Hacking Devolution - Public Release

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
The problem is that I have not managed yet to find a way to use my real MC with Devolution.I tried Wiiflow,disabled MC emulation in the settings and yet again,Devolution sees my MC as damaged.That's false,because real GC games and DM games can see perfectly my save files...
Has anyone similar problems?
Did you disable Devolution's memory card emulation in the game options screen in Wiiflow? I'm pretty sure real cards work for me with the latest Wiiflow on google code.

panmusic

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
The problem is that I have not managed yet to find a way to use my real MC with Devolution.I tried Wiiflow,disabled MC emulation in the settings and yet again,Devolution sees my MC as damaged.That's false,because real GC games and DM games can see perfectly my save files...
Has anyone similar problems?
Did you disable Devolution's memory card emulation in the game options screen in Wiiflow? I'm pretty sure real cards work for me with the latest Wiiflow on google code.
Yes,I disabled it in the game options screen.I suppose you are using r594 because I am stuck in r590 as I don't know how to compile myself...

lovecf4444

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As the author has said,". It is possible to use real memory cards with Devolution, the loader simply needs to be modified to disable the emulation options.", and some one has compiled a r94 version that do use real memory card; however, the r100 version can't use real memory card yet.

Instead of "The power button should return to HBC", I got a black screen when pressing power button on the sample loader, is it a kind of bug or something? the Jpn version of Wave Race Blue Storm works fine with R100.

tueidj

I R Expert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Are you launching it from HBC? It's obviously not going to "return" to HBC if not. Another problem could be if it's not HBC 1.1.0, the return stub for the earlier versions wasn't very reliable.

lovecf4444

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you launching it from HBC? It's obviously not going to "return" to HBC if not. Another problem could be if it's not HBC 1.1.0, the return stub for the earlier versions wasn't very reliable.
yes, I launched the sample loader from HBC.

yes, it is the problem of my previous version of HBC which is 1.0.8. After updating my HBC to 1.1.0, I can return to HBC from the sample loader by pressing power button now.

Would you please give us some clue about how to convert *.raw save file which is dumped from ngc real memorycard to *.bin save file that is used by the devolution , or how can we use real memory card in devolution ,will it entail some editing and compiling work that most of us are not familiar with ?

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Yes,I disabled it in the game options screen.I suppose you are using r594 because I am stuck in r590 as I don't know how to compile myself...
No, I am using Wiiflow r590 and Devolution r100. I just tried two games - Rogue Leader and Zelda Ocarina Master Quest - and both recognized my saved games on the (real) memory card. Not sure why you might by having difficulties.

Also, I re-ripped Rogue Squadron once again and it still crashes on the player selection screen, right before mission selection.

panmusic

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
No, I am using Wiiflow r590 and Devolution r100. I just tried two games - Rogue Leader and Zelda Ocarina Master Quest - and both recognized my saved games on the (real) memory card. Not sure why you might by having difficulties.

Also, I re-ripped Rogue Squadron once again and it still crashes on the player selection screen, right before mission selection.

gtmtnbiker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're all launch titles, using the same buggy apploader that references r13 without knowing what memory it's pointing at. In this case that causes IOS to crash... the apploader is still able to finish because the disc is being read using direct register accesses, but when it tries to switch to reading from SD/USB IOS doesn't answer.

Thanks for fixing the issue. So what did you do to fix it? Patch the r13 reference?

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the purpose of bug testing... Wouldn't it make more sense to test with the sample loader and report results before rushing off to use the app with some other loader that wasn't written by the author?

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
For the purpose of bug testing... Wouldn't it make more sense to test with the sample loader and report results before rushing off to use the app with some other loader that wasn't written by the author?
This was suggested to FIX94 early in the thread.... suggestion was not approved.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Is network logging only enabled with the standalone Devolution loader or does it log to the network when using other USB loaders as well?
It won't automatically work with other loaders, they have to add support for it I believe. But other loaders will be able to use it if they implement the code.

Also, if anyone wants it here is the sample loader for r100 compiled with memory card emulation disabled (I think). Haven't tried it, but I believe it will work: http://d.pr/f/clFw (download the official release from the 1st post and replace boot.dol with this one)

EDIT: All I did was change this line in main.c:
Code:
DEVO_CONFIG->memcard_cluster = st.st_ino;
to this:
Code:
DEVO_CONFIG->memcard_cluster = 0;
I assume that is all that is necessary from the comment before this line. (I think technically I could comment out some of the lines before this relating to memory card emulation, but I didn't bother i.e. the memory card emulation file will still be created on your SD card or USB drive)

Reactions: 1 person

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
It's possible create a virtual memory card (empty), or I need dump my real memory cards?
I don't feel like dumping the real ones because once a hb app corrupted it.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It'll create a blank one on startup if you use the sample loader, in /apps/gc_devo, if you don't have one already, called memcard.bin.

thevoiceover

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's possible create a virtual memory card (empty), or I need dump my real memory cards?
I don't feel like dumping the real ones because once a hb app corrupted it.

I use a virtual memory card Devolution creates in slot a, b has a real memory that I use for DM or my real discs. Another good feature Devolution offers is the ability to have a virtual and true memory card running at the same time!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool