Hacking 3DS flashcart came out and video inside

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Etalon said:
I'm just a bit curious right now why we hear nothing frim Team Supercard.

Hours and hours have passed now.... Nothing?
No 3DS yet?
laugh.gif

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ramonra said:
Etalon said:
Ramonra said:
Etalon said:
What ? Ramonra ?
blink.gif

According to this, it's that way.

Thay may be speaking shit. Though I doubt so.

That's crap for sure. Team Acekard already confirmed that thry got their card working.

I don't think that this will work for long. But right now, this is obviously going to work just like DSi.

Team Acekard is Team Acekard.

They could have worked around it differently.

Where'd the quote come from in that PCMag article come from?
"Let me just clear things up. This is not a 3DS flashcart. It is the R4 used on Dsi. It is not possible to play 3DS games from it. You can't use your current DS flashcart (no matter what brand) on it. The R4 team has managed to hack the 3DS in order to make it run. Nintendo has made a "whitelist," built into the 3DS. It's a lit that contains the names of all games that can be played on the 3DS. These guys have modified this list, making it possible to run their flashcart. There, you can not do this unless you hack the system yourself. Expect Nintendo to release a firmware update to block the R4 cards once again."
Because I think that's rather incorrect.

1). The spelling and typos are atrocious.
2). They said that R4i modified the whitelist? If they could do that, then it wouldn't matter if Nintendo re-blocked the card since they could just add it back until an update came out and closed off whatever they did to edit the whitelist.
3). Seems VERY soon to be able to get any meaningful hack so quickly, on the other hand using the same 'exploit' they used for the DSi -changing what the cart identifies itself as- is FAR more believable.

QUOTE(mercluke @ Feb 27 2011, 12:42 AM)
QUOTE(twiztidsinz @ Feb 27 2011, 11:42 AM)
So you're saying that Team Cyclops had a DS-in-DSi mode card
I said nothing of the sort, it was ds mode, I even mentioned this in my post

I admit maybe my wording may have been a little off but when I mentioned The ievo I only mentioned it because it can boot in both ds and dsi mode
I meant DSi-in-DS-Mode, I mistyped (fixed in my original post and made a note of it). Maybe things are just going too fast and responding at that speed is causing confusion all around.

raiderscrusade

Trophies
XP
Country
If they've modified the whitelist.. then couldn't they release how and then everyone can modify it to suit their own flashcart?

Example, say I got a M3 Simply, given I modify the whitelist to allow the M3 Simply to pass, it would work, correct?

Or is this DSi-only flashcarts..?

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No.

DS-Only carts do not feature an updateable bootloader, because it was unnecessary. (well they do, but it requires resoldering it and making a huge mess)

DSi carts DO feature an updateable bootloader.

EDIT: Just realised what you meant, and no.

If they could modify the whitelist, whatever happened to "unhackable"?

Nintendo isn't THAT fucking retarded. PCMag doesn't know shit about the DS Scene.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
raiderscrusade said:
If they've modified the whitelist.. then couldn't they release how and then everyone can modify it to suit their own flashcart?

Example, say I got a M3 Simply, given I modify the whitelist to allow the M3 Simply to pass, it would work, correct?

Or is this DSi-only flashcarts..?Exactly why I think that PCMag article is (and whoever said that quote) is wrong.

QUOTE(Evo.lve @ Feb 27 2011, 12:48 AM) EDIT: Just realised what you meant, and no.

Nintendo isn't THAT fucking retarded. PCMag doesn't know shit about the DS Scene.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2381021,00.asp
"Let me just clear things up. This is not a 3DS flashcart. It is the R4 used on Dsi. It is not possible to play 3DS games from it. You can't use your current DS flashcart (no matter what brand) on it. The R4 team has managed to hack the 3DS in order to make it run. Nintendo has made a "whitelist," built into the 3DS. It's a lit that contains the names of all games that can be played on the 3DS. These guys have modified this list, making it possible to run their flashcart. There, you can not do this unless you hack the system yourself. Expect Nintendo to release a firmware update to block the R4 cards once again."

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Etalon said:
Evo.lve, could you please stop talking about kid crap and discuss the interesting stuff for now..?
mellow.gif

What's up with DS2? Dead?

Since when was resoldering a PCB and perfect logic kid stuff?
unsure.gif

Seriously though, I don't think the DS2 team even have a 3DS yet.

EDIT: @twistid isn't this just a bootloader update? PCMag is wrong, that much is obvious.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Evo.lve said:
Etalon said:
Evo.lve, could you please stop talking about kid crap and discuss the interesting stuff for now..?
mellow.gif

unsure.gif

MOM! DAD! STOP FIGHTING!!!
CAN'T YOU SEE WHAT YOU'RE DOING TO THIS FAMILY?!

Etalon

Former Akaio Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Macau
You are right, but everybody in the scene knows that. It's not neccessary to point that out... --

Ah, DS2. That makes sense, actually. Good. Thx.

@twiztidsinz: lol. Full points.
blush.gif

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
twiztidsinz said:
Evo.lve said:
Etalon said:
mellow.gif

unsure.gif

MOM! DAD! STOP FIGHTING!!!
CAN'T YOU SEE WHAT YOU'RE DOING TO THIS FAMILY?!

Looool.

No but seriously, for about the 5th time, it's impossible that they've modified the whitelist.

BloodRose

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
twiztidsinz said:
raiderscrusade said:

Or is this DSi-only flashcarts..?Exactly why I think that PCMag article is (and whoever said that quote) is wrong.

QUOTE(Evo.lve @ Feb 27 2011, 12:48 AM) EDIT: Just realised what you meant, and no.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2381021,00.asp

That whitelist story sounds like complete and utter horseshit to me. I'm no expert on this subject but surely if that were the case then surely it would be easier for the card manufacturer to flash the PCB to ID itself as an NDS game than to reprogram the console's internal title ID database, should such a subsystem even exist within the 3DS architecture.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Etalon said:
You are right, but everybody in the scene knows that. It's not neccessary to point that out... --

Ah, DS2. That makes sense, actually. Good. Thx.

@twiztidsinz: lol. Full points.
blush.gif

KingVamp said:
QUOTE(Etalon @ Feb 26 2011, 11:42 PM) I'm just a bit curious right now why we hear nothing frim Team Supercard.

Hours and hours have passed now.... Nothing?
No 3DS yet?
laugh.gif

My post from the past will like to have a word with you
laugh.gif

Yea I didn't think this PCMag thing was right.

sightlight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
86 User(s) are reading this topic (44 Guests and 2 Anonymous Users)

and here they go and delete this post or ban me.

LOL refresing refresing..

Edit: Minutes passed, im surprise! love you mods!

ds mode all i need to run my own code.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
Modify the whitelist , we wouldn't even need a flashcart. 3DS ROMS will be patch to just suit the whitelist
or vice versa right?
Since the article is full of non-sense beyond the actual fact that a flash cart can be run on a 3DS, don't take too much from what it says on a technical level. It's like the Forrest Gump version of events.

There is no whitelist of ALL games. Recent games are signed with an RSA signature in the header. So unless the hackers broke the RSA key then that's not the method used. If they had you could sign your flashcart to run whatever you wanted, just like fiasco going on in the PS3 scene. We can safely assume the flashcart makers are not even close to the Team Twiizer's level of hacking abilities which rules out an RSA key leak.

Older games are signed using SHA1 hashes. But these values are stored in the NAND. Good luck 'changing' that table without direct hardware access or writing your own firmware. We can assume that considering how 'fast' other groups are jumping onto this, this isn't what's happening either.

Thus we can assume they are using a variant of the existing hack that tricks the 3DS into DS mode. Nintendo probably couldn't plug the hole entirely without basically obliterating backwards compatibility. Thus they just changed in a minor way the calls the 3DS makes to the cart. Most DSi carts are coded to output a specific sequence for each call which eventually triggers the DS mode glitch, so a minor change in the call structure would initially make the carts not work.

We're at the point which I suspected where DS games will be playable on the 3DS via a flashcart. Whether 3DS games will eventually be playable is to be honest questionable considering the general lack of updates on this front except for the recent iEvo which isn't 100% there yet, or the Sudoku hack which no longer works.

idulkoan

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
dslitehacks.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
sightlight said:
86 User(s) are reading this topic (44 Guests and 2 Anonymous Users)

and here they go and delete this post or ban me.

LOL refresing refresing..

Edit: Minutes passed, im surprise! love you mods!

ds mode all i need to run my own code.
Haha dude I think they didn't delete it because you said that they will delete post/ban

on topic: Does any1 know if its gonna be easy to dump roms? I would luv it if ds mode is actually cracked for the 3ds by next month or in 2 months, cause Im going to recieve mine on march 31. Many videos on the internet show flashcarts running on the 3ds, which I find kinda fishy... it cant be thaaat easy... Nintendo would really let ds mode become hackable, and put full security in 3ds mode?? well, it will surly get them money, because many ppl will indeed buy this system, and then all nintendo has to do it relese an update,, and BAM. ds mode gone. does any1 know or have confirmed that you will get ur ds bricked if u have flashcarts on it, or nintendo will ban you? I dont find it likly since the wii just deleted the files, and dsi just stopped flashcarts, not destroy them/the system

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
Rydian said:
twiztidsinz said:
So you're saying that Team Cyclops had a DS-in-DSi mode card for nearly 3 years, but didn't want to release it?
Yeah... I'm calling bullshit.

That's nearly 3 years of reduced sales for....... no valid reason?
http://hackmii.com/2010/02/lawsuit-coming-in-3-2-1/

This article's titled "Lawsuit coming in 3.. 2.. 1.." for a reason, as the iEvolution comes unflashed for the same reason.

Legal issues.
I've read that so many times... and fail to see what it has to do with anything in this case.
- Datel was never sued over it (correct me if I'm wrong).
- Other teams put out DSi-in-DS-Mode cards, and that wouldn't have been TC's first Flashcard.
- The first 'batch' of cards didn't need this (correct me if I'm wrong) since AceKard was able to show the "AK2" icon + "Acekard 2i//www.acekard.com" header prior to the 1.4 update, correct?

Maybe I'm just thinking of this too much like a business person, but if they had the means to do this I cannot comprehend them not doing so. Even if only to remain competitive with everyone else who was doing it.
I realize that as Mercluke said, 'they were waiting for hax', but for 3 years? That's just bad business IMO.

It can really depend on the country. In some regions the device itself is illegal since it can be used to circumvent the DS security. In other places only the software itself is illegal since the device as sold is useless. I think ultimately it might have been a business decision. The market was saturated with clones, that had access to the very factories making their own product. They couldn't compete with the clones undercutting them. So they pursued a method in which they could justify the increased cost by differntiateing themselves from other clones.

Nintendo has been VERY protective of their stuff in Japan, blocking imports of flashcarts, and even getting laws passed making digital copies of games illegal in Japan (you can see that on new NDS games which load with the Japanese equivalent of the old FBI logo telling you not to steal). It's not clear why they never really pursued it beyond their country however. Certainly you could at the very least make a trademark infringement by using the Game and Watch logo, even if the hack itself was legal. It's a bit odd especially considering Sony's very very heavy handed smashing of the PS3Jailbreak and the subsequent arrests.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Chips Ahoy cookies :D:wub::D