Do you want more than 300 titles on WiiU and 3DS?

Do you want more than 300 titles on WiiU and 3DS?

• Total voters

sion_zaphod

Ex-Galactic President; confidence trickster; etc
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
3DS is problematic when you look at just the number of virtual console titles (and the fact that badges count as titles), but WiiU is far less concerning - I think my WiiU external HD is only 256Gb and that's plenty for all the games I want to play and probably accounts for less than a quarter of the 300 limit.
Either way, it's not a problem on either system unless you're of the mindset of having EVERYTHING installed regardless of whether you'll ever play it or go the route of injections or forwarders because you're too lazy to just launch an emu/app.
I like emulators and have no problem launching an emu from a single title. But I also like designing my own icons for virtual console injects. I've done some nice ones for Pocket Beeb of all the Repton games (they don't emulate incredibly well but it's a nice touch). And yes I own all of those games in hard copies (covers and all) for my BBC Master Compact.

xoINARIox

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sigh.......If you really want to you can use system config tool to surpass the limit or you can use multiple hdds.
But with multiple HDDs, the games will be unsorted whenever you plug in a new device.

Another way would be to:
1. have only one user on wiiu
2. set this up to have EXACTLY 300 titles. check this by deleting an entry one by one until nag disappears
3. make a second user
4. using ftpiiuanywhere, copy the barista from user 1 to user 2
5. check if all is fine by rebooting and checking both user 1 and 2 are identical and work ok
6. now you’re free to add more titles to your wiiu hard drive, noting the title ids, and OVERWRITE entries from the user 2 barista to point to the new title ids.

Use the layout from this post for this:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-menu-info-sort-wip.454127/

Tip 1: To start, just install one more title and do this for one entry and check all is still good with the new title showing.
then repeat ad nauseam for up to 10 users and 3000 titles
Tip 2: Don’t use folders until everything is installed - makes it a lot easier to edit the files. You can folder up once your cool with your setup at the end.

:rolleyes:Overall, I don't find your motives really logical........if it's just about preserving games, you can also store backups on a external hard drive and if you need them then you just copy it to sd and install them on the WiiU.

As already mentioned several times by others, the topic has been discussed far too often and in the end you will not find any other solution to your oh-so-horrible problem............

Btw I got this info from this thread:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/what-is-the-easiest-way-to-surpass-the-300-title-limit-in-2020.569027/

sion_zaphod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sigh.......If you really want to you can use system config tool to surpass the limit or you can use multiple hdds.
But with multiple HDDs, the games will be unsorted whenever you plug in a new device.

Another way would be to:
1. have only one user on wiiu
2. set this up to have EXACTLY 300 titles. check this by deleting an entry one by one until nag disappears
3. make a second user
4. using ftpiiuanywhere, copy the barista from user 1 to user 2
5. check if all is fine by rebooting and checking both user 1 and 2 are identical and work ok
6. now you’re free to add more titles to your wiiu hard drive, noting the title ids, and OVERWRITE entries from the user 2 barista to point to the new title ids.

Use the layout from this post for this:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-menu-info-sort-wip.454127/

Tip 1: To start, just install one more title and do this for one entry and check all is still good with the new title showing.
then repeat ad nauseam for up to 10 users and 3000 titles
Tip 2: Don’t use folders until everything is installed - makes it a lot easier to edit the files. You can folder up once your cool with your setup at the end.

:rolleyes:Overall, I don't find your motives really logical........if it's just about preserving games, you can also store backups on a external hard drive and if you need them then you just copy it to sd and install them on the WiiU.

As already mentioned several times by others, the topic has been discussed far too often and in the end you will not find any other solution to your oh-so-horrible problem............

Btw I got this info from this thread:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/what-is-the-easiest-way-to-surpass-the-300-title-limit-in-2020.569027/
I know about hacking the barista file. It's too sloppy for my liking and I feel like there could be a much nicer and neater solution. Maybe I will code one myself once I figure out how to sort titles by different criteria not just title id. And my motives are my motives. I wanted to find out the statistics involved for how many people want a solution for the title limit. And look at the response I get. People accusing me of making demands on the homebrew scene. Without bothering to read all my posts or forgetting that this is a POLL.

Edit :- System config tool is a solution but it needs to be one of the first things installed before reaching the 300 limit. Also it seems to crap out with some Japanese games (something to do with the game title).

Last edited by sion_zaphod,

xoINARIox

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I know about hacking the barista file. It's too sloppy for my liking and I feel like there could be a much nicer and neater solution. Maybe I will code one myself once I figure out how to sort titles by different criteria not just title id. And my motives are my motives. I wanted to find out the statistics involved for how many people want a solution for the title limit. And look at the response I get. People accusing me of making demands on the homebrew scene. Without bothering to read all my posts or forgetting that this is a POLL.
The next best option would be launchiine (but that's just WIP for now):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-launchiine-a-wii-u-menu-replacement.606424/

To sum it up, these are more or less the options you currently have to live with.
If the 300 title limit ever becomes a serious problem for the community, someone will show up and take care of it.
But since the problem is very niche, there are only very niche solutions for it;).

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
What about people that have bought games on disc and don't want to damage the disc with touching it or putting it in and out of the system (pretty much everything damages optical media) so they rip their own legally purchased game to WUD, convert to WUP and install the game so no more damage to the optical disc. Game Hamsters (a good saying for hoarders and leaches but I am neither).

Back in my day also I would save up pocket money to go buy a game or music album. I still have every Album and every Game I ever bought (except the ones on optical media that died, even floppy discs and magnetic tape outlasted the optical discs).
this is ridiculous...

"How many physical games were released for the Wii U?

As of late July 2016, there have been 39 first-party and 118 third-party Wii U games physically released in the United States; both figures are the lowest for any Nintendo console."

so yeah you can back up all your disc games and still have almost half of the space left for digital games... people dont realize the wiiu never had many games so 300 is fine for what the wiiu had to offer imo.

I also played way more than 300 games in my life but they were all on diferent systems and over like 25 years spam, no one i ever heard off randomly finished off 300 games on a single system.

Last edited by pedro702,
Reactions: xoINARIox

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As of late July 2016, there have been 39 first-party and 118 third-party Wii U games physically released in the United States; both figures are the lowest for any Nintendo console.
The Virtual Boy says hello with it's twenty-two 1st and 3d party games

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The Virtual Boy says hello with it's twenty-two 1st and 3d party games
virtual boy is better left forgotten as it never existed xD i dont think even nintendo counts that one, heck you cn count pokemon mini then and it was worse than the virtual boy xD

10 games

The Pokémon Mini is a piece of hardware that featured only 10 games, it was also the smallest handheld that Nintendo has ever made.

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
I believe the 300 title limit is very important.
No. It isn't. You can also simply uninstall the titles after playing through them. But hey, what do I expect here? It's probably too simple. Why are you all so obsessed with this limit? Play through the games, uninstall them afterwards and that's it.

sion_zaphod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
No. It isn't. You can also simply uninstall the titles after playing through them. But hey, what do I expect here? It's probably too simple. Why are you all so obsessed with this limit? Play through the games, uninstall them afterwards and that's it.
I do not expect anyone to get this but I am not the kind of person that sells games once I have completed them. I keep everything (hence collector), that goes for games on magnetic tape, floppy disk, optical disk, cartridge and digital. I find replay value in most of the games I complete (games with multiple endings, or games that change with rtc as an example) and sometimes I just want to do a speed run of a game.

While the limit may not be important to you or other average games players it is something that is important to a collector like me. I love how people keep saying "there is no way you can play 300 or more games". They obviously do not know me. I have been playing games since 1980 and I never throw anything away or sell it (except my first Sega Megadrive so I could buy a SNES but then I bought another MD because I like the exclusive games for that). 300 is a pathetic number to a collector. And if Nintendo had thought about that before releasing the 3DS, WiiU, Switch (I believe switch has 300 limit as well I've not reached it yet so I don't know) they could have made a lot more money from collectors like me that don't mind legally buying digital games or converting disk and cartridge games to digital.

Don't pretend to know me or my motives just know that I am a collector (and not a collector like Sheldon from BBT) that actually likes to play the games in my collection.
So let's here the insult retorts to that one.

xoINARIox

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I do not expect anyone to get this but I am not the kind of person that sells games once I have completed them. I keep everything (hence collector), that goes for games on magnetic tape, floppy disk, optical disk, cartridge and digital. I find replay value in most of the games I complete (games with multiple endings, or games that change with rtc as an example) and sometimes I just want to do a speed run of a game.

While the limit may not be important to you or other average games players it is something that is important to a collector like me. I love how people keep saying "there is no way you can play 300 or more games". They obviously do not know me. I have been playing games since 1980 and I never throw anything away or sell it (except my first Sega Megadrive so I could buy a SNES but then I bought another MD because I like the exclusive games for that). 300 is a pathetic number to a collector. And if Nintendo had thought about that before releasing the 3DS, WiiU, Switch (I believe switch has 300 limit as well I've not reached it yet so I don't know) they could have made a lot more money from collectors like me that don't mind legally buying digital games or converting disk and cartridge games to digital.

Don't pretend to know me or my motives just know that I am a collector (and not a collector like Sheldon from BBT) that actually likes to play the games in my collection.
So let's here the insult retorts to that one.
As i already mentioned you can also just save your backups on a seperate HDD and install it on the console if you want to play it.........that way the limit doesn't technically matter. (that's what most preservers do:teach:)

But if that's not an option either, then you really only have 2 options left:
1. Waiting for someone to bypass the limitation
2. independently find a way to bypass the limit

Reactions: sion_zaphod

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
I do not expect anyone to get this but I am not the kind of person that sells games once I have completed them
My statement referred more to digital titles. You shouldn't sell your games then either. Especially since you then simply change the cartridge. If you have the games digitally, you simply uninstall them. And if they're physical, you just take one cartridge out and put the next one in.

sion_zaphod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
My statement referred more to digital titles. You shouldn't sell your games then either. Especially since you then simply change the cartridge. If you have the games digitally, you simply uninstall them. And if they're physical, you just take one cartridge out and put the next one in.
Most of my disks and cartridges are packed away in boxes in my attic. Swapping games in and out is simply not an option for disks and carts hence why I use roms and disk images and digital converts to play backups (to not damage the disk or the system through over use). I've had to replace a few drive belts in some of my older systems and the cartridge slot onto the boards can get damaged with constant use (the pins on my daughter's DS got bent when she put a cart in the wrong way >: and I had to fix that). Carts take up too much room which is why I flat pack the boxes and store the carts in an air tight container. Optical Disks are another problem with storage as the boxes are normally a rigid plastic so cannot flat pack (I've tried to store as many as possible but ended up throwing a lot of jewel cases and just keeping the inlay covers, manuals and disks. I backup all my cover art as well). In regards to uninstalling digital titles to make room for more that is not an option for me either. Eshop is going so how much longer will people be able to redownload their purchased titles? Also having a hard drive with all those WUD's/WUX's takes up space as well (mine are on a 2tb external drive kept with all the disks in my attic, I have a separate 2tb connected to my WiiU for my Installs). I am not going to spend time hunting down a game Digital or not (time is precious to me as I work loads), I just want to be able to pick up a controller/keyboard/mouse and play the game I want without looking in boxes or going into my attic to find that one rare game.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Most of my disks and cartridges are packed away in boxes in my attic. Swapping games in and out is simply not an option for disks and carts hence why I use roms and disk images and digital converts to play backups (to not damage the disk or the system through over use). I've had to replace a few drive belts in some of my older systems and the cartridge slot onto the boards can get damaged with constant use (the pins on my daughter's DS got bent when she put a cart in the wrong way >: and I had to fix that). Carts take up too much room which is why I flat pack the boxes and store the carts in an air tight container. Optical Disks are another problem with storage as the boxes are normally a rigid plastic so cannot flat pack (I've tried to store as many as possible but ended up throwing a lot of jewel cases and just keeping the inlay covers, manuals and disks. I backup all my cover art as well). In regards to uninstalling digital titles to make room for more that is not an option for me either. Eshop is going so how much longer will people be able to redownload their purchased titles? Also having a hard drive with all those WUD's/WUX's takes up space as well (mine are on a 2tb external drive kept with all the disks in my attic, I have a separate 2tb connected to my WiiU for my Installs). I am not going to spend time hunting down a game Digital or not (time is precious to me as I work loads), I just want to be able to pick up a controller/keyboard/mouse and play the game I want without looking in boxes or going into my attic to find that one rare game.
an hardcore collector that keeps their games in the attic in boxes... sure that is how collectors preserve their games for sure...

