Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
You're forgetting the other major first party releases coming this year. Smash Brothers being one of them. This won't the only time Wii-U sales jump. ;)

Sales jump =/= interests starting to "pick up". If anything, Smash Bros will lift the sales of the Wii U exactly the same as the MK8 did, a couple hundred thousand console sales at best, then back to some tiny fraction it's been selling for the past couple years. We've heard this same argument over and over. "Oh! Super Mario will sell the console for sure! Mario Kart will sell so many consoles! Zelda is gonna make the Wii U soooo great!" Protip, it didn't for the Gamecube, it didn't for the N64, and it's not for the Wii U.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Well my basis for "interest is starting to pick up" it's more of that I'm hearing a bit more chatter about the Wii-U on the internet then usual, so it's not entirely sales based. I'm not trying to defend the Wii-U. It's probably going to be a flop either way. Stop trying to start an argument over something we both already agree on. :P

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sales jump =/= interests starting to "pick up". If anything, Smash Bros will lift the sales of the Wii U exactly the same as the MK8 did, a couple hundred thousand console sales at best, then back to some tiny fraction it's been selling for the past couple years. We've heard this same argument over and over. "Oh! Super Mario will sell the console for sure! Mario Kart will sell so many consoles! Zelda is gonna make the Wii U soooo great!" Protip, it didn't for the Gamecube, it didn't for the N64, and it's not for the Wii U.

because for some reason alot of people rejected the anime style of WW, so sad cause it is one of the best games ever made
it could boost wii u sales , if nintendo were not do dumb they would have had a full zelda title at launch or at the very least within a year
but the newer consoles are probably planning on a 10 years lifespan , since sony said they wanted a 10 year span for the ps3 but didnt quite make it
so if the wii u has another 6 or 7 or more years before a new console gen then that is the same lifespan as the wii ,post zelda wiiu lifespan will be at least 6 years ,at least as long as the lifespan of the wii ,price drops and a zelda release should be able to boost sales and get some more 3rd party support before it is all over , hopefully
because the next gen may not have any physical media , this could be the last gen of modable consoles sadly

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
because for some reason alot of people rejected the anime style of WW, so sad cause it is one of the best games ever made it could boost wii u sales , if nintendo were not do dumb they would have had a full zelda title at launch or at the very least within a year
but the newer consoles are probably planning on a 10 years lifespan , since sony said they wanted a 10 year span for the ps3 but didnt quite make it
so if the wii u has another 6 or 7 or more years before a new console gen then that is the same lifespan as the wii ,post zelda wiiu lifespan will be at least 6 years ,at least as long as the lifespan of the wii ,price drops and a zelda release should be able to boost sales and get some more 3rd party support before it is all over , hopefully because the next gen may not have any physical media , this could be the last gen of modable consoles sadly
It almost became a tradition with Nintendo to launch systems with no notable first-party releases, which is a curious phenomenon - they're expecting third-party to push the console at launch while having terrible relations with third-party developers. The last Nintendo system that launched with worthwhile Nintendo content was probably the N64 with Mario 64, maybe the Gamecube with Luigi's Mansion, but that game had nowhere near as much "bang". The Big N seems to release the most high-profile games long after the launch hype period, and that's a bad idea.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It almost became a tradition with Nintendo to launch systems with no notable first-party releases, which is a curious phenomenon - they're expecting third-party to push the console at launch while having terrible relations with third-party developers. The last Nintendo system that launched with worthwhile Nintendo content was probably the N64 with Mario 64.

well snes and n64 launched wit mario titles, since then though you are right

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nintendo has to realize that it's the launch period when people are most hyped for a system and a barrage of quality titles can really work wonders in terms of building up an install base. Had the Wii U launched with Smash Bros., a new Zelda, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart and maybe a new Metroid, people would kill to own one. Alas, we only got New Super Mario Bros. U - I can see why the audience sizzled quietly instead of roaring.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo has to realize that it's the launch period when people are most hyped for a system and a barrage of quality titles can really work wonders in terms of building up an install base. Had the Wii U launched with Smash Bros., a new Zelda, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart and maybe a new Metroid, people would kill to own one. Alas, we only got New Super Mario Bros. U - I can see why the audience sizzled quietly instead of roaring.

i know, and if they really wanted to do something they should bring back the days of then"pack in" it's like there is no competition ,everyone always does the same old shit now, if they kept it a secret and then had a surprise 1st part major title pack in of one of the franchises you mentioned above like they did with the snes at least it would be something their other 2 competitors are not doing ,that would set them apart

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

But... but the Virtual Boy launched with a Mario game too D: Don't people like Mario Tennis?
Well in case of N64 they could pull it off what they did with Wii U since people were hyped because of the transition from 2D Mario to 3D Mario. With the Wii U we had a transition from SD to HD... which PS3 and 360 already did years ago...

natkoden

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Like Smash and... uhh... err... uhh... Zelda in 2015... and... uhh... erm...

Bayonetta 1 and 2
X
Star fox
Splatoon (yes, it looked cool, shut your trap)
Yoshi's Woolly World
Hyrule Warriors
Captain Toad
Kirby

Shall we compare it to PS4 and Xbone?

Just saying...

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bayonetta 1 and 2
X
Star fox
Yoshi's Woolly World
Hyrule Warriors
Captain Toad
Kirby

Just saying...

how long have xbone and ps4 been out,how long has wiiu been out for?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Bayonetta 1 and 2
X
Star fox
Yoshi's Woolly World
Hyrule Warriors
Captain Toad
Kirby

Just saying...
Bayonetta was a niche title even when it was multiplatform, work has only just begun on StarFox so we're nowhere near the release, Splatoon was... "okay", Yoshi's Woolly World is an acquired taste judging by Kirby's Epic Yarn, Hyrule Warriors appears to be hated even by Zelda fans (although I'm quite excited for it since I like the occasional Dynasty Warriors bout), Captain Toad is a mini-game collection cross Super Mario 3D World off-shot and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse has no release date as of yet. We're left off with X, aka Xenoblade Yawnicles 2, and I famoulsy hate the original game, so it doesn't fill me with confidence. Again, a big portion of this is meh-worthy and most is coming out in 2015 - a bit of an issue there.

All I'm saying is that this kind of stuff should've been released by now to build momentum, Nintendo had ample time to prepare for a system launch and they've messed it up again, which seems to be a tradition at this point.

dragonmaster

Ancient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
it would be a laughable situation if someone releases a full exploit with kernel acess etc leaving all those in the dark and no need of hardware mods just like ps3 3.55 era heh .
i would use a cfw to my wii u with no remorse i mean why to pay of gba games and nds while i have the original cartidges ;)

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Bayonetta 1 and 2
X
Star fox
Yoshi's Woolly World
Hyrule Warriors
Captain Toad
Kirby

Just saying...
The thing is that with the exception of Bayonetta fans, those interested in those games already have a wiiu. It's easy to say that those other consoles release nothing but sequels, but it's the kind of sequels they want to play. That's why foxi just mentions smash bros and Zelda: because those garner interest to gamers not already having one.

Okay, if splatoon delivers on what it sets out to do, it may become popular outside the wiiu audience. But the quality has to be EXTREMELY good for it.

lismati

Speedrunner in practice
Trophies
Website
www.wiiplanet.info
XP
Country
Poland
I don't think one should say anything about competition in the field of ODEs for WiiU, since both Wiikey U and UDE are nothing but websites at this point.

I can too, do a website advertising TURD (Turbo Utility for Rewriting Data) for WiiU, that has claims out of my ass, like playing games straight from Torrent sites, coming soon to Walmart/MediaMarkt/Biedronka near you.

Reactions: Taleweaver

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: they need to have a strong line up on the launch titles too. I think they should move metroid...