Hacking Devolution - Public Release

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually saying a 3rd party usb loader is strange too.. they are not under license from Devolution or anything else.
The term "3rd party" does not imply a license, it mearly means it's someone or something that is independent from the 1st party:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_party said:
Third-party developer, a hardware or software developer independent of the primary product or platform that the consumer is using

Reactions: Etheboss

Cisz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Lovely, that was so much easier than mucking with the mIOS! The text in Homeland works perfectly! Connecting to the online portion gave an unknown error but that might have more to do with the official servers being shut down than the Broadband Adapter emulation. Apparently one has to beat the single player portion to unlock ability to connect to manual servers.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Connecting to the online portion gave an unknown error but that might have more to do with the official servers being shut down than the Broadband Adapter emulation.
It's probably more due to the fact that Devolution only supports the modem adapter, not the broadband adapter. Maybe if you very kindly ask tueidj on GC-Forever about such a thing, you may get more info on the feasability and/or status of such functionality?

Reactions: N7Kopper

Cisz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's probably more due to the fact that Devolution only supports the modem adapter, not the broadband adapter. Maybe if you very kindly ask tueidj on GC-Forever about such a thing, you may get more info on the feasability and/or status of such functionality?

Ah, that's it! I read what tueidj had written before and got the impression that Homeland might work. But yes, the game only supports the broadband adapter.

The modem is only usable with PSO Ep. I&II and PSO Ep III, it may be usable with Homeland but who knows.

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Devolution has higher compatibility over Nintendont, SSBM doesn't bleep when selecting characters, memory card writing is faster and doesn't cause stutter.
Seriously, I could write a decently sized list of why devo is still superior.

Reactions: barronwaffles

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Devolution has higher compatibility over Nintendont, SSBM doesn't bleep when selecting characters, memory card writing is faster and doesn't cause stutter.
Seriously, I could write a decently sized list of why devo is still superior.

I second to that. It's way more more better than Nintendont at the moment still, as I have all my originals backed up and working flawlessly.

naxil

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Are you sure tueidj will include wiimote + nunchuck support in a possible new release?

Future Improvements
Things that are already planned:
- Wiimote support
- BBA emulation
- USB microphone support instead of the GC microphone
Things that may be added:
- GBA connectivity to a GBA emulator via TCP/IP

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yes... but i think him want add wiimote solo or with nunchack for "emulate" the gc controlller
Not enough buttons. Maybe you could play Path of Radiance or Pokémon with that setup, but nothing action-oriented (the things with which you need more controllers anyhow)
Wiimotes are, as was stated, supported as an "options menu" of sorts, switching certain features on-the-fly. You can play with a Classic Controller hooked to the Wiimote, however.

Devolution is obsolete now. Use Nintendont.
Nintendont is clunky as hell. The only things it has over Devo is the ability to play compressed and patched isos, really early alpha Triforce support, video mode patching, and cheats. (With the sole exception of Devo's hardcoded support for the F-Zero AX in GX cheat) Really the only reason to use it otherwise is if you somehow can't get Devo's verification to work. (Super Monkey Ball, I'm looking at you and my eternal frustrations in trying to capture the debug logs, when I can effortlessly capture screenshots)

Nintendont is honestly very clunky compared to Devolution. Both the fact that Nintendont's memory card emulation is incredibly hackish, causing slowdown with read/write access to larger "cards", and disc swapping to outright fail with 16MB cards, and the facts that you can't use USB/Bluetooth controllers and GBAs at the same time, and that physical memory cards must be formatted in GCMM to be guaranteed to work, especially if official, means that Devo will win every time in a feature contest.

LAN play on Mario Kart: Double Dash doesn't work as of right now, either. I wonder if there'd be any bandwidth complications on wireless connections? Or the need for a go-between application, due to how the emulation works?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
ppl seem to forget the best feature nintendont has over devolution you dont need a wii that can read DVDs to use it annd this is a big thing lots of ppl have newer wiis that cant read dvds or wiius and devo will never work for them.

Traveller777

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey

Just a question. If I download a newer version, will I have to re-verify my disks?

EDIT: Actually, re-read the readme file, seems it should be ok if I am going from r200 forwards.

One other quick question. The hard drive needs to be Fat 32, I read somewhere once that it needs a specific cluster size, is that still true?

Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill