Hacking Can't install ios236 ?

Reppster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope I have the right place for help. :) I have the home Homebrew channel installed, but when i try to install the ios236 it down loads and runs. When I hit a to install I get a error -1070. I'm at work so I don't have all the info in front of me. I want to have the USB loader GX on my menu screen and when I go to run it my screen goes balck. my system is 58 and iso58 hope this gives you enough to point me in the right direction:unsure:

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Why would you want to install IOS236 ?
No homebrew are using that IOS anymore.

You don't need to install this to softmod your Wii. it's not recommended to install unnecessary files.
If you really really want to install it (why? you are probably following an old and outdated guide), it's possible to do it, but let us know first.

You should follow a proper guide, with proper tools.
We have two different guide on GBAtemp :
one with HBC installation steps, and one with only cIOS installation steps.
IF you already have HBC installed, then follow this guide.

If you want USBLoaderGX on your system menu, you don't need anything else. just follow the guide above, install the cIOS d2x and that's all.
Then, use a wad manager to install the USBLoaderGX Channel forwarder 1.5Fix vWii.
Then, download the latest revision of the loader and place it on your SD:/apps/ folder

Reppster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WOW:wacko: That will be the last time a friend tells me to watch a YouTube video! OK when I click on your "follow this guide" no guide?
Thanks for the help!:bow:

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ahhhh, the eternal youtube video tutorial.
NEVER EVER follow youtube tutorial. I really don't understand whyyyyyy they always do things wrong :blink:
it's usually made by newbies who did something THEIR way and want to share it, but it's always wrong (or at best old).
They are also often missing steps, not explaining things, editing parts to match THEIR own preferences without understanding that not everybody are using the same setup and risk bricking user's consoles.

hacking console is an eternal evolving scene, you should read a lot and check if something new is available since your randomly found tutorial written date.

Oops, wrong copy/past for the guide link sorry.
Here it is :
https://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-install-cios-on-vwii-backup-nand-and-keys.339890/
(it's in the WiiU Tutorial and FAQ section)

I'll move your thread now as it's not a tutorial but a question.

Edit:
When you follow the guide, I recommend installing the version "d2x beta52" instead of beta53.
beta53 can have issues with HDD compatibility.
Its only advantage is that it allows the two USB ports at the back of the console to be used instead of only one (Port0, the back-top).

Reactions: JVC2

Reppster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the update:) Will it be OK to redo the install? I already have the Homebrew channel already installed? I just printed the guide so I will read over it. :rolleyes:
Thanks

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You don't need to reinstall the homebrew channel.
The guide supposes you already have it installed anyway.

download and extract the package provided in the guide to your SD card.
follow the guide.
What the guide will do is essentially : making a backup of your vWii NAND (in case of semi-brick), installing cIOS for USBLoaders in slot249/250/251.
That's all.

Dumping the NAND might be very slow depending on your SD card speed. You can do it later, but it's always a good idea to do it just in case you brick your vWii. (there's currently no way to restore it, but you can extract content from it if needed).

To prevent semibrick : never touch/edit/patch/reinstall a IOS below slot200.

Reppster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hay Cyan :) Well I did what the sheet said and I could not get USB loader GX to run but the WiiFlow is working. I had a ISO of a game and I did get that to run. Will a 1TB HD work on the WiiU? When I try to use the game installer it said NOT ENOUGH ROOM? Is there another ripper I should use. Also I have one of the first Wii white units back a few years with a Wii clip for playing Wii backups, witch tutorial should I use for soft modding it and then install USB Loader and rip my already ripped games to the HD.
Thanks Again for help.
Reppster

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes, 1TB works on vWii (even bigger drives).
I don't know wiiflow and its usual issues so I can't help you with this error message.

USBLoaderGX doesn't run? what do you mean? nothing on screen at all? just black screen? it doesn't even launch?
Or it launches, displays text but freeze ? (known issue with some HDD)

Attention, DO NOT FOLLOW THIS ON vWII :
This is for Wii only.

On your wii you already have HBC installed or not?
if you have HBC installed, the steps for cIOS installation are the same, but with a different installer version (one for Wii instead for vWii). And the NAND dumping is done from Bootmii interface instead of using a homebrew launched from HBC.
If you don't have HBC, you will have to follow the same step you did to install it on vWii.
If your HBC is not running on IOS58, You might want to update/install IOS58 before re-installing HBC if you didn't update your system menu for a long time. (it's not needed to update, you can keep it on low version but install IOS58 and reinstall HBC)
just be sure not to mess the cIOS from wii and vWii. It's recommended to use a different SD card to be sure it's not using cached files from the other console.

Reppster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyan, I did the email letter bomb and I have the HCB and bootmii all in stalled and did a back up of my keys and nand. What link can you give me to load other good items so I don't do the wrong ones. I'm going to try to use USB loader again. I did the install and it would just go to a black screen and NO LOADING info? the wiiflow works great just cant get it to rip a disk? I'm heading home will check back on line in a hour :rolleyes:
Thanks
Reppster

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyan, I did the email letter bomb and I have the HCB and bootmii all in stalled and did a back up of my keys and nand. What link can you give me to load other good items so I don't do the wrong ones. I'm going to try to use USB loader again. I did the install and it would just go to a black screen and NO LOADING info? the wiiflow works great just cant get it to rip a disk? I'm heading home will check back on line in a hour :rolleyes:
Thanks
Reppster

You only need d2x v10 beta 52 or v10 beta 53 for USB Loader GX and Wii games. Just make sure you're using the right one for your console. (Don't install the Wii one on virtual Wii.) You might be able to get WiiFlow to work better if you change the Force IOS option in the menu to ON and set it to 249 once you have d2x set up. If it won't load from the HDD put it on an SD card and set those options first, then it should work from USB.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
just extract the installer I linked above and launch it.
install d2x v8 (or v10) like this :

slot249 : base 56
slot250 : base57
(well, the same exact setup than vWii, but using the Wii installer version)

If you don't have any cIOS, the loader r1244 should launch without problem but you can't launch Wii games.
only homebrew, gamecube and channels can be launched without cIOS. EmuNAND and Wii games require cIOS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: though if it s important to go online for a game I would much rather buy it