Homebrew FCE Ultra GX Mod [Preview + WiiUPro + ScreenShot button]

stealth_gerbil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct
as stated by shadow and niuus the delete file idea would be within the save / load emulator menu
once the minus button is pressed a pop up menu would appears asking user confirmation (like the snapshot option asks before overwriting the file)
If confirmed it would only delete the select file

okay, I suppose thats natural and simple, I approve of that - it shouldnt confuse any casual users either

Im more concerned about things making sense and being a seamless experience, and went on a tangent a bit

I also mentioned earlier about adding d-pad to zapper controls, so the game "shooting range" for nes can work better, if you play the game in the emulator youll know what I mean - select and start button already work with zapper, but some zapper games use d-pad aswell

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
okay, I suppose thats natural and simple, I approve of that - it shouldnt confuse any casual users either

Im more concerned about things making sense and being a seamless experience, and went on a tangent a bit

I also mentioned earlier about adding d-pad to zapper controls, so the game "shooting range" for nes can work better, if you play the game in the emulator youll know what I mean - select and start button already work with zapper, but some zapper games use d-pad aswell
Are there any other games besides Shooting Range that use the D-pad alongside the zapper? I'm asking because the only games i play with a zapper, since i was a kid, its Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley & Wild Gunman, to which i use a real NES and a PVM or TV.

stealth_gerbil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are there any other games besides Shooting Range that use the D-pad alongside the zapper? I'm asking because the only games i play with a zapper, since i was a kid, its Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley & Wild Gunman, to which i use a real NES and a PVM or TV.

honestly that might be the only one (tho maybe theres an NES expert who knows more than me)

this is probably why this is overlooked, since most zapper games only have select/start if they have buttons

shooting range is weird tho, and its not just the menu, you actually move your character left and right, and its an integral part of the game - I believe it uses the a/b buttons to select menus too

nestopia is a good emu to try the game on

Zopenko

Link He come to town Come to save the Princess Z
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
honestly that might be the only one (tho maybe theres an NES expert who knows more than me)

this is probably why this is overlooked, since most zapper games only have select/start if they have buttons

shooting range is weird tho, and its not just the menu, you actually move your character left and right, and its an integral part of the game - I believe it uses the a/b buttons to select menus too

Ill look into it

Another thing that i never undersood is why can only the gamecube controller be used as zapper and not the classic controller

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela

I don't have the physical game to try it, but i'll search for it now. I'm curious.
Another thing that i never undersood is why can only the gamecube controller be used as zapper and not the classic controller
You have read my mind, i was wondering about this while trying the virtual zapper in this emu for the first time, a couple of months ago. My only guess is that Tantric didn't thought this was going to be used on the Wii side, since you can already point with the Wiimote's cursor. I'm still interested in having the best of both worlds, for the zapper/scope [snes] and specially for the mouse cursor, since wiimote pointing gets tiresome.

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Updated first post with 3.3.7 version
now that version is released i will start looking in to the delete snapshot and zapper control suggestions

please report an issues
Thanks! Nice selection of palettes now =D. Floppy Disk System support is still broken, at the moment.

User556

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Hi, the loading palettes are wrong (i tested Wii VC palettes and not work correctly), the cursor of Zapper it's missed ( Bye Duck Hunt T-T )

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Hi burnt

Is that the only palette with problems ?
Hi, the loading palettes are wrong (i tested Wii VC palettes and not work correctly), the cursor of Zapper it's missed ( Bye Duck Hunt T-T )
Updated bug list:
- Palettes seem to be wrongly connected to other palettes.
- Floppy Disk System support is broken.
- Zapper cursor only works while the B button is pressed. Tested in Duck Hunt (Wiimote).

Reactions: Zopenko

Zopenko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thanks niuus for the bug report

- on the palette system i double checked it to assure that each palette was named correctly, if somebody can cross reference each palette with the correct name it would help me track down the error.

- since the virtual memory is more relevant to the gamecube version, and since i'm working on the wii version, should we return back to 3.3.4 MOD version (since the floppy disk system and the zapper worked on 3.3.4) and add the palette files only for version 3.3.8? (what do the end users say?)

- is the zapper cursor related with the palette errors or with the virtual memory errors (can some one test the 3.3.5 version from emu kidd and see if the zapper is properly working there)?

i know i should be cleaning these errors instead of breaking more stuff, but here's a beta version of the 3.3.7 with an option to delete saves (ram and savestates) instead of a pop up menu within the save menu, it's a additional option named "delete", again its a beta (it show's 2 ram files on the delete menu, that do not exist).

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
- on the palette system i double checked it to assure that each palette was named correctly, if somebody can cross reference each palette with the correct name it would help me track down the error.
I seem to recall, for example, that Aspire Real Palette isn't color saturated as before, and seems to be linked to Wii VC Palette. I tried to compare them quickly with your previous 3.3.4 version, though that required me to jump from one emu version to the other, and sadly this destroys the configuration file over and over, which makes it slow for quick testing.

- since the virtual memory is more relevant to the gamecube version, and since i'm working on the wii version, should we return back to 3.3.4 MOD version (since the floppy disk system and the zapper worked on 3.3.4) and add the palette files only for version 3.3.8? (what do the end users say?)
But didn't @Burnt Lasagna said before that it was just a matter of replacing fds.cpp with the one from master? Did you tried it in your 3.3.7 build? Remember the improvements made by emu_kidid with the source are not only pertinent to the Gamecube side, but to overall emulation (he merged in changes from FCEUX up to r2951), which adds MMC5 support for example, for games like Legend of Link, Super Mario All-Stars, etc.
Thanks! I look forward to your release.
EDIT: Also, here is a link to the working fds.cpp on Github.
https://github.com/dborth/fceugc/blob/master/source/fceultra/fds.cpp
It seems to only control Disk System parsing. Not sure if the update in 3.3.6 had any intended improvements of note, but using the last official fds.cpp for fceugc will suffice.
If you compile a quick version with only that file replaced, i could test it and confirm you FDS support is working again, so you can move on with fixing the palettes and zapper bug.

- is the zapper cursor related with the palette errors or with the virtual memory errors (can some one test the 3.3.5 version from emu kidd and see if the zapper is properly working there)?
I can't tell you for sure if it works or not, since emu_kidid didn't provide any Wii dol of his build, only the Gamecube one. I could test it with a Wii binary.

i know i should be cleaning these errors instead of breaking more stuff, but here's a beta version of the 3.3.7 with an option to delete saves (ram and savestates) instead of a pop up menu within the save menu, it's a additional option named "delete", again its a beta (it show's 2 ram files on the delete menu, that do not exist).
I tested this, made a new sram and save state, erased them through your new Delete option, works fine!

BTW, thanks for your work!

Last edited by niuus,

Burnt Lasagna

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you compile a quick version with only that file replaced, i could test it and confirm you FDS support is working again, so you can move on with fixing the palettes and zapper bug.
This is what I came up with.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47184537/Projects/fceugx-3.3.6(Burnt-Lasagna-Edition).zip
It's based off of 3.3.6 with the "Power on" messages removed, Disk System fixed,compiled with PPC 26 and new pallets inserted.
(P.S. Unsaturated-V5 is the correct pallet to use. All other pallets are wrong).

Last edited by Burnt Lasagna,

Zopenko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47184537/Projects/fceugx-3.3.6(Burnt-Lasagna-Edition).zip
It's based off of 3.3.6 with the "Power on" messages removed, Disk System fixed,compiled with PPC 26 and new pallets inserted.
(P.S. Unsaturated-V5 is the correct pallet to use. All other pallets are wrong).
Hi Burnt

Thanks for your work. Ill test later today

On the 3.3.7 version i used the 3.3.4 fds file. Not the latest one from the Github as you recommended.

Also what do you mean by that the unsaturated v5 is the correct one and all others are wrong. ?
Do you mean that theres something wrong with the other palettes. ?
Or that this one is more accurate as an old nes console. ?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Also what do you mean by that the unsaturated v5 is the correct one and all others are wrong. ?
Do you mean that theres something wrong with the other palettes. ?
Or that this one is more accurate as an old nes console. ?
Yeah I would like to know what he refers to wrong in his statement.

Is it wrong in a way like:
  • The palettes are not correct (wrong colours).
  • The palette colours are correct, but the names are wrong.
  • Palette colours are correct but named are switched.
Which one is it? :P

User556

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
- is the zapper cursor related with the palette errors or with the virtual memory errors (can some one test the 3.3.5 version from emu kidd and see if the zapper is properly working the

Hi, i know you have to have the B button pressed, and releasing shoots, but never more than notes hits a shot (Duck Hunt).
I do not think this is due by the palettes. In version 3.3.4 working properly

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Hi, i know you have to have the B button pressed, and releasing shoots, but never more than notes hits a shot (Duck Hunt).
I do not think this is due by the palettes. In version 3.3.4 working properly
The thing is, having it pressed is not the right behavior. 3.3.4 works since it wasn't yet updated to a recent FCEUX codebase, and since there wasn't a Wii build before to detect Wiimote pointing issues, it passed unnoticed.
Working fine. NES and FDS support.

Bugs so far:
- Zapper cursor with the Wiimote only works while the B button is pressed. If you let go of the button, the shot is made, but it doesn't register on screen.
- Aspire Real palette is not present now, maybe others.

Burnt Lasagna

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I would like to know what he refers to wrong in his statement.
All the other palettes do a very poor job at replicating the original colors of the NES. They display properly in my build, but their not accurate and I question why we keep them around.
(For info on why we need RGB palettes for NES emulation in the first place, read this thread)
http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?t=9027
Unsaturated-V5 was made via direct composite captures from the NES and is an all-digitally produced palette (no human guessing game).
I think we should make Unsaturated-V5 the default palette and remove all others besides 3DS & Wii VC colors (just to have Nintendo's official RGB as an option). Maybe keep YUV-V3 for Nestopia lovers.

AKA, there is no need for all these extra palettes ( which are old and game specific) cluttering the interface when their antiquated.

Last edited by Burnt Lasagna,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay