Hacking FAQ: What CFW is best for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once there is more to say about them. Right now the most I can say is, it's mini-CFW with signature patches removed and FIRM protection. Not much to write on.
I know, i was just curious if you were gonna be updating that, so i can watch this thread and stop watching another since people keep leaving comments that aren't releated to offical release information. I dislike having notifications about something to be disappointed. So if that was the case i would just watch this one, is not as comment flooding as the other post.:)

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I know, i was just curious if you were gonna be updating that, so i can watch this thread and stop watching another since people keep leaving comments that aren't releated to offical release information. I dislike having notifications about something to be disappointed. So if that was the case i would just watch this one, is not as comment flooding as the other post.:)
It's on my list. I am mostly waiting to see what comes out LumaNAND (not the official name.)

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you plan on adding any nightly/hourly mentions to any of the CFW? While maybe not advised perhaps it was just curious if some of them have noteworthy features likd luma pin lock or something. Or maybe the NTR CFW, perhaps?

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Did you plan on adding any nightly/hourly mentions to any of the CFW? While maybe not advised perhaps it was just curious if some of them have noteworthy features likd luma pin lock or something. Or maybe the NTR CFW, perhaps?
Those are mentioned in the main post since there's really no reason to make a section for them. The only with major differences between stable and nightly would be CakesFW and I added a section in the CakesFW for both.
NTR really isn't a CFW (anymore) and it's also no longer in active development, so adding a section would be rather redundant at this point.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
NTR is less of a CFW than Luma or Corbenik. It's more like an overlay.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gray_Jack

MisterGoat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Good day folks.
after a half year i started playing with my new3ds xl again.
theres rxtools installed.
how can i switch to a newer cfw, without breaking something?
I already sold my cubic ninja and gateway, so i only got my new3ds xl with rxtools.
New3ds XL Firmware 9.0.0-20e

Last edited by MisterGoat,

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Good day folks.
after a half year i started playing with my new3ds xl again.
theres rxtools installed.
how can i switch to a newer cfw, without breaking something?
I already sold my cubic ninja and gateway, so i only got my new3ds xl with rxtools.
If you already have RXTools installed, then all you need either MenuHAX or A9LH and to simply replace the RXTools files with the CFW of your choice
Here is helpful guide to doing that
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-updating-from-rxtools-to-luma3ds.427735/
It doesn't have to be Luma3DS, but the guide can apply to any other CFW

Switching CFWs does not effect you saves, games, or any other features as the CFW only reads the NANDs and doesn't actually write to them. So switching is harmless and painless.

Reactions: gnmmarechal

proflayton123

The Temp Loaf'
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Japan
I'm sure I also mentioned this elsewhere, but I have AS as well.

You didn't mess up. That's something that was temporarily disabled when I ported everything to autoconf. It is what it is, so for now the nightlies still say 'corbenik' at the moment.

Off topic but I do too have AS c:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Lol, i don't think anyone is offended anymore. :P

But did you remember to add cakefw back to active? :)
Stable is still active. CakesFW had always had conservative updates and goes go long periods of time without a "stable" update and only updating nightlies. This isn't a bad thing as they stable updates really are extremely stable and don't need to be updated on regular basis. So "Stable," is a more fitting place for it.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stable is still active. CakesFW had always had conservative updates and goes go long periods of time without a "stable" update and only updating nightlies. This isn't a bad thing as they stable updates really are extremely stable and don't need to be updated on regular basis. So "Stable," is a more fitting place for it.
If you say so, just a suggestion. I mean if is being worked on, active sound right but I mean for non night/hourly builds i guess. Stable is just official releases right?.... well you have stuff under control so i won't bother you :)

But i will comment if i have idea or suggestion, to be clear is not to upset or point out mistakes or flaws, just to help improve.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you say so, just a suggestion. I mean if is being worked on, active sound right but I mean for non night/hourly builds i guess. Stable is just official releases right?.... well you have stuff under control so i won't bother you :)

But i will comment if i have idea or suggestion, to be clear is not to upset or point out mistakes or flaws, just to help improve.
Stable is as it's described, the spot where CFW's go when they are stable for everyday usable and don't get frequent updates. Active is for CFW's that are highly active, often have more regular updates and experimenting with new features on more regular basis.
Both are for active projects, but it's the level of activity that separates them.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stable is as it's described, the spot where CFW's go when they are stable for everyday usable and don't get frequent updates. Active is for CFW's that are highly active, often have more regular updates and experimenting with new features on more regular basis.
Both are for active projects, but it's the level of activity that separates them.
So does Luma belong in stable? 5.5 been the versiion for few months now.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So does Luma belong in stable? 5.5 been the versiion for few months now.
Luma is in a weird spot.
Because though it's "Stable" it's also active because the nighties are always adding tons of experimental features.
It's also on the top because it puts me in a weird position and admittedly it's mostly to avoid bias/conflict of interest. Luma3DS is the biggest CFW right now with the biggest userbase out of any CFW. So I'd rather keep it at the top for that reason.
The other reason is to avoid bias. Everyone knows I am huge fan of Corbenik and that is my main (and only) CFW. I don't want people thinking I put it at the top based on my bias towards it.
So I am basically just keeping it there because it both works for me and the community.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Luma is in a weird spot.
Because though it's "Stable" it's also active because the nighties are always adding tons of experimental features.
It's also on the top because it puts me in a weird position and admittedly it's mostly to avoid bias/conflict of interest. Luma3DS is the biggest CFW right now with the biggest userbase out of any CFW. So I'd rather keep it at the top for that reason.
The other reason is to avoid bias. Everyone knows I am huge fan of Corbenik and that is my main (and only) CFW. I don't want people thinking I put it at the top based on my bias towards it.
So I am basically just keeping it there because it both works for me and the community.
So how bout user recommendation list? put luma there then. :)
And i would have said make your own peronal list but as you said, not to try and soun bias, i understand that part. Cause is just for education purposes, not to brag, or condecend anything or anyone, is for helping.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So how bout user recommendation list? put luma there then. :)
And i would have said make your own peronal list but as you said, not to try and soun bias, i understand that part. Cause is just for education purposes, not to brag, or condecend anything or anyone, is for helping.
You see, that would just end being the same list. That's already been posted as "Active" because the three there appease three different groups of people.
This is one those things that's mostly being done because it works out best for the community.
Luma3DS is one of the most heavily recommended CFW's out there and moving it seems like it would cause a massive wave of black lash. And like I said, the stable may not be as active, but it's the community that keeps Luma3DS there.

Last edited by The Catboy,

shawn_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Luma is in a weird spot.
Well said (Corbenik user here as well), I agree with your logic :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: The Catboy

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You see, that would just end being the same list. That's already been posted as "Active" because the three there appease three different groups of people.
This is one those things that's mostly being done because it works out best for the community.
Luma3DS is one of the most heavily recommended CFW's out there and moving it seems like it would cause a massive wave of black lash. And like I said, the stable may not be as active, but it's the community that keeps Luma3DS there.
While other cfw do work and functional. Luma is mostly easy to understand and use, while corbenik need more care added to it so you don't make any mistakes in the patches or settings to ruin your a9lh or nand somehow. Luma is set up to auto fix the system to include the most useful patches and exclude any threatning selections from changing. Is what everyone calls the noob proof CFW. It has that reputation of high recommendation cause of is simple use.

Corbenik may not have higher reputation but it does work as well as luma and then some. While i had used it for short period of time, i see no problems with it (perhaps maybe understanding set up but it could have just been me) With many custom patches to use it makes it a nice testing ground for people who want little more out of the ability to maybe discover new things or create new ideas for good reasons. It takes more understanding to know what you are doing and careful usage so you don't do anything threatning.

To be honest no CFW is bad, is just made differently to fit each personality. And i am glad there is many, most systems don't get many cfw to use cause one become like industry standard which isn't bad but is nice to have options. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up