Devolution - Public Release

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by tueidj, Jul 12, 2012.

Jul 12, 2012

Devolution - Public Release by tueidj at 10:55 AM (739,667 Views / 53 Likes) 4,103 Comments

tueidj I R Expert

Message Count:
    Pacific Ocean
    Two months later than expected but the first public release is finally ready!

There are two download packages. The first contains the "sample" loader, the second contains the source for that loader and the binary blob for Devolution engine. The purpose of the second package is so people can make their own loader or incorporate it into existing programs. The source code is documented pretty well so I don't think there should be any problems, but if a game isn't working make sure to test it with the sample loader before reporting it here - I don't want to deal with other people's bugs.

Link for the loader: http://www.tueidj.net/gc_devo.zip (always the latest release)
    Link for the source: http://www.tueidj.net/gc_devo_src.zip

How to use it
    Devolution requires clean 1:1 disc images (use cleanrip for best results). For the example loader to find them, they must have a .iso file extension and be placed in the /games directory. Use a gamecube controller in port 1 to choose whether to use USB or SD, then press up and down on the D-PAD to cycle through the available .ISO files. Press A to launch a game and after a little while the disc slot should start periodically doing 2 flashes. If it instead does four flashes and returns to HBC, it couldn't mount your storage device - you'll need a USB gecko to find out why. When the slot is doing 2 flashes it means it wants the original disc inserted. If you put the wrong disc in it will spit it out. Once the correct disc is inserted it will be verified, the slot will flash 5 times and hopefully a short time later the game will start. You only need to verify each disc once, after that you should be able to start the game without needing the disc at all. If it keeps looping over the read/verify disc->five flashes procedure then the .ISO file probably doesn't match the disc properly - re-rip it making sure it's a 1:1 image.
    If the game uses multiple discs, do not attempt to load disc 2 directly - Devolution will always start the game using disc 1 only.

While the game is running
    You may notice the disc slot being lit at random, it is used as an indicator for when Devolution is doing work in the background.
    If a multi-disc game asks to switch discs, press the eject button. The next .ISO file will be loaded (provided it is either in the /games directory or the loader told the engine where to find it) and the game should continue. If the next .ISO can't be found it will be as if you ejected and re-inserted the same disc. If you press the eject button while the game isn't asking for a new disc, nothing will happen.
    The sample loader always activates memory card emulation for slot A. The memory card file for emulation is /apps/gc_devo/memcard.bin. It's the same basic format as used by Dolphin, you can try to use Dolphin's memory card manager to insert/remove individual game files but I've found it to be rather unreliable. It is possible to use real memory cards with Devolution, the loader simply needs to be modified to disable the emulation options.
    The power button should return to HBC while the reset button should work like originally intended (resets the game).

Bugs
    Some games will most likely have audio issues, for example static being played instead of the correct sound effects and/or music. These are normally easily fixed provided I can get hold of the game. If you're starting a game for the first time it might be a good idea to turn down the volume just in case.
    F-Zero GX always gets stuck after the first few title screens.
    If you wish to report a bug make sure you have a log from a USB gecko. Saying "Game XXX doesn't work" does not help anyone. Do not include useless information like syschecks, installed cios versions, boot 2 version/system menu theme/shoe size. The only thing Devolution requires is a normal IOS58 and something to launch it with AHBPROT access.

Future Improvements
    Things that are already planned:
    - Wiimote support
    - BBA emulation
    - USB microphone support instead of the GC microphone
    Things that may be added:
    - GBA connectivity to a GBA emulator via TCP/IP

Future purpose of this thread
    - Notification of updates/new releases
    - Reporting of bugs (with logs!)
    - Queries about the provided source code (within reason)
    - Not discussion of the "anti-piracy" (leave the dead horse alone already)
    - Not discussion of how to "crack" Devolution - feel free to discuss it elsewhere but keep this thread clean.
    Since the "latest post" link doesn't work properly when threads have pages of deleted posts, let's try and keep things sensible and on-topic this time.

Publically maintained compatibility list can be found here.

