Nintendo may be extra aggressive with this one.
I don't recommend you buying this. If this shit is real it will be cloned to oblivion in the first 2-3 weeks and you will lose money selling at a loss.

Reactions: G33ksquad

A-Hacked-Soul

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the people whining about a flash cart and saying that mod-chip is better.... You are not the target audience, I am sorry you feel left out of the excitement.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
All the people whining about a flash cart and saying that mod-chip is better.... You are not the target audience, I am sorry you feel left out of the excitement.
It’s not exciting though because it’s so late and really feels out of place. It has convenience (and I use that term very loosely here). What else?

Don’t get me wrong, I won’t send hate mail because people buy it. I just genuinely want to know what it is people think this does and doesn’t do.

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
What?

This flashcart is inferior in every way to modchip
Your console can instantly get banned for no reason
You cannot run homebrew until you modchip your console (what's the point of its existence then?)
Toggling hundreds of titles to find what you're looking for

They advertise it as plug&play but left out the part that say "get the banhammered"

aoikurayami

dysfunctionally intimidating
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
It’s not exciting though because it’s so late and really feels out of place. It has convenience (and I use that term very loosely here). What else?

Don’t get me wrong, I won’t send hate mail because people buy it. I just genuinely want to know what it is people think this does and doesn’t do.
It has huge issues. Thats what.

But it will most likely be the last flashcard we will ever see.
That is a comforting thought.

Reactions: Kioku

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m just curious if the mig switch dumper will get a clone. I didn’t look into the price of that but I seen a post here saying $65, I want to say that’s over priced but I guess if you have more than $65 of switch games a person might not care.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
It has huge issues. Thats what.

But it will most likely be the last flashcard we will ever see.
That is a comforting thought.
It just reminds me of Sky3DS… and I can’t help but feel that they’re intentionally misleading customers about the “not being banned” part. If this is the last of the first, I’d be alright with that. Personal reasons though.

Reactions: BigOnYa

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I’m just curious if the mig switch dumper will get a clone. I didn’t look into the price of that but I seen a post here saying $65, I want to say that’s over priced but I guess if you have more than $65 of switch games a person might not care.
what if a cheap clone of the dumper will appear that always adds the same certificate instead of the real one?

with the dumper being now as expensive as the migswitch itself, i am loosing interest...

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what if a cheap clone of the dumper will appear that always adds the same certificate instead of the real one?

with the dumper being now as expensive as the migswitch itself, i am loosing interest...
It is expensive, it really makes finding a reliable chip installer a better option or someone selling a modded switch. Like 3 months ago I got myself a switch lite with a chip installed for $220, it was worth it, I already have a v1 switch and switch lite but I felt I needed 2 cfw switch’s and I like the dpad for the switch lite for retro games.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
The same here, I was expecting the dumper and card to be packaged together as one sale for about $60. But not for both as two seperate items. TBH I am not sure what chip is going to be used in these but chips are usually as cheap as hell and once the software is made for them it's trivial to program them. You can get the boards made very cheaply nowaways and stencils for soldering at the same time. So for parts it's probably less than $5 to make these. Still if there;s nowhere else to get these for now then those that want them can buy them but for me it's not worth it now as the card would be only used for game storage, so I may as well just go and buy a 6TB hard drive instead for the money that would be spent to buy this. I'm out at this point, but for those that get these, good luck and I hope you feel that you are getting your moneys worth.

Reactions: BigOnYa and peteruk

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The same here, I was expecting the dumper and card to be packaged together as one sale for about $60. But not for both as two seperate items. TBH I am not sure what chip is going to be used in these but chips are usually as cheap as hell and once the software is made for them it's trivial to program them. You can get the boards made very cheaply nowaways and stencils for soldering at the same time. So for parts it's probably less than $5 to make these. Still if there;s nowhere else to get these for now then those that want them can buy them but for me it's not worth it now as the card would be only used for game storage, so I may as well just go and buy a 6TB hard drive instead for the money that would be spent to buy this. I'm out at this point, but for those that get these, good luck and I hope you feel that you are getting your moneys worth.
and a switch needs updates to access the newest carts, so the dumper needs patches too

Reactions: mrdude

CarlosEFML

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

I have 3 consoles. An OLED that never leaves the home and that I use a lot in bed and docked in the living room. A Switch lite that I use when the OLED discharges or when I'm out. And a V1 that stays with my daughter. So I have the option to modchip 3 consoles OR have just one MigSwitch to play any game on any of my 3 devices.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have 3 consoles. An OLED that never leaves the home and that I use a lot in bed and docked in the living room. A Switch lite that I use when the OLED discharges or when I'm out. And a V1 that stays with my daughter. So I have the option to modchip 3 consoles OR have just one MigSwitch to play any game on any of my 3 devices.
Till they all get banned for using the same Cart ID. I hope not, but we don't know yet.

Last edited by BigOnYa,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
a
Convenience. Yes… There is a use case for this device, I’m sure. Just not seeing much outside of that. I guess that is where my issue lies. Really though, you could just drop your OLED in any dock scattered throughout the house. It means you’d have to move it around a bit more, but that is personal preference.
Post automatically merged:

Till they all get banned for using the same Cart ID. I hope not, but we don't know yet.
I mean. It’s no different than moving cartridges between the devices. That still doesn’t mean there isn’t a risk of being banned though. Have to wait to see.

Last edited by Kioku,

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Out of curiosity, can we use a modded switch and dump directly to a computer easily? Or do you have to dump and copy it over seperatly still ?

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Out of curiosity, can we use a modded switch and dump directly to a computer easily? Or do you have to dump and copy it over seperatly still ?
Yes you can use homebrew NxDumpTool on a modded Switch and get all the needed files, as per Mig's instructions from they're site. NxDumpTool lets you copy directly to PC also through USB.

G33ksquad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea totally a wait and see, I’ll be curious how they handle this overall, do they…

A.) target the supply chain
B.) Target the software
C.) find a way to target the consumer
D.) do nothing

• Haha
Reactions: Trojaner

Wario

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea totally a wait and see, I’ll be curious how they handle this overall, do they…

A.) target the supply chain
B.) Target the software
C.) find a way to target the consumer
D.) do nothing
A, B and C.

(A) Send a C&D letter and sue if needed.
(B) Restrict via FW update.
(C) Get a judge to force Amazon and eBay to not allow MiG.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo