Hacking FAQ: What CFW is best for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please read the description. I even list the reasons they are in there. For lack of a better term, I used the word "Graveyard." I could use the word "purgatory," as they aren't quite dead, but their lack of activity is still rather concerning
Regardless, please actually read the full post before you call me out. No where in my post did I call CakesFW dead or discourage users from using it. Still, I'll find a better place for it.
Also RXTools is dead
YAY I was right for once. ^_^

Also i did use cake before i did use luma. But that was before i found this useful page of different cfw, and now i can use many, like Luma and Corbenik. Cake wasn't so bad either. Is a fun name too, but there was also pasta, so that is also tasty. Then there is luma... i dunno why, Maybe next CFW someone creates should be Super Shroom, or is all the good andorid names taken? Kitkat, Gingerbred, Ice Cream sandwich, Lolipop, marshmellow, OH I knonw Snickerdoodle :D

Least you did use graveyard, it implies it can be resurrected. Least is not developement hell or something worst.

Maybe In jail is more like it, put in holding. "Shelfed" I dunno.

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I am going to answer the entire post now

How the hell is CakesFW considered a "dead" project? I never said it was dead.
Even rxTools shouldnt be considered dead. RXTools is dead because both the original dev and pasta team stopped working on it.
Dead would be as soon as it becomes obsolete by a new firmware. There's still a possibility that might happen. But it also helps when all of the devs behind the project simply stopped working on it
As soon as a new firmware which is not supported by rxTools comes along and doesnt get patched, then it's dead. Not now. It's dead now, no devs, no progress, dead.

Cakes is "stable". There are no major bugs, and the two that are still a pain in the ass have been fixed by contributors (including me). I actually said that in the main post, you would have known that if you actually read it instead of calling me out like this

I started the "misc" branch on my own fork to add some changes/fixes I hope will be accepted in the mainline repo. For example, the length of patch descriptions should be fixed (if its too wide the characters overflow the memory, which under certain conditions means it overflows to the bottom screen :P ) I can't complain.

Point is, its not obsolete. That'd be like saying reiNAND is obsolete, which would be at the very least a lie, and at the worst an insult. I didn't say it was, I saw lack of activity and went with a observational judgement call to say the project was stalled. There had been no commits for a month and no reply from the dev. As someone trying to maintain a sticky that is always updating, I try to keep on the up and up. If there is some activity, I will change to reflect that. As such, I even moved the project back to active as you came forth to tell me that there's still some work going on with it.
Not gonna be insulted by this one but I really like CakesFW. If people start talking shit about it, at least I'll try to defend it, with or without mid-kid. I fucking love CakesFW and it was my main for months. It actually pained me to move it to that section and even then it came with a heavy debate. I am actually extremely happy to hear that there's something still going on with this project and I am proud to move it back to being active.

That is all.
Look, I don't have anything personal against you, mid-kid, cakesfw, ect. I am just trying to keep an up to date thread. If something appears off, I try my damnest to ensure I get the right information. I am human though and I error. If something is off, I am willing to correct that. Though I moved CakesFW back to active. Please realize, this was not attack against CakesFW and none of this was made to attack any CFW. I simply lacked a better term at the time. I am hoping "Limbo" might be a better term though, unless someone can think of something better.
YAY I was right for once. ^_^

Also i did use cake before i did use luma. But that was before i found this useful page of different cfw, and now i can use many, like Luma and Corbenik. Cake wasn't so bad either. Is a fun name too, but there was also pasta, so that is also tasty. Then there is luma... i dunno why, Maybe next CFW someone creates should be Super Shroom, or is all the good andorid names taken? Kitkat, Gingerbred, Ice Cream sandwich, Lolipop, marshmellow, OH I knonw Snickerdoodle :D

Least you did use graveyard, it implies it can be resurrected. Least is not developement hell or something worst.

Maybe In jail is more like it, put in holding. "Shelfed" I dunno.
I changed it to "Limbo," because the projects still have hope to coming back.

Last edited by The Catboy,

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Sorry :(
I didn't want to make you both fight, @Crystal the Glaceon and @Wolfvak...
It's cool on my end. If I gave a bad judgement call, then I am not against changing it or even explaining it. I am just one user maintaining this thread and doing all of the research. If I mess up, that is simple human error and I will be more than willing to correct it

Wolfvak

nyaa~
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Sorry :(
I didn't want to make you both fight, @Crystal the Glaceon and @Wolfvak...
I'm not trying to fight. If i wanted to i wouldve thrown a couple of ad hominems in the mix. Its just that the lack of commits dont make a project dead or make it belong to the "graveyard". Im not a particular fan of reinand, and as such i have no idea whether its stuck on development hell or what. But Cakes is definitely not dead, which is what threw me off.

If mid-kid doesnt show up for a while (I'm thinking a couple of extra months) then ill just branch off, á la "Reinand mod" ;)

Last edited by Wolfvak,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still think graveyard wasn't so bad. But limbo is okay i guess. It sounds fun anyway. Of course i read the reason why it was listed as graveyard so i can understand why is there, of course she didn't say or do it to be disrespectful, she just needed a way to organize things to be understood with clarity. :)

Most of the time i suffer from people not understanding me when i communicate and i get blamed for the reason why no one gets it. When i highly doubt i am the whole problem, i accept i may contribute to it but if someone doesn't try to understand or take it intentionally the wrong way, is also their part too. Is a confusing aspect but i usually get the short end of things in those kind of struggles :(

This really has nothing to do with me, but i was just defending her reason cause is not like she didn't explain herself with her decisions. Someone must just didn't read them or understand them and wanted to help explain if i could. ^_^

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm not trying to fight. If i wanted to i wouldve thrown a couple of ad hominis in the mix. Its just that the lack of commits dont make a project dead or make it belong to the "graveyard". Im not a particular fan of reinand, and as such i have no idea whether its stuck on development hell or what. But Cakes is definitely not dead, which is what threw me off.

If mid-kid doesnt show up for a while (I'm thinking a couple of extra months) then ill just branch off, á la "Reinand mod" ;)
I am basically just trying to keep the thread up to date. I did reach out to mid-kid and got no reply and after a month of no replies, I simply declared the project must have been staled. I don't believe it is dead as there are comments from him on his github.
Regardless, you are right, it's still very usable and there's no bugs that could cause major issues, thus there's obviously no reason to declare the project "dead," which is actually why I didn't call it dead.
I actually made sure to explain that it wasn't dead, just staled and to defend it as a usable CFW. It was simply in that section as a temperately location until something happened. More researched ended up happening and it was actually going to be moved in due time.
But I really hope you don't take this personal. It wasn't put there to declare the project dead nor attack CakesFW, but just simply there until something happened. I did reconsider my call and moved it back though because there's simply no reason to keep it there.
ReiNAND was moved there because the dev said they were going into private development. It's not there because the project is dead, but because there's no promise for future updates.

If you do fork it, would you mind if I added it to this thread?

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
I feel it's worth mentioning is that this isn't the "Corbenik general help" thread, please take that to my thread. It's OT here. This is a CFW index.

I'm also with @Wolfvak on this. It's far too early to call CakesFW dead, and Corbenik is NOT the successor to CakesFW in any way (please get that out of your heads.) By that standard, SaltFW is also dead due to lack of commits, as well as ReiNAND.

Regardless, I personally hope mid-kid comes back. This reminds me - I need to PR something to Cakes, and forgot. Better do that...

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I feel it's worth mentioning is that this isn't the "Corbenik general help" thread, please take that to my thread. It's OT here. This is a CFW index.

I'm also with @Wolfvak on this. It's far too early to call CakesFW dead, and Corbenik is NOT the successor to CakesFW in any way (please get that out of your heads.) By that standard, SaltFW is also dead due to lack of commits, as well as ReiNAND.

Regardless, I personally hope mid-kid comes back. This reminds me - I need to PR something to Cakes, and forgot. Better do that...
I am going to agree with the top part. I am just friendly to turn away helping people :P

But I never said it was dead, I simply said, "Staled" and still defended it. Yeah, it was premature, but I still have my reasons, which I explained. I've even explained why SaltFW isn't in Limbo and why ReiNAND is in Limbo.

I too really hope mid-kid comes back. He's made some comments on his github, so he didn't completely vanish. But if there happens to be a fork of CakesFW, I won't object to that either.

Anyways, I still corrected my mistake and moved CakesFW back to being active. I never intended to attack it nor promote another CFW above it. I simply placed it somewhere else prematurely due to lack of research. Remember people, I am just one person here, I will error. Either way, I think it's about time we put this mess behind us. I made a mistake, owned up to it, and fixed it

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is CakeFW safe to use for noobs like luma or is it more advance? When i tried it the first time (Since when i started using CFW it was part of the a9lh install guide) I didn't See much problem, except for the region free games not on home menu.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Is CakeFW safe to use for noobs like luma or is it more advance? When i tried it the first time (Since when i started using CFW it was part of the a9lh install guide) I didn't See much problem, except for the region free games not on home menu.
Refer to my main post on that, I explain everything about it ^_^

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Refer to my main post on that, I explain everything about it ^_^
Okay i see, also if i remember there was a pastaFW but i don't see it listed anywhere, and some of them sound like clones, Luma/Puma Rxtools, another rxtools, YET another rxtools, Perhaps maybe you can acknowledge maybe is a clone with minor differences? If is not really a clone, that just me, but the name isn't sound any more unique than the existing ones.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Okay i see, also if i remember there was a pastaFW but i don't see it listed anywhere, and some of them sound like clones, Luma/Puma Rxtools, another rxtools, YET another rxtools, Perhaps maybe you can acknowledge maybe is a clone with minor differences? If is not really a clone, that just me, but the name isn't sound any more unique than the existing ones.
PastaFW is long long dead. Plus no matter what I tried I couldn't get it to boot my 3DS, which disqualified it from my list. All the CFW's on this list I have used as my main for at least a week.
I only listed the old RXTools because it's still being used and I wanted to explain why it shouldn't be used.

Wolfvak

nyaa~
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Personally, I believe you should have a better clasification system.
Something like differentiating between "Active", "Stable" and properly "Dead".

Pasta and the leaked cfw are properly "dead": pasta does not support 9.6+ for N3DS while the leaked one... well... yeah.

On the other hand, the three that are on this list and id consider "Stable" are Cakes, reiNAND and Salt. While those projects dont have commits everyday, they Just Work™. Ive quickly tested reinand and it works perfectly, even SSB4 worked (although that may be attributed to launching the cart, not my CIA ;p). rxTools is a mixed one because although it supports the latest firmware, it doesnt support the latest entrypoint. As such, its up to you where to place it, but id say "Stable" until time says otherwise.

The rest are pretty active (not sure on puma or whether ryccardo wants to keep adding stuff to it).

Last edited by Wolfvak,

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Pasta and the leaked cfw are properly "dead": pasta does not support 9.6+ for N3DS while the leaked one... well... yeah.

On the other hand, the three that are on this list and id consider "Stable" are Cakes, reiNAND and Salt. While those projects dont have commits everyday, they Just Work™. Ive quickly tested reinand and it works perfectly, even SSB4 worked (although that may be attributed to launching the cart, not my CIA ;p). rxTools is a mixed one because although it supports the latest firmware, it doesnt uport the latest entrypoint. As such, its up to you where to place it, but id say "Stable" until time says otherwise.

The rest are pretty active (not sure on puma or whether ryccardo wants to keep adding stuff to it).
That's not a bad idea! I'll use that! ^_^
But I am going to keep a watch on ReiNAND. Private development might end up being a killer.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Is private a worst condition or something? It doesn't sound as positive if people think is might be gone.
It means that there's a chance they might not have public updates. It could also mean the project goes into closed-source development and we get updates, but no source updates.
Right now the future of ReiNAND is up for debate, which is why I am heavily watching it.

On topic! Big update!
So I added more sections with clearer descriptions for each section. I also added an Easter egg.

On the other hand, the three that are on this list and id consider "Stable" are Cakes, reiNAND and Salt. While those projects dont have commits everyday, they Just Work™. Ive quickly tested reinand and it works perfectly, even SSB4 worked (although that may be attributed to launching the cart, not my CIA ;p). rxTools is a mixed one because although it supports the latest firmware, it doesnt support the latest entrypoint. As such, its up to you where to place it, but id say "Stable" until time says otherwise.

I am keeping Pluma as active because there most likely going to be more updates. I do know that ryccardo is on vaction right now, so there should be updates later, hopefully. Ultimately Pluma is very usable.
Also I updated the thread

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It means that there's a chance they might not have public updates. It could also mean the project goes into closed-source development and we get updates, but no source updates.
Right now the future of ReiNAND is up for debate, which is why I am heavily watching it.

On topic! Big update!
So I added more sections with clearer descriptions for each section. I also added an Easter egg.
Its agust. We don't celebrate easter in agust, only in april In this summer heat is gonna rot faster than fish.

Tell me where it is so i can get it quick.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Its agust. We don't celebrate easter in agust, only in april In this summer heat is gonna rot faster than fish.

Tell me where it is so i can get it quick.
It's a really obscure reference to the show "Gravity Falls."

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Will information about the "Boot cfw without SD card" Be added when official word is released? :)
Once there is more to say about them. Right now the most I can say is, it's mini-CFW with signature patches removed and FIRM protection. Not much to write on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: