Cobra "UDE" Announced (Wii U)

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's going to make it a lot worse. Any hope of third party games is virtually gone.

Quote from Piracy Myths Thread
There is no correlation between systems that fail (or succeed) and piracy. Multiple systems have failed terribly without any piracy in their lifetime (Virtual Boy, N-Gage, CD-i), while other systems that had piracy enabled for the majority of their lifetime ended up being some of the top sellers of their generation (PS1, Wii, GBA, DS, etc.)

This holds true for games as well, for example the PS3 was the last console of the 7th generation to be hacked (and patched the hacks quickly and recent models are unhackable), yet it sold many less games than the Wii, which was the first to be hacked (and does not patch hacks quickly, and still has hackable models being sold).

http://gbatemp.net/threads/piracy-common-myths.344858/

There's no correlation with the two in the past with failed and successful systems, and there never will be. People are too damned paranoid. If people can provide non-paranoia based statistics that prove to the contrary, sure, but I don't count on it. I don't seem to recall the PSP, DS, GBA, PS2, PS3, Wii, or PSX failing because of piracy. And no. the Dreamcast failed due to consistently made bad decisions, not piracy. Sorry, but that's simply false information and has been refuted time and time again.

Piracy hurting sales is fearmongering and flagrantly false in every aspect. Don't believe what people tell you that say it does, because there is no proof or grounds to back it up.

Reactions: Zetta_x

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Quote from Piracy Myths Thread

http://gbatemp.net/threads/piracy-common-myths.344858/

There's no correlation with the two in the past with failed and successful systems, and there never will be. People are too damned paranoid. If people can provide non-paranoia based statistics that prove to the contrary, sure, but I don't count on it. I don't seem to recall the PSP, DS, GBA, PS2, PS3, Wii, or PSX failing because of piracy. And no. the Dreamcast failed due to consistently made bad decisions, not piracy. Sorry, but that's simply false information and has been refuted time and time again.

Piracy hurting sales is fearmongering and flagrantly false in every aspect. Don't believe what people tell you that say it does, because there is no proof or grounds to back it up.
There's no proof or grounds to back that quote up. Just because piracy alone hasn't killed a system, that doesn't mean it has no effect.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
always turning into a piracy discussion at the 'temp :)

i am probably the filthiest pirate here, i woudl consider myself to have advanced scurvy basically.

i went next gen with a wii u and 3ds but i knew coming in i would be buying games and i have bought some games. if i buy a system that has piracy enabled, i do not intend to buy any games (unless an exploit is needed).

i do not think my habits affect sales and developer support. i also think a lot of people tend to think like me in this scene. our purchases are calculated, either we are going to buy or we aren't, the sales are only boosted when we do purchase but you cannot say they are hurt when we don't.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no proof or grounds to back that quote up. Just because piracy alone hasn't killed a system, that doesn't mean it has no effect.

It has an affect, but there's no proof that states piracy kills consoles. If you want to doubt what Rydian says, be my guest, but there's no proof that piracy kills consoles. Affects them to a degree, sure, but killing them off and/or making them fail is utter bullshit without any substantiation whatsoever. Piracy doesn't equate to console failure. Period. Either prove to the contrary or people shouldn't be so effing paranoid about it. Piracy can't be stopped. I never said it doesn't have an effect, I only stated that it never killed.

I'll take his word over the fear-mongering words of others.

Rob Blou

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think the consoles that suffered the most from piracy were the dreamcast and the PSP ... the main problem is when 3rd parties don't want to make games for a system anymore because of piracy. The PS2 was the real reason for the death of the Dreamcast, but a lot of 3rd parties dev switched to the PS2 because of piracy. As someone said earlier, used games are way worst than piracy :P

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the consoles that suffered the most from piracy were the dreamcast and the PSP ... the main problem is when 3rd parties don't want to make games for a system anymore because of piracy. The PS2 was the real reason for the death of the Dreamcast, but a lot of 3rd parties dev switched to the PS2 because of piracy. As someone said earlier, used games are way worst than piracy :P

PS2 piracy was also very rampant too and that console had like a 13 year life span. Piracy does not directly co-relate to console failure at all. I'm not endorsing piracy, but just stating a simple fact. Just about anybody with the slightest bit of technical savvy and a dvd burner could pirate ps2 games if he/she wanted to. Purchase a Swap Magic (and a way to swap discs stealthily) and you could play the vast majority of games on the market for free. No soldering or messy installation business required.

Again, not endorsing piracy, but if one wanted to, it was fairly simple to do. Swap Magic was for use with legitimate backups, imports and homebrew, but alas like anything else, its a tool. It can be used for legitimate purposes or illegitimate purposes (in the eyes of the law). I'm not going to get in a debate here about whether or not piracy is wrong either. Its an endless debate with many different opinions. But as far as the law is concerned in most countries, what we are referring to as 'piracy' is illegal.

HDLOADER: anybody remember this app? It made piracy so easy your grandma could do it, no swapping required, no burning discs, no soldering, no case opening, nothing. This was for the PS2 too. It actually revolutionized the way we all play backups today. PS2 did just fine even though anybody could purchase this software online (all you had to do was google it, or go to your favorite mod shop).

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

lel wut? First of all, the PSP sold 80 million units. For a first handheld, that's absolutely amazing. To put it into perspective, the Gameboy Advance (including the original GBA, the SP, and the Micro) sold approximately 81 million units. Piracy had no effect on the sales of the PSP. Also, it only took something like a year or so for the Wii to get it's first exploit, and that arguably had a hell of a lot more piracy and homebrew than any other console at the time. But gosh! Piracy kills consoles right?? So the Wii must've failed horribly right????

Secondly, piracy had nothing to do with the Dreamcast's failure, hell it was initially regarded as a great success compared to the Sega Saturn (which, while a great console, didn't do well at all). The reason the Dreamcast failed was because Sega was bleeding money at the time and the PS2 released 2 years later which pretty much shat on the Dreamcast in terms of sales and features (DVD support and such which was the big deal at the time), piracy had nothing to do with it.

Reactions: the_randomizer

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lel wut? First of all, the PSP sold 80 million units. For a first handheld, that's absolutely amazing. To put it into perspective, the Gameboy Advance (including the original GBA, the SP, and the Micro) sold approximately 81 million units. Piracy had no effect on the sales of the PSP. Also, it only took something like a year or so for the Wii to get it's first exploit, and that arguably had a hell of a lot more piracy and homebrew than any other console at the time. But gosh! Piracy kills consoles right?? So the Wii must've failed horribly right????

Secondly, piracy had nothing to do with the Dreamcast's failure, hell it was initially regarded as a great success compared to the Sega Saturn (which, while a great console, didn't do well at all). The reason the Dreamcast failed was because Sega was bleeding money at the time and the PS2 released 2 years later which pretty much shat on the Dreamcast in terms of sales and features (DVD support and such which was the big deal at the time), piracy had nothing to do with it.

Original Wii came out in November 2006, the world's first modchip for it was released two months later in January 2007, it was called the "Wiinja." lmao, but for homebrew etc you are correct, I think it took about a year or so for that.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Original Wii came out in November 2006, the world's first modchip for it was released two months later in January 2007, it was called the "Wiinja." lmao, but for homebrew etc you are correct, I think it took about a year or so for that.

Ah yes, I was referring to easy-access softmods and such, not the first modchips.:lol:

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah yes, I was referring to easy-access softmods and such, not the first modchips.:lol:

Okay, but I figured this was worth mentioning since we're on the topic of "piracy affecting console sales." The Wiinja was for playing backups, but of course one could misuse it too ;)

Attachments

• wiinjacloseup.jpg
    wiinjacloseup.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 205

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
It has an affect, but there's no proof that states piracy kills consoles. If you want to doubt what Rydian says, be my guest, but there's no proof that piracy kills consoles. Affects them to a degree, sure, but killing them off and/or making them fail is utter bullshit without any substantiation whatsoever. Piracy doesn't equate to console failure. Period. Either prove to the contrary or people shouldn't be so effing paranoid about it. Piracy can't be stopped. I never said it doesn't have an effect, I only stated that it never killed.

I'll take his word over the fear-mongering words of others.
Three things
  1. Go to your nearest drug store, pick up Chill Pill OTC, and take one dosage as directed by the instructions.
  2. I NEVER said piracy would kill a console on its own. I did imply that it would have a negative effect on 3rd party development, but that's it.
  3. "Good point...piracy isn't going to make its situation any worse. That's just it, it isn't going to affect it." You literally said it would have no effect.

Rob Blou

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

hah ... Have you read my post before replying? I'm saying that the PS2 was the real reason for the Dreamcast death and that used game is a lot worst than piracy. I'm not saying that Piracy kills consoles at all. The PSP info came from sony directly ... yes they sold xillions of PSPs but you should know that companies don't make money by selling consoles (a lot of them actually lose money) and the problem with the PSP is that it had a low games sold per console rate. Again, I never said that piracy killed the PSP or the Dreamcast but sony did say that Piracy killed the PSP and didn't even made it profitable: http://www.1up.com/news/sony-believes-piracy-psp-biggest .

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hah ... Have you read my post before replying? I'm saying that the PS2 was the real reason for the Dreamcast death and that used game is a lot worst than piracy. I'm not saying that Piracy kills consoles at all. The PSP info came from sony directly ... yes they sold xillions of PSPs but you should know that companies don't make money by selling consoles (a lot of them actually lose money) and the problem with the PSP is that it had a low games sold per console rate. Again, I never said that piracy killed the PSP or the Dreamcast but sony did say that Piracy killed the PSP and didn't even made it profitable: http://www.1up.com/news/sony-believes-piracy-psp-biggest .

80,000,000 isn't profitable? I'd hate to find out what a commercial failure is according to them.

Rob Blou

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
80,000,000 isn't profitable? I'd hate to find out what a commercial failure is according to them.

It might have been exaggerated by Sony to make people realize that it was really hurting the PSP :P But yeah ... Nintendo has been criticized by some of its share holders because the Wii U didn't have a price cut and Iwata's answer was that they still believed in selling consoles with a profit, a concept that Sony gave up since the PS3 and I'm pretty sure that M$ never made a profit with any of their consoles. Games and Accessories are what makes it profitable. I remember working at a video game store and at some point we refused selling an Xbox without a game or an accessory because we were paying the consoles 302$ and we sold it 299$. We were told that microsoft was losing a lot of money per consoles :S You can read more about it here: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-taking-126-hit-per-xbox-360/1100-6140383/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Snow days $25 on steam may grab it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Measuring sizes with AncientBoi, I see.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then