Further information about the upcoming Nintendo Switch "Mig Switch" flashcart has been revealed

mig.png

A few days after the monumental reveal of a work-in-progress flashcart being made for the Nintendo Switch, more information has been made available. The previously unnamed flashcart is set to be called "Mig Switch", and the initial Twitter user that unveiled the Mig Switch's existence, After Time X, managed to get in contact with the team behind it all. According to them, they were offered a review unit of the Mig Switch, but turned it down, as the After Time X team fears legal repercussions from dealing with "backup loader" hardware.

Another interesting tidbit is that existing dumps of Switch games will NOT be compatible with the Mig Switch, and backups will need to be repacked to function with the flashcart. Games played with the flashcart can be played online, as well.

The Mig Switch currently has a website, where it is seeking distributors to work together with in order to sell initial limited quantities of the Mig Switch device, with the first units to be delivered sometime in January. The team claims that full availability is expected around March/April 2024. It'll come with the Mig Switch card, and the Mig Switch Dumper, with the latter of which allowing you to back up your games using NXdumpTool.

:arrow: Official Website

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but Nintendo could block this flashcart with system update? Whoever use flashcart could get a console ban.

That's fishy. I'm worried that flashcart would force Nintendo to system update often and SciresM would have to update the CFW to support latest version.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They claim it to be russian, but it's most likely just the same old same old.
"We're totally Russian we even put MIG in the name!!1!1!1ONE"

As if anything useful could be produced and shipped out of Russia at the present time, obviously coming out of china

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Soon US gonna be manufacturing Mig flashcarts to breathe life back into our economy, haha!
US economy is doing extremely well with strong job growth, inflation is now under the average for the past 10 years, and the stock market has been roaring the past few weeks. My investments went from red to black with good profits after being in the negative for over a year.

Seems the economy has made almost a total 180 from covid times.

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
US economy is doing extremely well with strong job growth, inflation is now under the average for the past 10 years, and the stock market has been roaring the past few weeks. My investments went from red to black with good profits after being in the negative for over a year.

Seems the economy has made almost a total 180 from covid times.
As from the US, I noticed too, even with higher interest rate, economy continue to be resilient.

I feel pain with higher interest rate but I can understand to get inflation under control, but good thing, it is not high like back in 1970s and early 1980s.

KiwiFruit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but Nintendo could block this flashcart with system update? Whoever use flashcart could get a console ban.

That's fishy. I'm worried that flashcart would force Nintendo to system update often and SciresM would have to update the CFW to support latest version.

sys update, no. sys does not interact with gamecard and viseversa except handshake for game play, firmware update prolly require repacking of cart info to keep 'up to date'? maybe this is what they mean with updates.

lotus update, maybe? we don know the attck on lotus for this cart to work, if just spoofing cart then lotus can be patch to not accept the spoof. they say you can alwys update the cart for firmware patches but not sure true for lotus, lotus only had three updates ever and has never been found to have a security issue (until now?). lotus has been secure so long, hard to believe it suddely compromised compeltely

if vuln really bad nint could move to T2 rsa on carts in the future, making flashcart very useless later or they just save all fixes for switch 2 and squash exploit then and not care for switch since switch 7 years old

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sys update, no. sys does not interact with gamecard and viseversa except handshake for game play, firmware update prolly require repacking of cart info to keep 'up to date'? maybe this is what they mean with updates.

lotus update, maybe? we don know the attck on lotus for this cart to work, if just spoofing cart then lotus can be patch to not accept the spoof. they say you can alwys update the cart for firmware patches but not sure true for lotus, lotus only had three updates ever and has never been found to have a security issue (until now?). lotus has been secure so long, hard to believe it suddely compromised compeltely

if vuln really bad nint could move to T2 rsa on carts in the future, making flashcart very useless later or they just save all fixes for switch 2 and squash exploit then and not care for switch since switch 7 years old
Interesting, I can see now and thank you for informative post.

I wish this forum has informative reaction like some forums have it.

I have DSTwo+ to play DS games on my 3DS.

Reactions: Acetonide

KiwiFruit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting, I can see now and thank you for informative post.

I wish this forum has informative reaction like some forums have it.

I have DSTwo+ to play DS games on my 3DS.
nint fixed many mistakes from ds and 3ds,lotus has been good hardware

so waiting to see what this is or do, but nint will definitely get one and study to fix for switch 2 if not even for switch 1

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Another interesting tidbit is that existing dumps of Switch games will NOT be compatible with the Mig Switch, and backups will need to be repacked to function with the flashcart. Games played with the flashcart can be played online, as well.
So you'll just run dumps through their converter software or something? Does that really provide any protection from legal liability?

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you'll just run dumps through their converter software or something? Does that really provide any protection from legal liability?
I'm guessing it has more to do with the specific game format necessary to run games on the device and get past the switch handshake

Game files running on cfw (like sxos) don't have to be byte perfect or include every part of the ROM image because there are zero security checks

If this gets big enough of course people will start sharing the proprietary format of roms online akin to .3ds/.3dz files necessary for 3ds flashcarts

Reactions: Xzi and BigOnYa

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.