FAQ: What CFW is best for me?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Crystal the Glaceon, May 27, 2016.

May 27, 2016
  1. Crystal the Glaceon
    OP

Member Crystal the Glaceon Done

Antarctica
    So for shits and gigs, I am going to start tagging some forks onto the their parents.
    Like it just came to my attention this was a thing.
    So like this fork for example.
    https://github.com/trbocode/Luma3DS/
    It's just Luma3DS with a different Font. Not worth giving it it's own section since does nothing different, but worth adding to the Luma3DS section.
    So if you all find active and interesting forks, post them up so I can add them! ^_^

Gray_Jack likes this.

2. grafate

Member grafate GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Question on A9LH. the arm9loaderhax.bin that is in ctrnand is what I am asking. So when a day comes that me and the kids don't want A9LH again and don't want to maintain the files, will that bin file need to be changed when a new update comes along? I know its hypothetical if a update comes but can a update target to make the user like me have to update the bin file to work and have the system boot up?

3. Crystal the Glaceon
    OP

Member Crystal the Glaceon Done

Antarctica
    That's hard to say actually. Like for several months people have actually been using older CFW without hassle, but when 11.3 hit, things changed. When 11.3 hit, it hurt all CFWs using either an older NATIVE_FIRM or hurt some using older reboot patches. So anyone using a CFW that wasn't Luma 6.6 were hit hard and anyone using a version of Luma below 6.6 were also hit. Of course that was all quickly handled and everything is good now.
    The reason I bring that up is really just the unpredictability of Nintendo OFW updates. A lot of people didn't actually think Nintendo would push out an update like this, but they did. A lot of people also assumed the system was EOL, but again, we got 11.3.
    So what really recommend are few things.
    1: Always stay up to date on your CFW. If you are on Stable, just look for the latest stable every now and again. If you are on nightly, same thing.
    2: Always check the forums when an update happens. Wait a couple of hours to see what's going on.
    3: If in your situation you just want to sit on your A9LH and get comfortable, please don't. A lot of people did that with older builds of Luma3DS and though it didn't end horribly and was just a matter of updating their build. It sure gave them a scare.

Gray_Jack likes this.
  4. gnmmarechal

Member gnmmarechal Priest of Serielism

Portugal
    Ughh, this won't get updated anymore if it ever becomes necessary. :/

5. thisisallowed

Member thisisallowed C4 Ultra 1800+

Israel
    ???