sion_zaphod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
an hardcore collector that keeps their games in the attic in boxes... sure that is how collectors preserve their games for sure...
Well I haven't got 17 rooms to keep my books, comic, records, and physical games all on shelves. Also I don't want the kids touching my physical games or my records with sticky fingers.

I do consider myself a hardcore collector actually! If I had no life, no wife, and no kids I might consider keeping them somewhere else perhaps giving me attic space for a Hornby Train Set or Scalextrix.

How else should I store my games? Please anyone weigh in on this!

Dakangel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Maybe I will code one myself once I figure out how to sort titles by different criteria not just title id.
Maybe the people with the knowledge doesnt care about your petition or reason to bypass the limit.
Take your time searching for a real way to avoid the limit or deal with what you have.
If you want something so badly then spend time to find a solution yourself.

Last edited by Dakangel,

sion_zaphod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe the people with knowledge doesnt care about your petition or reason to bypass the limit.
Take your time searching for a real way to avoid the limit or deal with what you have.
If you want so badly something then spend time to find a solution yourself.
Is this a petition? I thought it was a poll! Illiteracy seems rife in these forums!! haha.
I am searching for a way to do it myself. The launchiine code works fine as a title launcher. The crashes are to do with GX2. I am gradually stripping out all the UI code to make a simple text based launcher (gradually being an overstatement as I work 70+ hours a week). Once I get title launching working from a simplified UI I am going to adapt the sorting code from NUSPLI to sort games by title and not titleid or install date.
So YES I am searching for a way but thanks for the patronizing message:bow:.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well I haven't got 17 rooms to keep my books, comic, records, and physical games all on shelves. Also I don't want the kids touching my physical games or my records with sticky fingers.

I do consider myself a hardcore collector actually! If I had no life, no wife, and no kids I might consider keeping them somewhere else perhaps giving me attic space for a Hornby Train Set or Scalextrix.

How else should I store my games? Please anyone weigh in on this!
cmon we all know you just downloaded those games and putted them all in the hdd, there is no way you dumped hundreds of games, just looked to your last 5 or 6 pages of posting you did and they are all about title limit even one of them is about ps2 1000+ games having issues, yeah right we all know you just have all those games in the attic too and dumped every single one of them yourself and all and still play all those games daily...

im not rich and i have a physical game collection, i dont buy every game, only the games i actually intend to play and i bough afew shelves that i putted along the wall to sort my games by console, it wasnt expensive nor did it take too much space at all, collectors invest in display stands same for the games themselves.

So your every day life is you buy a brand new game, you dump it and then throw the disc in the attic to never be taken out again, is that right? never saw anything so poorly stated just to not admit your pirated most of your complete collections...

At least admit it dont make it sound you have 10000 official physical games since c64 all stored in the attic a pirate should at least admit it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo