1. hectichobo

OP hectichobo Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I am aware of workarounds for the 300 title limit on the Wii U menu. I was just wondering what the easiest/safest one is in 2020? Most of the threads I found relating to this topic are pretty old so I was wondering whether or not they are outdated. From what I saw, I needed to edit system files which I'm a little iffy on doing because I don't want to brick.

Chrisssj2 likes this.
  2. Jayinem81

Jayinem81 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Sure there might be some hacky way that you can edit system files (unsafe) but don't expect a safe way. There isn't one, unless you want to use an sd card or vWii that's it.

I thought I had a problem with having too many games geez.

3. hectichobo

OP hectichobo Member
    Newcomer

United States
    There's no such thing as too many games:D

Last edited by hectichobo, Jul 5, 2020
  4. Jayinem81

United States
    Then go buy 10 Wii Us then.

5. hectichobo

OP hectichobo Member
    Newcomer

United States
    No sir, not when I only need one. Are there any in depth guides on setting up 10 user accounts? Mayhe a video tutorial? Saw some posts about how to do ir but they were a little unclear

6. Jayinem81

United States
    No there isn't, you're on your own. You didn't read that either you won't provide a link that I asked you to.

If you did read it, you'll probably end bricking your Wii U. Have fun with that.

7. hectichobo

OP hectichobo Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I mean, I read it. I'm just not ruling out editing system files if thats what needs to be done to accomplish this. Just because you'd brick your Wii U if you tried to do it doesn't mean we all would. Also, i dont see where you asked me to provide any links.

8. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Not like there are 300 worthy titles to play.

9. Zyvyn

Zyvyn GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    best way of putting it is that passing this limit is possible just rather dangerous especially if you dont have a nand reader/writer setup

hectichobo likes this.
  10. hectichobo

OP hectichobo Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Worth is a matter of perspective

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

How complicated is setting up a nand reader/writer? What does it entail?

11. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

United States
    That is hard mod.

12. hectichobo

OP hectichobo Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I'm not afraid as long as someone can give me step by step directions and it doesn't require opening up the Wii U or buying any equipment

13. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Does require opening it up and soldering.

14. hectichobo

OP hectichobo Member
    Newcomer

United States
    RIP. What's my second best option for getting the most of my 2tb hdd? I mean, with 300+ games on it, I still have like a TB of space left. Seems like a waste.

15. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

United States
    You can always transfer the content to a smaller HDD using the built in transferring tool if everything is on the Wii u side.

16. hectichobo

OP hectichobo Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Is there anything that can run games from the HDD like the Wii's USBLoader? I don't really have another practical use for the hard drive. I bought it specifically to fill up and attach to the Wii U - unaware of the 300 title limit.

17. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

United States
    You could convert Wii and Gamecube game into Virtual console format so you can install it on the Wii U side, but there is still the 300 titles limit, I have a 2TB also connected to my Wii U I sometimes do question if it worth all that extra spaces.

18. Pikm

Pikm GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    There's no way you consistently play more than 300 Wii U games. Just back some up to a hard drive.

19. Goku1992A

Goku1992A GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Some people like to do it for show like if you have like 700 SNES box art on retroarch but you never play 10 games. As we speak I have around 1TB of switch content and I doubt I'll finish those games in my lifetime. I just got to the point I rather have 4 games on my device and play them versus 300 just for show.

@OP
    is i worth having so many games on your Wii U ?

GABO1423 and Hayato213 like this.
  20. snoofly

snoofly GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I’m the guy who made the workaround of creating users and edit barista files with a hex editor to overcome the 300 limit.

Just want to say it’s not that hard to do and also I strongly believe from my own experiences of screwing it up a couple times whilst trialling the process, you’re not going to brick your WiiU by making a mistake.

If you do corrupt the file somehow, the WiiU will freeze on selecting a user and emit a high constant pitch and you’ll need to hard reboot and correct the issue, so just make sure you backup your original set of files.

Bear in mind it’s only worth it if you really HAVE to have access to all of your content and VC/forwarders etc from the home menu - ie you’re a collector type of person and/or want the ultimate setup. If you’re only interested in playing, then I can’t see that 300 limit is anything to worry about.

I have 5 users, one for the main titles, one for eshop a-m, another for n-z, one for Gamecube VC injects, another for N64 injects

Also bear in mind, as each of the 5 users has 300 titles installed, anything WUP installed to the WiiU hard disk now needs to have one of the barista entries overwritten for it to show in the menu. So that’s an extra step, but not an issue as a few titles are shared to multiple users and are just there to pad out each user to exactly 300 entries and avoid re-sorts.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - easiest, surpass, title