Instructions for wifi logging can be found here.

Instructions for setting up modem emulation for PSO can be found here.

A tool to make raw dumps of memory cards (for memory card emulation) can be found here.
    Logan97, _47iscool, B4rtj4h and 50 others like this.

clarky World Peace Is None Of Your Business

Message Count:
    United States
    you beauty, will tuck into this over the weekend
    1 people like this.

zerofalcon New Member

Message Count:
    Antarctica
    Thanks tueidj!

Mario Kart DD works perfect, memory card file now works fine.
    • Global Moderator

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Message Count:
    France
    Thank you for your devotion (pun intended?) on this project and sharing it :)
    I hope users can help you to improve it too, it's not a single way effort.

Too bad I'm currently at work...
    I'll test it when I can.

edit: Fixed the typo, sorry for my bad english.
    tatripp and Anon10W1z like this.

GolfDude New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    hey tue, i dont get any light flashes, it just boots me back to hbc after i pick my game that i just dumped with cleanrip .. what does it mean if it doesnt flash the light at all? (it only does that for my hard drive, if i use deevo via sd card, it works, so i know its not the rip)

and it appears mario party 7 is one of those games with graphics issues.. lots of flickering and messed up images (mario has no eyes and luigi has a black eye lol)
    1 people like this.

Hielkenator New Member

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    If this can enable forcing 480p over component for pal games, you have a winner. (As long as pal owners don't have an ntsc copy lying around.)
    Main reason I use dm is for this feature.

I get that verification is because of piracy purposes, but come on, I can't even buy those games anymore.
    ( good thing I have 100+ pal gc games)
    And shame for wii user without gc ports, as for this rev you still need gc controllers....
    pr0ton likes this.

tueidj I R Expert

Message Count:
    Pacific Ocean
    I will not be implementing any video mode patching, deal with it.
    • Newcomer

dorayaki95 New Member

Message Count:
    Malaysia
    finally........

Hielkenator New Member

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    Okay, I'll "deal" with it., I'll be on ebay looking for ntsc copy's.

daxtsu /dev/null

Message Count:
    United States
    Thank you for the release, Tueidj. I'll give it a go shortly. :)

NEW: Devolution Compatibility List: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Devolution_Compatibility_List

sk0ld New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    heh. this is funnier than you realize.

nice job tueidj.

wiismodrome flubber

Message Count:
    Seychelles
    LOL at the message at the end of the .bin file..... :P
    1 people like this.
    • Global Moderator

FIX94 Global Moderator

Message Count:
    Germany
    Hellz yea what do I see there, I'll check it out just now :)

SifJar Not a pirate

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Indeed, quite amusing.

GolfDude New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    anyone get lugiis mansion to work? i tried redumping a few times ,but it just does the 5 blinks and doesnt work.. eventhough it says my dump isnt verified, the details did match the dump site's details for the game, so maybe mansion isnt working in deevo? it just sits on a black screen, it wont even boot you to the hbc after the 5 flashes

Hielkenator New Member

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    Finally gc audio streaming! Works perfectly with starfox adventures!
    2 people like this.

Catastrophic Perfectly Normal

Message Count:
    Iceland
    Awesome! Thanks tueidj!

Prepare for a lot of complaints about having to use original disks to verify games though. And to be frank it does make the loader a bit useless as it HAS to be a cleanrip.

osm70 New Member

Message Count:
    Czech Republic
    I tried to play Paper Mario TTYD.
    After selecting ISO drive flash twice.
    If wrong disc is inserted, the disc will be ejected and it will flash twice again.(Thats normal)
    But if I insert correct disc drive flashes 4 times and kick be to HBC.
    Whats wrong? According to instructions storage device is already mounted at this point.

tueidj I R Expert

Message Count:
    Pacific Ocean
    It means there was a disc read error of some sort.

daxtsu /dev/null

Message Count:
    United States
    Is the Super Smash Bros. Melee NTSC crash a known issue(see my edited post on page 1)? Just curious. I'm not desperate to play it, I just wanted to let you know about it.

SPONSORED LINKS