Hacking DOP-Mii Error Code -1, Can't install cIOS

lisalover1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been having a lot of trouble trying to install cIOSs on my Wii U's Wii mode lately. It is not an issue for emulators and the like, which I can run through the already-installed homebrew channel, but when I try to run USB loaders, it won't even recognize the drive, where it worked fine on my old Wii. I looked up some guides online, and found some cIOSs that I should try and install. So, I downloaded DOP-Mii and cIOS Installer to try to prep IOS36, and reinstall cIOS 222/249.

However, when actually going into DOP-Mii to install things through the FakeScan method, it gives me this error:
G8EYTQd.jpg

This seems to happen whenever I try to install it over ANY IOS. I decided to run a syscheck through the program, and the system crashed, giving me this error, and forcing me to yank the power cord on the system:
64jhkEO.jpg

Any ideas on what to do? When trying to install cIOSs with the Installer, it gives me a -1017 error.

Also, when launching USB Loader GX, it either takes me to a screen showing only the programs on the SD card/internal memory, or gets stuck on the "Mounting USB to 1" text no matter which port I use.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: osaka35

dojafoja

life elevated
Trophies
XP
Country
Ya you're following an old guide. Hermes cIOS(222-224) isn't even supported on vWii. Use a proper guide or you might screw something up!

lisalover1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I took your advice and followed this guide:

And now the USB Loader only has the latter reaction (gets stuck on the "Mounting USB to 1" text).

djisgod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
slow down and do more research before you blindly follow youtube tutorials. read the threads on this site. every guide you need is here.

lisalover1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
slow down and do more research before you blindly follow youtube tutorials. read the threads on this site. every guide you need is here.

The video seems to give the same advice as this thread:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-install-cios-on-vwii-backup-nand-and-keys.339890/

And this thread:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/cant-install-ios236.387191/#post-5462278

And neither gets me past the "Mounting USB to 1" text on either my flash drive or USB HDD (Both USB 3.0).

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which loader are you using and did you check the USB device compatibility list on the wiki to see if your drive is on it? Some of them have built-in encryption that prevents it from working. Also, if the drive enclosure doesn't have a separate power supply you need to use a Y cable for it to get enough power to work, especially on the Wii-U.

lisalover1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which loader are you using and did you check the USB device compatibility list on the wiki to see if your drive is on it? Some of them have built-in encryption that prevents it from working. Also, if the drive enclosure doesn't have a separate power supply you need to use a Y cable for it to get enough power to work, especially on the Wii-U.

I am using this build of USB Loader GX 3.0: https://code.google.com/p/usbloader-gui/downloads/detail?name=USBLoaderGX_v3.0_IOS249.dol&can=2&q=

Also, the Wii U seems to recognize both my flash drive and external HDD, so I don't think power is an issue.

Also, I am using a 64GB Silicon Power USB stick, and a 1TB WD MyPassport, the former of which is not listed in the USB devices compatibility guide, and the latter of which is listed having no issues with an NTFS partition.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am using this build of USB Loader GX 3.0: https://code.google.com/p/usbloader-gui/downloads/detail?name=USBLoaderGX_v3.0_IOS249.dol&can=2&q=

Also, the Wii U seems to recognize both my flash drive and external HDD, so I don't think power is an issue.

Also, I am using a 64GB Silicon Power USB stick, and a 1TB WD MyPassport, the former of which is not listed in the USB devices compatibility guide, and the latter of which is listed having no issues with an NTFS partition.

That's the full channel version and hasn't been updated in quite a while. I would recommend uninstalling that and using the forwarder channel and put the regular dol version in your homebrew apps folder.

The links are in the first post of the main USB Loader GX thread here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx.149922/
Make sure you use the vWii channel, not the Wii one. :)

Also, I think the My Passport series is one of the ones with on-board encryption. You may be able to turn it off with the Smartware utility that comes with it.

Finally, if you're using NTFS only you won't be able to use a Gamecube loader. They require that the game image files be on a FAT or FAT32 partition and it has to be the first partition and set as primary.

lisalover1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the full channel version and hasn't been updated in quite a while. I would recommend uninstalling that and using the forwarder channel and put the regular dol version in your homebrew apps folder.

The links are in the first post of the main USB Loader GX thread here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx.149922/
Make sure you use the vWii channel, not the Wii one. :)

Also, I think the My Passport series is one of the ones with on-board encryption. You may be able to turn it off with the Smartware utility that comes with it.

Finally, if you're using NTFS only you won't be able to use a Gamecube loader. They require that the game image files be on a FAT or FAT32 partition and it has to be the first partition and set as primary.

Thanks for the advice! I'm still having issues, though - when I launch the forwarder from the home screen, it stays on the splash screen for about 30 seconds, then returns to the home screen. I have confirmed that the boot.dol is in DRIVE:/apps/usbloader_gx/ , so I'm not sure what to do. Also, I tried formatting my flash drive as WBFS and transferring a single game to it via Wii Backup Manager, just on a lark. I found that USB Loader GX does recognize the drive, and goes through the whole startup without a hitch, but doesn't recognize any games. What would that mean?

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice! I'm still having issues, though - when I launch the forwarder from the home screen, it stays on the splash screen for about 30 seconds, then returns to the home screen. I have confirmed that the boot.dol is in DRIVE:/apps/usbloader_gx/ , so I'm not sure what to do. Also, I tried formatting my flash drive as WBFS and transferring a single game to it via Wii Backup Manager, just on a lark. I found that USB Loader GX does recognize the drive, and goes through the whole startup without a hitch, but doesn't recognize any games. What would that mean?

Do you get the dialog that says it's only displaying channels? That usually means it couldn't find the necessary cIOS to access the USB drive.
Make sure you got the right vWii forwarder. The old one doesn't work right. This is the newest one: http://www.mediafire.com/download/f..._GX-UNEO_Forwarder_5_1_AHBPROT_vWii_(Fix).wad

lisalover1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... so no warning box when it loads? Make sure the games are in the right folders just in case. (e.g.: "/wbfs/Super Mario Galaxy [RMGE01]/RMGE01.wbfs")

If it's still not working I suspect it may be the drive causing your issues.

lisalover1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... so no warning box when it loads? Make sure the games are in the right folders just in case. (e.g.: "/wbfs/Super Mario Galaxy [RMGE01]/RMGE01.wbfs")

If it's still not working I suspect it may be the drive causing your issues.

I got it working! I formatted my flash drive to FAT32 to test it, and it loads the game through the forwarder!

I am going to try to format my 1TB drive to FAT32, but I may have to do it through Linux, since Windows seems to only let me format it to NTFS and exFAT.

EDIT: Well, that didn't work. I formatted my 1TB MyPassport to FAT32, transferred everything over, and the loader gets stuck on "Initializing USB Drive". :(

EDIT 2: Now THIS is interesting. I took the same USB flash drive that worked for the one test game, and loaded it up with a bunch more games to the point where it was a few GB short of being full. Now, whenever I try to use it in the loader, it gives me the same "initializing USB drive" message, and gets stuck there for several minutes before booting to the menu and saying "drive could not be initialized, booting to channel view". What is happening?

EDIT3: I ran syscheck on my Wii U, and it gave me the error message "Failed to find TMD for IOS36" when checking titles.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gHl4P7AXt0