FAQ: What CFW is best for me?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Lilith Valentine, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Platinum Lucario

Platinum Lucario GBAtemp Fan

May 17, 2014
    Australia
    Warrnambool, Victoria, Australia
    If you've already installed arm9loaderhax onto your sysNAND, then I really wouldn't know why you should be worried about updating. Because it's perfectly safe, unless you don't have Luma3DS running. Have you got arm9loaderhax installed?

Last edited by Platinum Lucario, Feb 2, 2017

2. wyll001

wyll001 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 9, 2014
    Brazil
    Off Topic: Hey! Windows Update always glitches the PC once in a while, and I did more Clean Reinstall on my laptops than I can remember
    On Topic: as long as there a 10 percent of change of bricking it on the Main OS, I'd rather try it on the Virtual Box
    I think so.... if I do, it 100% completely and perfectly safe to update? how can I check that?
    if you'd like to get a bit more technical, I'd like to know more about it, like what pathway A9LH takes inside the system? and how can Nintendo not sweep it off with an update? how deep it run that Nintendo can't reach it? how would that work? please don't skip any geeky programmer details.

Last edited by wyll001, Feb 2, 2017
  3. Platinum Lucario

May 17, 2014
    Australia
    Like I said earlier, Luma3DS always protects the FIRM0 and FIRM1, so no update will be able to alter them. Unless you're not running Luma3DS. Both Luma3DS and arm9loaderhax are the best combination to have. Don't worry, I was just as worried as you were a few months ago. But I eventually came to realise that it was perfectly safe to use.

4. Lilith Valentine
    OP

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    You know, I completely forgot that was there. That was my bad, I am so use to just turning the option on by default, that I forgot that wasn't already on by default.
    Edited my post to correct that misinformation...I should check the OP to make sure that mistake isn't there either.
    OP mentions that you need to turn it on ^_^

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, Feb 2, 2017
  5. wyll001

wyll001 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 9, 2014
    Brazil
    please read my last post, I really wanna know the technical about it.

6. Lilith Valentine
    OP

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    I can't really do justice to explaining how it works and that's really a completely different topic
    Still here's a long version
    https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/3DS_System_Flaws#arm9loader
    Short version, it basically exploits an extremely early part of the boot process. Allowing devs to push their codes through seconds after the system is booted.
    Nintendo can't remove it because the coded needed locked to each system, that's what the OTP is basically for. The OTP basically holds the keys needed for your system and your system alone. If Nintendo were to do a targeted attack on A9LH, it would only brick the system and have a high chance of bricking unhacked system. This was brought to life when people updated their systems with Gateway's CFWs, which lacks FIRM0/1 protection and thus resulted in a brick of the system.
    There is no chance of bricking during an OFW update. Nintendo will not target your system. Every single 3DS in my home are running A9LH and all of them have been updated. I have personally tested the FIRM0/1 protection for these CFWs and confirm that they are safe to update on.

7. Platinum Lucario

May 17, 2014
    Australia
    Okay, arm9loaderhax works like this: the payload files are installed into the FIRM0 and FIRM1 partitions of the NAND. When Luma3DS is also installed onto the CTRNAND partition, then it will activate alongside the arm9loaderhax. It works by loading during the ARM9 boot process, which is before the ARM11 userland is initialised.

When Luma3DS is running, the FIRM0 and FIRM1 partitions are protected at all times, so even in the event of a Nintendo 3DS update, Luma3DS will block any attempts of the update to replacing or removing any files in the FIRM0 and FIRM1 partitions.

Arm9loaderhax works by running well before ARM11 boots. ARM9 serves as backwards compatibility with the Nintendo DS, but is also used as an instruction set for running certain commands for the OS too.

Last edited by Platinum Lucario, Feb 2, 2017
  8. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal Kirigiri > Naoto

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    That's wrong. Luma3DS/A9LH doesn't make a better combo than Corbenik/A9LH. It's up to preference and needs.. either way, it's not just "better".

Sent from my cave of despair where I collect souls

9. Platinum Lucario

May 17, 2014
    Australia
    Ah yes, I forgot about Corbenik too. I would've said both Luma3DS or Corbenik. Sorry about that. ^^'

10. gatorman420

gatorman420 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2017
    United States
    Hey yall ,

I understand this thread is more for deciding on a firmware myself , but honestly I dont understand what the difference between them all really are.. I understand Sysnand/rednand(EMU) what ever you want to call it since I have modded my Wii u...

Basically I just want to know what would be best for use for my 5 & 7 year old girls.. I just got them both a 2ds today.. I'll I want it to be able to do is FreeShop.. I dont want them to be able to get in some setting and brick the thing...

From what I can tell SaltFW seems to be the less able to mess up .....

any way ... can some one who knows the FW,, let me know what has the would work best for Kids .... thanks

11. thisisallowed

thisisallowed 中国御宅族

Oct 8, 2015
    China
    Jinan, Shandong
    Luma Nightly+Passcode for settings

12. Lilith Valentine
    OP

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    SaltFW is basically the best for kids. You install it once and it's basically good from there. Pretty much all the "dangerous" stuff is either removed or hidden away. It's basically as close to stock as you can get with a CFW.

13. gatorman420

gatorman420 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2017
    United States

Thank You thisisallowed and Crystal The Glaceon , thisis ... I did not know about passcode for settings... so thank you for letting me know that .... Crystal Thank You for confirming what I figured SaltFW is... I think I'll try both since I have Two 2ds's and decide from there ..... thank you to both of you

14. chaoskagami

chaoskagami Rawr

Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    Have a writeup: http://www.clevermind.it/arm9loaderhax

gnmmarechal likes this.
  15. Lilith Valentine
    OP

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Do no update if you are not using Luma3DS! The new update added a NATIVE_FIRM requirement!

16. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    So only luma is safe to update? Anything else isn't?

17. Lilith Valentine
    OP

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Until they update, they aren't safe. I am sending out messages now.

18. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Well still want that NTR backlight reduction so i'm waiting for that to work. Helps to save battery. :P

I don't like the way they make the update changelog with the same sentence every single time. "Increase userstability to ENHANCE PERFORMANCE" Just be honest and say it patched some currently known exploits. ENHANCE PERFORMANCE has never happend until New 3DS was made. I haven't seen any improvments to performance at all. Least they could do is just write "BUG FIX" cause i'm sure that says it all. :mellow:

19. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal Kirigiri > Naoto

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    About Corbenik, have you tested it? With the new NATIVE_FIRM as native, that is. I can't try it, my 3DS isn't here x.x.

20. Lilith Valentine
    OP

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    I need to test it still.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.